Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Over excited barking and bonkers

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Christina Tupper, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Christina Tupper

Christina Tupper PetForums Newbie

Hi All, I am new to this forum but have read some posts and see that everyone is friendly and helpful.

We have 4 dogs. One old collie who is arthritic and likes to be away from others at night. Another Dalmatian x who is 10 years old and another younger collie and Jack Russel.

The two older dogs are kept in one half of the house at night and the two younger in the other half. The younger ones are the issue. They hear a movement upstairs or outside and kick off barking and yapping. If we don’t get up and let them out the one dog will pee in the kitchen. When we do let them out they make such a din when opening the door and then chase each other around the garden barking. It is not neighbour friendly, especially at 3am or even 7am. I have started distraction techniques with titbits and toys which can be hit and miss but it is the excitable barking at all hours that are sending me loopy. I need some sleep.

We have tried letting these in with the others and separating the two but we end up with cold noses in our faces at stupid o’clock instead.

Any ideas will be gratefully received.

Thanks

Tina

2. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

I feel your pain, I've had similar issues with my dogs, although luckily the only time they'd bark in the night is if one them needs a poo.....which isn't often thankfully! but they do the over excited barking when I get up, which depending on the time isn't always socially acceptable so it's something I'm careful with.

What time do you actually get up in the morning? or want to get up? and what time are the dogs put away for the night?

3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Take them out on leads so they can’t go mad. You are more likely to be in control and stand a better chance of keeping them quiet. Keep them apart so they can’t play.

Keep the outing as boring and brief as possible - literally just far enough outside the door for toileting and nothing else.

Maybe try putting a music radio station on low in their room to mask outside noises?

Twiggy likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice