Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Overfed or underfed

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Emily200, May 19, 2020.

1. Emily200

Emily200 PetForums Newbie

Hi,

I have an 8 week old cockerpoo puppy. I’ve never had a dog before and am finding the information on her food bags confusing and then struggling to take into account the treats she has.

Her breeder was feed her 100g of Arden Grange Puppy food a day split into 4 meals, we have been doing the same but with treats it’s seems like to much so we are now feeding her 75g a day split into 3 meals which we soften with hot water - not as much as the pack suggests or for aslong as we’re trying to get her to the point of just eating kibble but it’s always room tempt when we serve it. she has quite a few treats as we are toilet training and teaching her tricks. Each treat is 4 kcal ish and she probs has around 25 a day at the moment which seems like a lot but we’re trying to reinforce good behaviours.

Please can someone advise is this is too much to too little as she has had lose stoles since he got her around 5 days ago, she is having probiotics on her food which seem to help a little. Also should we continue to soften her food?

Great full for any help, I’m googling a lot but getting a lot of conflicting information.

Thanks

2. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Not sure why you want to give her 25 treats a day. I would have thought they would stop meaning anything. I have never given a puppy a single treat and had no problem with training them. Puppies love praise and a fuss. I have never measured food either. I feed what they eat up and that keeps them in good condition. A pup that age is not going to eat more than it needs and is not going to get fat. I would go by what the breeder was feeding initially and then play about with it when she gets more established. If you are stuffing treats into her all day that could well account for her being a loose or it could be just the stress of leaving her mother and coming to a new home. I would soften her food at that age. I have never given kibble to a young puppy but it makes sense as I expect the breeder would have softened it
    Relax and treat her as an individual and enjoy her.

rona, wee man and Emily200 like this.
  3. Emily200

Emily200 PetForums Newbie

Thank you :)

4. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

I'd ditch the treats and instead use her kibble as the 'treat'. My dogs get their food as rewards throughout the day, there's no way my dogs would learn properly without a nice reward, so keep up with the food rewards but just use her normal food, and keep the treats for more distracting environments like out and about where a bit of kibble might not cut it. I agree that the treats might account for the loose poo, plus the upheaval of a new home, so keep to her normal food for now with special treats for special reasons.

rona, Torin., Emily200 and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice