UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girls were spayed on Monday, we tried putting the collars the vet gave us on that evening but they were both clearly miserable and unable to relax with them on so we took them off. Since then neither has been particularly bothered with licking their wounds. This morning we got up and one of them has a pink patch on the shaved area, there is less fur growing back there too so I think she must have been licking it a lot in the night. During the day I think it's got a little larger and we've seen her licking it a few times too. We will put the collar on her after she's had her tea but is there anything else we can do to make her stop it? Any ideas why she is grooming there so much but isn't bothered with the wound itself? They had their post op checks last night and the vet said their wounds were fine, typically the sore looking patch appeared today!

·
Registered
212 Posts
After my female cat was spayed she didn't need a collar as the vet stitched from the inside (so no visible stitches she could pick open!) but we still had to keep an eye on her in case she excessively groomed the area. She did groom the area but more the shaved bit rather than the incision itself. Your cat will be feeling strange sensations there for a while yet, the tightenings inside of the stiches pulling perhaps, you may see some twitching...it took a good 10-14 days or so for her to finally lose interest in the area and treat it like any other!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, it is probably due to the fact that were she has been shaved it is an extremely close shave and it will be itchy and that is the cause of her over grooming. I am a dog groomer and veterinary nurse and if i ever have to de-mat a dog i always explain to the owner that they more than likely will be itchy for a bit due to close shaving (if their coats are really bad) Cats are also very very clean animals (well usually). I would encourage you to use the buster collar given. If she starts licking the operation site it could and probably will delay the healing process. Buster collars should always be used regardless of external or internal incisions as I've unfortunately had patients take their stitches out and they were hidden under the skin it's due to the fact that it does take time for the layers of skin to rejoin again. Hope this helps and she is back to normal in no time :)
Sarah

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, I hadn't really thought about the whole area being itchy after the shaving but it makes sense. I put the collar on her last night but she's managing to get it off. She seems herself this morning but the pink patch still looks sore :( They have a vet appointment anyway on Tuesday so I'll keep an eye on it until then, will obviously go sooner if it seems to be causing her discomfort.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.