Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Over night vet stay!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by DevilDogz, Aug 17, 2009.

1. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

How many of your dogs have been in the vets over night!? and what for!?

Our Mika has been rushed to the vets 3 times with reactions to wormers..(each time it being a different wormer)..We have now found a womer that agree's with him! :D

After worming Mika one morning with Drontal he was fine all day..At about 6'oclock he started going all funny..puffy cheeks, falling over, coudnt walk straight and was getting worse and worse..Really looked a right mess and was actually really scarey to watch.
    We rushed him straight over to the vets and was told he had an alergic reaction to the wormer..They gave him an injection to why we was there and we was told that he had to spend the night in! :(..(There is a flat attached to our vets and theres always a nurse on site ;)..)

The nurse said once she had Mika settled she would give us a ring just to let us know everything was fine!!
    At about 10 oclock she rings us to tell us as soon as we walked out the door Mika was a totally different dog..was screaming running around..when an hour before he couldnt even sit up..:blushing:
    She said if we wanted we could go and pick him up there and then because he just wouldnt settle and was causing ALL the other dogs to howl and bark!
    I hardly belived her that does not sound like our Mika one bit..Until we pulled up into the car park and heard it our selves! :blushing:

That is the only time one of ours has had to stay in the vets apart from spaying and neutering..and Kioti did have some retained puppy teeth removed but was only in for the afternoon! :D

kerry

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Oscar was in for 3 days when we first got him. He was so ill we almost lost him. Since then, never.

Even when he had his leg amputated, Oscar was home 5 hours after the op. My vet came out to my house every 6 hours for 5 days for pain relief, and i slept with him on the living room floor for 2 weeks.

I tend to only leave them in if they need fluid therapy, which needs to be monitored carefully. Thankfully, ive never had one seriously ill or injured enough, to require intensive nursing..

3. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Poor Oscar..Luckly little chap he is..and has a wonderful owner :yesnod:

If they can be home i think its much better..Cause's less stress for them..They know where they are and there not surrouned by other strang dogs and people..Plus i would worry far to much about them! :eek:
    Unless of course if they really had to stay in because on drips then i would like them to be home..

We are also quite lucky that with all the dogs we have not one has ever had something seriously wrong with them!! But poor Mika looked like he was dying bless him..Untill we left that is :D

4. happysaz133

happysaz133 PetForums VIP

We've been lucky, none of ours have ever been in overnight. Yet.

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Most vets wont have inpatients if they can avoid it. Its far better for them to be at home.

We only really kept animals over night if on fluids, or recovery from major surgery or trauma. Many animals need pain relief at regular intervals, and owners are unable to provide this.

6. ninja

ninja PetForums VIP

mine have never stayed in overnight,

although they wanted to keep my staffy in when she was spade,
    but there is nobody there from 7pm till 7am unless there is an emergancy so there was no way i was leaving her there,
    in saying that even if there was somebody there i would have brought her home anyway :),

when i had my westie he had to go in and be knocked out a few times for x-rays and a grass seed in his eye but the moment he woke they would ring me to fetch him cos had would howl the place down LOL :D

7. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

My Meg was kept overnight after an emergency spay.
    She went down hill on the Friday by the following Morning she was really poorly,we suspected Pyo so did our vet.
    She had tests done,put on an IV Drip,bloods done, Scan etc,vets wanted to keep her as it was a complicated op and she needed fluids by way of an IV.

Our worst nightmare,vets were brill though! :)

8. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

Max had to stop in over night when he had an op on his leg. I was up all night worrying and spent the next week with him downstairs.

9. HighPr00

HighPr00 Banned

None of mine have ever had to stay overnight, they've been in for the day but never overnight.

10. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

When William was hit by a car 2 years ago the vet wanted to keep him in over night. I said no you don't. They took him through to the back as he had to stay for xrays. two hours later the phone rang

when are you going to pick up ******* William.

You wanted to keep him over night

I've changed my mind come and fetch him

You could hear him screaming in the background:D:D

At the end of july last year Jude had to stay at the vets for a week. They thought she had parvo but it was coccidiosis so not quite as bad but still on a drip for a week. They have no one at the vets over night so one of the nurses took her home with her and at the weekend too when she should have gone to the emergency vets.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice