Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Overexcited and overly licky !?!?!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Oscar12, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Oscar12

Oscar12 PetForums Member

Maisie has came out of her shell so to speak. The once timid little mite has become a bundle of zoom zoom zoom :)
    One thing we're trying to deal with is her obsession with licking. Im talking frantic slobbery all over the place kisses :drool:
    When we are clapping her, talking to her, tryyiinggg to get a cuddle ... Tongues out and we get licked to death. We're going through the process of telling her to sit and 'stop' which works for all of 2 seconds.. She sits and squirms all impatient like.. Then straight back to the licking. Also trieeeddd a wee tongue pince if we can get it (not a grab or anything that would hurt) but something to make her think 'oh,the stop is with these lovely kisses'
    She gets quite worked up but then will just as quickly go and lie in another room with a toy or a chew.
    Anyone else have a puppy/dog that went through this? And any advise on how to curb it?
    Oscars really good.. He gives kisses when asked and although he can be as jumpy as Maisie when he's greeting me he knows when kisses are allowed. Maisie gives them when asked too but I think this has nothing to do with me asking for them :rolleyes:

2. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Good luck with curing that!;) I cant help as I also have an obsessive licker and I dont think Ive found anything to make her stop. (well, if you hold her away then she will just lick the air so you dont get covered in dogspit!!LOL).:D

3. Oscar12

Oscar12 PetForums Member

Damn, really thought this was an easy fix lol.
    Yeah the holding her at arms length works but that's when the wavy paws and wriggly bum come out :rolleyes5:

4. BabyBlu

BabyBlu PetForums Senior

Try putting some anti lick spray on your hands, legs. I saw some on amazon for licky dogs
    Or use that stuff you paint on your nails to stop you chewing your nails

5. Oscar12

Oscar12 PetForums Member

We tried the anti chew stuff (we smelt a bit weird for a whole) but this isn't work. We'll give the anti lick stuff a try but we iChat have to wash ourselves in it :laugh:

6. BabyBlu

BabyBlu PetForums Senior

Hmmn
    You will have to try clicker training then, Click and treat every time she stops licking you when she is having a licking session :001_wub:

7. button50

button50 PetForums VIP

I like my licky pup, everyone we meet always enjoys his kisses. :drool:

8. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

I don't mind either. My puppy does it every morning. Even though she sleeps on my bed she is so excited to see me wake up. My older dog grew out of it, so I'm hoping she won't.

9. Oscar12

Oscar12 PetForums Member

Thanks for the posts everyone :)
    We're going to start clicker training soon, we tried to have a go with Oscar when we first got him but he saw it as something to play with ! When Maisie came along she was so timid the clicker made her jump out her skin. Click treat WILL be tried this week.... Fingers crossed.
    It's not that we dont like the licking.... Oscar comes running when we shout for kisses :laugh: If we could just control it .....:rolleyes: She wil lick lick lick but then does a bitey-nip so we thought that if the licking can be controlled like what we have with Oscar, then we can eliminate the nips.
    Again... Fingers crossed!!!

10. BabyBlu

BabyBlu PetForums Senior

You guys might like licky pups but my ex had a licky adult staffie and while it was endearing at first, and harmless, it soon became irritating. She would lick and lick and lick - for hours, anytime she was near you. It definitely was a compulsive disorder so I would say that if your pup is licking A LOT you need to nip it in the bud.
    Trust me, I love affection and licks from a dog but this is a disorder.

Clicker training seems like the answer

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice