Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Over excited when training

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by simplysardonic, May 1, 2011.

1. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

I've been doing one-to-one training with Bob, which we are both really enjoying. However he gets so very excited he has trouble focusing on me, is there anything I can do to calm him down a bit, would teaching 'watch me' help & if so how do I start?
    thanks

2. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

With Roxy I use a clicker & started off by getting her to sit then held a treat up near my eye line & each time she looked at me clicked & rewarded her. The once she got the hang of it started using the word 'watch'.

We then gradually then increased the of time she had to 'watch' me for & also stopped using the treat as lure & just now use the word 'watch' which she now knows means she has to sit & focus on me. She's not perfect by any means but it is gradually sinking in & is really useful when she starts getting over excited especially around other dogs

3. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

What is drawing his attention away from you?

Can you go somewhere to train that doesn't have this distraction?

4. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

thanks, I'll give that a go with him :)

5. Rottiefan

Rottiefan PetForums VIP

Do you mean he gets excited when you begin using reinforcers like food or toys? When training, motivation is key but obviously over-excitement can be a hindrance. You can practise 'watch' exercises like Cleo's suggested teaching above but you may also like to simply standing in one place and waiting until he gives you eye contact, then praising heavily. You can do this off-hand, whenever he looks at you, not necessarily during training.

Building attention exercises like these from Dr Ian Dunbar:
    DogStar Videos & TV | Dog Star Daily

Turning your back and waiting for attention, and rewarding when you get it, will train your dog to keep their eyes glued on you. You can then start using a 'WATCH' command when you know the dog is going to walk around and look at you for food. The you can phase out the food and reward 'WATCH' with bigger rewards like sniffing in the park.

6. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

It's mostly the treat he's focusing on, so it should be easy to teach him to look at me using this, he just seems to go to pieces with excitement.

7. tripod

tripod PetForums VIP

Use less exciting food rewards. Instead of 'treats' handfeed him every piece of kibble for training exercises over the day rather than in alotted sessions.

Switch to real life rewards as soon as possible. Practice lots of self calming behaviours and slowly shape calmer responses.

Here is a link to a month long of daily training plans which start with focus exercises and settle exercises: TYD Month | Pet Central's Pawsitive Dawgs Blog!

Also self control exercises: Essential Exercises for Cerraazzzy Canines: Good Things Come to Calm Canines | Pet Central's Pawsitive Dawgs Blog!

Rottiefan likes this.
  8. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

thankyou Tripod :)

9. RobD-BCactive

RobD-BCactive PetForums VIP

That's how I handled the same issue with my BC pup, a mix of dry training treats & puppy kibble, were quite motivating enough, until he got to adolescent. I just used a different flavour, so the smell was not the same as his normal kibble.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice