Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Over excitability when visitors come round???!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Buzzard, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Buzzard

Buzzard PetForums VIP

We have a 6 1/2 month old lab x springer who is so so so overly excitable when people come to the house. I'm after tips on how to deal with this. I love dogs but some of my friends and their kids are wary and him jumping up and mouthing puts them on edge a bit. We have always turned our backs and ignored him when he jumps up at us, and he is much better on that with us and the kids now.

2. GermanShepardOwner

GermanShepardOwner PetForums Senior

You have 2 very high energy breeds in one dog! And he is very young still so it is expected.

What food is he on? what exercise and mental stimulation does he get? This all contributes to a dogs overall behaviour.

You are doing the right thing with the jumping, when people enter the house i would put him in a seperate room untill everyone is settled and then put him on a indoor training line and let in. This way you can make sure he does not jump and pull him off people if he does. But he is very young and pups this age will display this behaviour, make sure you are consistent and everyone else is listening to you and doing the same.

Make sure he has enough mental stimulation and the correct exercise. Scatter feeding is a very good mental stimulator and it is exercise aswell.

You can also clicker train aswell, when someone comes in and calm you can train him to be calm and sit. Also teaching a settle command is a very good idea for when people come round.

3. Buzzard

Buzzard PetForums VIP

He gets lots of training and mental stimulation and when we are home he is fine, it's just when visitors come. I agree I think it is to be expected and we are hoping he will calm down as he grows up. I guess all puppies can be like this, but it is more 'obvious' with a bigger dog than a small one. He is on CSJ puppy food. He gets two walks a day, one on lead and one off lead in the fields out the back of the house. We will try the house line idea that sounds like a good idea. Thank you :)

4. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Puppies jump, it is a force of nature, so we just have to find a way to make 4 feet on the floor more rewarding than two feet.

Have a look at these links by reputable trainers and behaviourists, especially the You Tube footage.

http://www.cleverdogcompany.com/tl_files/factsheets/Jumping up.pdf
    Preventing Jumping on Strangers | Karen Pryor Clicker Training
    ClickerSolutions Training Treasures -- Quick Fix for a Jumping Dog

Four Feet on the Floor: Jumping Up Behaviour in Dogs and Puppies - YouTube

Does your dog jump all over people when he meets them? Are your friends reluctant to visit? Do you wish that your dog would be calm and polite when people arrive?
    Just imagine that you can take your dog to the pub, or to visit in someone else’s home and he will settle down quietly while you chat with friends. With Sarah’s methods, your dog can become a model citizen with this easy-to-follow training session.
    Including:
    • Why dogs jump up at some people and not at others
    • Strategies to enlist your family and friends to help with your dog’s training
    • One easy rule to prevent jumping up
    • How to teach your dog to settle calmly no matter what else is going on
    Teaching your dog to be calm and sensible when visitors arrive is on the wish list of many dog owners, and it’s simple to achieve with Sarah’s advice and practical strategies.
    The pack contains: A clicker, tab handle, training manual, instructional DVD: 55 mins approx running time including Bonus trick, Bonus Training Session, Intro to Clicker Training, Q & A with Sarah.

Dogtrain.co.uk

5. Luz

Luz PetForums VIP

We had a Staffy that used to be like that. In the end we found giving her a favourite toy (in her case it was a shoe- other story) meant she just wandered around showing everyone it rather than jumping up.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice