Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Over-reacting?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by LauraJayne, Jun 29, 2010.

1. LauraJayne

LauraJayne PetForums Member

Jack's being a fussy little thing with his food again!!!

I've now decided that he doesn't like the dry food anymore (the royal canin renal the vet told us to put him on) he LOVED it at first, then it was hit and miss but now no! he went through a stage where he would not eat it out of the bowl.. i duno, but he wouldnt eat so i was getting abit worried and put it in my hands and he ate it up, i tried like moving back and back towards his bowl each time to show him thats where it all is and it worked until we reached his bowl then he went off!!!

now im just feeding him the wet which again, loves! but these last few days hes been abit weird about it... he went another day or so with barely eating then sunday wolfed it down, and so i put more in his bowl as i was so glad he was eating and he wolfed that down too and now.. hes back to not eating! was good yesterday then today he didnt touch his breakfast which was the really yummy wet and then at tea time was really excited waiting for his tea, i gave him fresh wet and hes had the tiniest bit and then just not bothered!!

am i worrying too much? because ive just went to order more food and a website says..
    Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Canine Renal - Diet is very important part of the support of pets with chronic kidney failure. There are several general measures which you can take to help your pet:

Feed exactly as advised. Avoid feeding extra snacks
    Feed meals on a little and often basis
    Warm food to just below body temperature to tempt your pet
    Offer fresh food at each feeding
    Offer food from a small saucer or by hand

and so now im just freaking out!!! i hate when hes not eating properly, hes always had such an amazing appetite!! is it the new food? (like probably us eating salad everyday... boring!!) or is he ill with it?? i dont mind feeding him out of my hand, well the wet i imagine would be icky, the smell makes me gag! but id do it if he would eat it!! my folks and friends say i am spoiling him by sitting letting him eat the dry out of my hand!! :confused1:

2. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Hello Laura Jayne,Is he doing ok in other areas,is he taking his meds ok? is he his usual self other than with the food? how are his poos? Is he losing weight?
    If he was a dog that wasnt poorly,i would say he was being fussy and testing to see if anything more yummy was coming his way if he doesnt eat it,and also quite enjoying the attention.(hey you will spend time hand feeding ,how cool,i just love it when you fuss me! LOl)
    However,because we know he does have an underlying condition,i would probably advise that you call the vet and ask whether you should be offering him whatever he will eat,or pop in and just get them to check him over,just to make sure.
    If however,the vet says he's doing really well at the moment,it could be that you may need to try a little tough love with him,so he doesnt have you running around.I know that you love him lots and have been worried about him etc but they do like to take the mickey sometimes.

3. henry

henry PetForums VIP

Which wet food are you feeding? Is it the Royal Canin tinned for kidney problems?

4. LauraJayne

Yeah we were recommended to try the wet and the dry and were given samples, he LOVED both of the samples so we bought both sets so that he could have a mixed diet but he's not interested in the dry anymore so we've stopped giving him it x

5. LauraJayne

yeah i know what you mean, hes not loosing weight, not that I can see and as you will know im freaking out so its one thing im looking at, you can see his ribs sometimes but hes been that way for a while! hes taking his meds fine, sometimes he will eat them from your hand/ floor (i come down to the mat to join him and often put them on the mat while i sort them out and sometimes hes eaten one before ive gotten the other out of the tube) othertimes you need to put them in his mouth but he takes them fine, doesn't make a fuss! or spit them out anymore!!! ive gotten it down to a fine art!! I think his poos are fine, my dad has been taking him out and never mentioned anything, and hes totally fine in himself! its just the food thing!!!

I put only a small amount in his bowl for breakfast this morning and he seemed disinterested when he saw it was his usual, but when i went away and then came back he has eaten most of it =)

hes been like that a while tho, sometimes he will not eat if you are in the room lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice