Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Overcrowding...

Discussion in 'Insects , Snails and other exotic pets' started by Claire yeats, May 1, 2017.

1. Claire yeats

Claire yeats PetForums Newbie

Please help, does anyone know where I can take my sons stick insects - pet shop, zoo etc in Surrey? I have way too many now.

We had 10 - we now have about 500!!!! I have 2 tanks of them now and my husband has said no more! They are reproducing at an alarming rate and although some have gone to our local school and a couple of friends have taken some, new babies are appearing daily! I can't throw the eggs away as it seems wrong, but equally, having so many is unfair to them.

I just want them to have a good home (I've been told to take them to a live food place for reptiles, but not keen on that idea ).

Any ideas?

Thank you. Claire

2. anachronism

anachronism PetForums VIP

You need to crush the eggs or freeze them otherwise you will be overrun.
    Put some on ebay and local free ads

3. LapisOre

LapisOre Invertebrate Enthusiast, Mantis Master

Hi.
    Maybe you could send me some? I love sticks insects but my mom might not allow me to get some from you because she will see that I am "chatting with strangers". I don't see this as a chatting place, more like a place to get advice for our pets, but my mom is hard to convince.

4. LapisOre

LapisOre Invertebrate Enthusiast, Mantis Master

Show me some pics and what species are they, how big do they get, and what do they eat? I know that most of them eat bramble but I just wanna make sure.

5. Franlow

Franlow Guest

When you clean them out, the pooh is oval, the eggs are round. Put everything in a freezer bag. You should be cleaning them out weekly. That way, you don't get over run!
    Assuming they are indian stick insects, they are all female & lay fertile eggs. How are you going to feed them all in winter? Get in control of them now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice