Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Over weight cat and the runs!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by stez1234, Apr 13, 2011.

1. stez1234

stez1234 PetForums Newbie

Hi All,

I have been lurking here for a while now and it seems you all give some great advise.

I adopted 2 cats from the RSPCA a couple of months ago. both have settled in really well. They are both female house cats.

One of them Pebbles (nick named bolder!) is rather over weight. She came like this from the RSPCA. I am struggling to get some weight off of her as she really has no interest in playing. she will play for about 10 mins then just looks at you as if to say go away!! My other cat does chase her around the house quite a bit so she does get some exercise....

I am limiting her food intake, she gets a very small amount of wet food in the morning as a token while the other cat gets fed as she is a little under weight, and the same in the evening. They have dry food down all day but that is a limited amount.

She also seems to have very soft poo's and is having trouble cleaning herself after and i have to sometimes wipe her and get the clingons off.

So my questions are:-

Can i just give her dry food and what would be the best for both of them to have?

Would you consider trimimg her bum fur so she doesn't get in a mess as much in that area??

Thanks

Amy x x x

2. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Hi there and welcome to PF!

Essentially you have two issues here the weight and the soft stools. I think if you've been reading similar posts here you'll be able to predict the advice we're going to give with the first which involves cutting out the dry and feeling her a good quality wet food instead, while increasing the amount of exercise.

However, which wet you select largely depends on how effective it is in eliminating the runny stools. At this stage this might be a result of an allergy to her current food (if she hadn't these symptoms at the rescue I would strongly suspect this ) or it may in fact be something more serious ( though treatable ) like IBD which requires a special veterinary diet to control it.

Are the stools just soft or is it full blown diarrhea? Colour? Normal stools should be firm and dark.

3. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

Ianthi is right, for weight watching cats it is best to cut out the dry as they usually contain carbs and grains which are not good for the waistline of cats. Portioned wet food would be better, with a high meat content so shes getting plenty of protein. I am sure someone more expert will come along to give you more detailed advice soon!

4. stez1234

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies so far, her stools seem to be firm to start with and its just the last bit that is soft/runny. They are quite dark.

I was thinking about trying them both on Orijen dry food as it was grain free and had a high meat content.

I work all day and cant really get back at lunch time to feed them then so i would like them to have something in the middle of the day, but i am willing to follow the advise given here as you all seem so much more knowledgeable.

Thanks

Amy xxx

5. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Hey Amy, welcome to the PF and congrats on your two rescues!

Great advice from the ladies already. I would definitely align myself with them and not feed any dry food or only a little bit of dry food in a treatball so that they need to work for their food.

I guess the problem you will fundamentally have with leaving a good dry food (if there is such a thing) out all day when you are at work is that you don't know who will eat it - Pebbles who could do with losing some or your other one. May bet would somehow be on Pebbles.

Most adult cats can deal with having 2 wet meals a day. Alternatively, you could feed them wet before you leave for work, when you come back and before you go to bed if you are worried that 2 meals will not be enough.

There are some good foods about that have a high meat content but they are mostly pate foods; not sure whether that is a consistency of food your cats would eat. What food do they currently eat?

Re the bum issue. That should really resolve itself when you find a food that agrees with them both.

6. stez1234

Hiya,

They are currently fed on Felix sensations wet food, which i have now realized is not very good and wont be buying it again. They are also on wiskers dry food which is also rubbish and wont be buying again after reading the threads about the foods.

I think Pebbles will eat anything you put in front of her as she is not fussy, although she wont go near cat nip!! Puss i think will eat most things as well.

Would the raw diet be something to explore with them?

Thanks
    Amy xxx

7. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Yes! :D Unfortunately you lurked too long and missed the chance to trial some raw minces from a new supplier.

Don't beat yourself up about the Felix and Whiskas; the only thing is that you can get better food for (almost) the same price. Have you ever tried the supermeat or whatever the Felix pate version is called?

Would you be willing to buy their food online?

8. stez1234

Hiya,

I am happy to buy their food online. I haven't tried they with the pate stuff but will get some and try it out. I like to buy their food in bulk at the moment but can easily change that.

I just want happy and healthy cats, I am about half way though reading the raw thread and taking notes..

Where is best to shop online for that kind of food?

Thanks
    Amy xxx

I will at some point post a photo of them so you can see how fat she is bless her.

9. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Oh, we like photos! :D

Zooplus - Pet Supplies, Pet Food, Dog Food, Cat Food and Pet Accessories at Zooplus - is one of the best online providers of a variety of cat foods, including some of the best food you can pick up in this country (e.g. Grau Gourmet). They also sell Animonda Carny and Bozita, which would also be good foods to have to rotate brands about so that a) cats don't get bored but b) because all foods are slightly different and contain different amounts of nutrients you are providing a more balanced nutrition by feeding a couple or so brands. As long as they are of equal quality you should have no problem just rotating them.

Other possible foods that some independent pet shop stock are Lily's Kitchen (organic and expensive but made in the UK by a small manufacturer), Ziwi Peak (again expensive) and Denes (some of their tins include grains and sugar so always read the label).

Since they haven't tried pate food yet, it might be worth your while to test them out on some Felix or Whiskas pate food - alternatively something like Nature's Menu is available from pets at home.

It would be a shame to buy the food from zooplus only for you to find that that texture is a no go! If I had any of those 3 from zooplus in the house I would send you a little trial parcel but unfortunately I don't.

For raw food

Darlings Read Dog food - the also do minces, which roughly follow the right ratios to make it a complete food

The new provider is Natural Instinct who currently only do one flavour but are hopefully expanding their range. They are in Cranleigh and have a factory shop where you can buy their minces if you live locally.

Or you can get supplements (felini complete from zooplus or TC PRemix from a shop in Germany) to make raw meat a complete food.

Does that help

10. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

Hi, I can send you a couple of carton thingys of a food called Forthglade. It's on the A-Z guide of wet food, so you can see the ingredient list there etc. It is very 'hardcore' pate style though and I found it best mixed with a little hot water to make it a bit smoother.

If you'd like it, PM me with your details :)

11. stez1234

Hiya,

That is fab! Thank you so much. I will try them on some pate food first although i dont think there will be a problem and then get them started on a better diet.

I think i will try the ones you have recommended from zooplus first and start adding in some raw food as a treat and see how we go from there.

I will go and throw their dry food in the bin now!

As for photos.... I might go a little over the top now!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. stez1234

Oh they are huge photos!!!

Sorry xxxx

13. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Oh that they are some lucky and happy kitties! Horizontal stripes just aren't flattering - not on humans or cats! So, I bet she wouldn't look quite as big if she had just spots :D

She could do with losing just a little bit of weight. Do you know their history at all?

Oh, did you see Dougal's post?

14. stez1234

It doesn't help that her fur is about 2 inches thick either!! :eek:

From what i know they were given up because the old owners child had a massive allergic reaction to the little one.

The little one is about a year old and my vet thinks the big one is about 3.

They were taken in on 15th Jan and i took them home on the 29th Jan so they were not in long at all.

I would never be without them now.

I have PM about the very kind off for the food. Thank you soooo much.

Amy xxx

15. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Oh they are cuties!
    Hobbs' A-Z guide also includes guidelines about the quantity of each food recommended daily....I can't help noticing that your kitties seem to have rather LARGE platefuls of wet food, and a bumper bowl of dry nearby too! I have 2 chunky monkeys and they get only a fraction of those portions.:p

16. stez1234

There is only a handful of dry food in the bowl which has now been taken away.
    They had a pouch (100g) of wet food each when i took the pic they had just had it put down.

I am not going to be giving them any dry food from now on, until i get them some better wet food how much should they be having a day?

Thanks
    Amy xxx

17. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

There are various feeding rec's. Mine get about 3-400g a day (kittens, bottomless pits!) Grau I think is still 200g.... (Hobbs did they change it, I know there was some moving and shaking with grau but glad to see youre still recommending it)

18. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

Hee hee, they look so content :)

Have you tried a toy called 'da bird'?? That has the potential to get your cat moving around, chasing the pretend bird in flight. In fact, it has been known to send some cats into a frenzy ;)

19. stez1234

Not seen that, will go and Google it now. I was thinking about getting them one of those track and ball toys? Pebbles scares herself when she plays in the kitchen as it is quite a loud bang when she lands!

20. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Ah, I completely forgot to update. I talked to Grau a couple of times and they are saying that they only thing that has changed is the labelling in preparation for the change in regulation in the autumn. (That doesn't quite explain why the analysis has subtly changed but they were adamant; although a couple of food nerdy people like me in Germany got the reply that the formulation had very subtly changed - so it might have changed a little but not drastically enough to worry about for the moment). They have changed to feeding rec slightly too but I (and others I have talked to about it) would take that with a pinch of salt.

Oh they also said that the labelling might change again as the meaning of the new regulation is still open to interpretation.

Amy, do you know how much your cats weigh? I believe that Felix is 3 pouches per day for an average sized cat. How many pouches did you feed them previously?

Dougal is so right - the da bird is a must as is the laser toy!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice