Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Over excited Pup

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Opheliac, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Opheliac

Opheliac PetForums Member

When Motley gets excited by a certain noise, or if someone tries to put their face by his, he sort of lunges at them with his mouth open. I know he isn't doing it to be aggressive and that it's more of an excited thing, but I was just wondering how I could get him to stop as I obviously don't want him doing it to a stranger lol.

Thanks in advance :)

2. KarenHSmith

KarenHSmith PetForums VIP

Try to ask the people who come into your house, to NOT make a fuss of your dog, whilst he is getting over excited. When he has calmed down, ask them to fuss him or make some type of contact to him. Fussing an over excited dog, seems to encourage them..

3. Changes

Changes PetForums VIP

Hi Kaleigh

I have taught Tyler to Wait! By gently holding him beofre any activity then saying ok to release him, it has taken a little while but now when He gets really excited to see people I ask him to wait and distract him with a toy or a treat then he calms down and greets people with a clamer more manners attitude lol

Many smiles to you hun x x

4. Opheliac

We have been doing that, but sometimes he can be sitting next to someone and will just do it out of nowhere, it can be if someone is just humming or making a noise he hasn't heard before. I know the simple solution would be to not hum etc. but it is obviously something he needs to get used to and alot of the time is done without thinking!

I am teaching him to be calm when new people arrive, this tends to happen with the people he is familar with (he especially likes my sister's nose lol!) and who have been in the house for quite awhile!

#4 Opheliac, Aug 4, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  5. Changes

Changes PetForums VIP

there is a brilliant video on you tube of a wonderful trainer teaching her dogs to leave it, I have applied this technique to lots of unwanted behaviours :) especially in my kids lol

YouTube - How to teach 'leave it'- without intimidation

watch how she gets her dogs to leave it in a really positive way - I would say that this might just work :) have a a look through her other vids incase one of the others is more useful - I don't use a clicker instead I just my voice :) x

6. Opheliac

Thanks Mel :)

Looks really good, I'll try giving it a go this week. Motley does seem to learn REALLY fast so fingers crossed :D xx

#6 Opheliac, Aug 4, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  7. Changes

Changes PetForums VIP

Those videos have really taught me a lot about positive training and I have even been using them with Drym so he doesn't bark at the post man lol

Tyler is so bright like Motley, I was teaching him walk to heel today and he was getting really good at it, I do about 20 minutes of playful training every day and he seems to be lapping it up x

:D x I am always here for you Kayleigh if you need any help at all just ask hun x x x x

8. Opheliac

Thanks so much Mel, I will do xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice