Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Overexcited when training

Discussion in 'Dog Tricks and Games' started by shadowmare, Mar 23, 2017.

1. shadowmare

shadowmare The dog doesn't bite, me on the other hand...

Right. So since Axel is on limited exercise at the moment, I have been trying to occupy him (and me) with some extra training. The problem I am having with him is that he goes WILD when we're training. It's like he will try to offer me every behaviour he knows in a matter of seconds to get a treat... the problem is that it genuinely looks like he doesn't actually think when he's doing it all. He will continue to offer the same behaviour time and time again (e.g. backing up on any items not even involved in training when I am teaching him to bow). I try not to say "no" and just ignore any wrong offerings but even if I go a step back and repeat the basic steps a few times and he seems to get it, as soon as I want him to offer the behaviour, he will go back to doing everything and anything else :confused: today I was teaching him to put his paw on his nose... he offered it without a cue a couple of times, got clicks and lots of treats and then suddenly as if there was some sort of click in his brain and next thing I knew he started offering me "roll over", "sit pretty" and "back up" o_O
    any advise on how to get him to focus or settle a little bit more? or is it more a thing of getting used to using his brain and it will come with practice?

P.s. anyone has good links to blogs, websites or videos for trick training with tricks and steps for training them?

2. leashedForLife

for "limited motion" behaviors, give him a limited AREA in which to work - an elevated surface [table, dais, step-up exercise platform, ___ ], a bed with 3 sides made of a fat draft-blocking stuffed tube, a 3-sided cardboard box, the lower half of a shipping-crate, or some other "just this big" space.
    the landing of a flight of stairs will work, too.
    If none of the above are available, TETHER him short so he can't go bonkers, but has just 15-inches to 2-ft max of free cable to move about on.

shadowmare likes this.
  3. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

Thai can get amped up in training to the point that he just throws out known cues in an attempt to get the reward.

I found that lowering the value of the reward helped in some cases, I also taught a "wait" which I use if he starts to throw out cues.
    Watch your treat delivery too. A thrown treat is much more exciting than one given from your hand or placing it on the floor.
    Lots and lots of impulse control exercises too.

Control unleashed is a good read :)

Cleo38, shadowmare and leashedForLife like this.
  4. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

I agree with Terry about using a platform as it certainly teaches calm focus.

I'm using platforms with my puppy, having never used them before, and I'm pretty pleased with the results.

She was only about 13 weeks old when this photo was taken and put herself in the sit on the first session. I can now run around her clapping my hands, throw toys over her head and trail the flirt pole in front of her. I've started introducing it for a recall, etc. and we now have a bigger platform for the down. The beauty of it is that she will put herself back on the platform between exercises and sit calmly and focused. They really seem to enjoy it too as she will be trying to get on it before I've even put it on the floor.

P1000927 (2).JPG

leashedForLife and shadowmare like this.
  5. shadowmare

shadowmare The dog doesn't bite, me on the other hand...

Will definitely have a look around for some type of platform thing! Never actually thought if it...
    Will also think of how I'm handing the treats. It's hard to find a lower value treat with Axel as he works literally for anything - his enthusiasm for a bit of cooked chicken, some basic kibble or even a leaf of spinach is exactly the same... but I do tend to throw a treat on the floor for him. Will try just hand it to him in a very calm manner!

leashedForLife likes this.
  6. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

You can make a platform. All you need is a bit of strong board and stick carpet on the top and a runner each side underneath.

leashedForLife likes this.
  7. leashedForLife

Carpet samples or waste cuts are often freebies - U may want to bind the edges, so they don't ravel. ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice