Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Overbred French bulldog

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Nikkit44, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Nikkit44

Nikkit44 PetForums Newbie

Hi looking for a bit of advice we have rescued an overbred French bulldog we were told she is 3 but feel she may be younger we have had her 3 months and can’t manage to get any weight in her she is a lively loving wee dog she can’t take regular Tim’s of dog meat as her wee body doesn’t agree with it diarrhoea and sickness I have been giving her boiled chicken and rice , tuna fish and rice small amounts and often I am seeing some slight improvement but really not enough the vets are only seeing emergencies at the moment and because she is lively and otherwise okay they won’t see her what do people recommend?

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

How often are you feeding her?

3. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

Also has she been wormed:)

4. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

what do you mean by overbred. A lot of dogs have food intolerances unfortunately so you need to find a good quality food that suits her. If you want to feed tins it is well worth trying chappie original but go slowly on it. if she is better on chicken or turkey and rice keep her on that till you have back to normal then slowly introduce chappie. It is not really the greatest food but for some reason a lot of dogs with dodgy tums and allergies react really well to it. Both of mine have been difficult and one is perfect on chappie but it makes the other one vomit. If Chappie suits then all well and good, if not you will have to experiment a bit. Don't rush the changes, give her a chance to adjust before slowly adding something new. The upset of a change of home might have affected her too.

I cant get my head round all these vets who are refusing to see dogs. What is their problem, it makes no sense at all.

Lilylass, Calvine and Happy Paws2 like this.
  5. Nikkit44

I’m feeding her 4 times a day little and often to give her body a chance to regulate itself and yes she’s been wormed x

niamh123 likes this.
  6. Nikkit44

She’s had too many litters that’s what I mean by overbred we were told she had only had one but it’s lies her wee body was emaciated I would say it’s looking as if she’s had maybye two or three she’s now dressed

Blitz likes this.
  7. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

True - vets were recommending it 25 years ago and it did seem to suit most dogs. Mine loved it; I remember it had a strong fish smell, but likely changed by now, tho' vets still recommend it.

8. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Bitches can look really skinny after a litter, their body has worked really hard to produce enough milk to feed and wean the pups, so just because she's skinny doesn't mean she's been over bred.
    Keep feeding as you have been, little and often. She sounds fine in terms of her activity levels, so I think she just needs to put on some post-puppy condition.
    As above try adding a bit of chappie to her food to see if you can get her eating that as well as the other food. You eventually want her on a proper complete dog food so just add a spoon per meal and then up it as long as she is tolerating it. Did the previous owner tell you what they fed her?

9. Jimmie O'Chutt

Jimmie O'Chutt PetForums Junior

Hey! What do you mean by overbred? Does she have Respiratory syndrome? Chicken, rice, and tuna is quite low protein feed. Try adding beef, set potatoes, lamb.

10. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

'Overbred' is explained above. Best to read the whole thread.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice