Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Overactive thyroid question

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by daniellecool2003, Apr 22, 2011.

1. daniellecool2003

daniellecool2003 PetForums Junior

I have been reading posts on this forum about an overactive thyroid can be caused by feeding animals tinned food. My question is am i ok feeding with sachet food, as me and my husband buy whiskers sachets for our cats.

2. Dante

Dante PetForums VIP

I think it's safe to say the author of that particular thread would blame anything they read on why their cat was ill, rather than just accepting the fact and doing something about it.

I would compare the stories about tinned food and overactive thyroidism with the stories we hear about this and that food apparently now causing cancer.. Something new every week.

If you believed them all, you'd resort to living in a cotton wool house.

3. daniellecool2003

yes i guess your right. It is a strange world out there. To think years ago food was food and you didnt worry where it came from. I get it at work all the time. Them telling me why am i eating this and that, did you not know you can get something or other from it. I still eat it though lol. I guess my cats been the closest thing to a child right now makes me more protective of them.

4. Dante

Dante PetForums VIP

Oh I agree.. And finding these forums didn't help.. I've changed food types about 3 times after reading numerous threads lol. Think I'm finally settled on my choice now :p

But getting yourself stuck on believing everything you read will just drive you slowly insane.. :crazy:

5. daniellecool2003

lol true. My husband got a book called encyclopedia of cats and kittens. For the last three years of our older cats life hes had a plastic dish for his food. When i read in the book that cats shouldnt have it both our cats got a metal dish for there food. The adjusting to that took a week. Cats refused to eat from it. After a while we managed to encourage them to eat from it and now we have no problem. But the hassel itself of changing routine can be hell after reading silly things in books and on forums.

6. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Ring-pull cans together with fire-retardants in furniture and carpets has been suggested as one the the potential causes of HyperT in cats. However there's no scientific conclusive proof as yet. I do know though, that in some countries like S Africa, the conditon is virtually unheard of in the veterinary world but has become more prevalent in others ie in recent years.

For one two of my cats have had HyperT but only very rarely had tinned cat food.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice