Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

over affectionate

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Evurr, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Evurr

Evurr PetForums Member

Hiya

we have two 4 month old boys. Taf is really chilled out. Like his cuddles but is happy just to curl up and be stroked.

Bryn is another matter.

He's fairly full on in whatever he is doing, but his being over affectionate is getting to me.

He insists on suckling, the bow on the front of mu nightie, the strap of my nighty, my arm, my ear lobes.... it all started with my eye lids.... all the time pawing and clawing me!!

Will he grow out of this or do i need to teach him not to do it.

We've only just started letting them in the bedroom at night, mainly because it's been too hot to shut the door.. but he wants to do this at 3 in the morning!!!!

Please tell me it's just a phase :(

2. mypets

mypets PetForums Senior

If it is a problem which it obviously is then you will need to keep saying no and putting him back down on the floor...

Its ok to tell him off..he does have to learn..
    when i have kittens running around and they climb up to you when we are having tea, i pick them up, and put my finger on their nose and say no..then put them back down, takes about 3 attempts but they do get the message afer a while...
    :001_tt2:

3. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Probably NOT a phase - you need to teach him it's not acceptable - I do what mypets does - it will work eventually, you also may want to keep him out of your bedroom cos being nice at 4am is hard work. Could yo keep them in the kitchen overnight?

4. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

It is just a phase. He is mimicking suckling from his Mum, its a comfort thing. He obviously a little more insecure and needs more reassurance than his brother. I would try and build up his confidence. Removing him completely and just shutting him out is not going to achieve that and probably make him more anxious. I would just gently stop him doing it, move him around so he is not able to suckle, but he is still close to you. Lots of strokes and cuddles and I am sure he will stop it.

5. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

My elvis suckled as he was only 5 weeks when I got him :( His 12years now! :)

he loved my earlobes! But I loved him doing it so I let him, he did it for about 6 months??

I dont let kits into my room until about 10 months...they wake me up too much and I want to sleep! :eek:hmy:

6. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

One of my little monsters is being bullied by one of the pregnant girls at the moment and has started staying out for 36 hours at a time as a result. So when he turned up last night I took him to bed with me. Wish I'd clipped his claws first, he kept digging them into me all night, purring his head off, wanting to lay right in front of my face, obviously very pleased with himself that he had managed to get me to let him in the bedroom. Then this morning my husband let one of the other little darlings into the bedroom, and that one decided it would be nice to give me love bites. In the end I had to get up. Why do we do it?!

Liz

7. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

I remember one of my cats seemed fascinated with my hair, I didn't mind it (pre-children) so he used to lie in my hair and suckle away and pad away all night! I used to wake up looking even more like Worzel Gomage then I do already. ;)

Misty did this too but only with my neck chain. She hasn't for a while now but she has been occupied by her kittens so that may well explain it.

I would attempt to put a stop to it now if you don't want to continue. I keep my cats downstairs now, which may sound cruel but they (cat and kittens) have food, toys, scratchers and a nice warm bed and free run of the kitchen. With my moggy it's a little different as she is not good with other cats so she sometimes gets to sleep in the living room and on the vary rare occasion under my bed, only when/if she sneaks in and hides. She doesn't wake me up though, she is good girl. A bit psycho but a good girl.

Best of luck! :)

I value my sleep too much these days.

8. Evurr

Evurr PetForums Member

thank you all for your replies, although I'm still a little confused.

Most have said if I don't want him to do it I should stop him... which is cool.

Saikou - you say he needs more fuss... I don't know. He seems quite confident and I will cuddle him throughout the evening... but, his brother seems to have taken top slot so maybe he's feeling a little insecure about that.

He tends to wait until Taf has finished eating and drinking before he starts, even though they do have separate bowls... well that's their biscuit bowls in the conservatory. Their wet bowls in the kitchen they tuck in at the same time (still got their own bowls tho)... and Taf doesn't share his toys well either.

I don't know. I'll try to stop him and give him tummy and ear rubs instead, see if I can get him out of it.

I'm also fighting the "climbing the net curtains" and the "getting onto the kitchen surfaces" and it seems the "getting them wet" has stopped working so at the moment I feel like they are pushing my limits in all directions. I WILL win on these!!!!

9. Bellini

Bellini PetForums Member

My Millie is 12 weeks now and is also overly affectionate. She will nibble, lick and bite everything that she comes in contact with (hair, ribbons, apron strings, toes, fingers, necklaces etc). The only thing is now her nibbles are pretty hard so I'm having to do the "no" and ignoring her or putting her on the floor. It does work cos she's been a pest keeping me up at 4am but after a few terrible nights of me ignoring her as much as possible she knows now to wait until 6/6.30am when I naturally wake up. Also I find that if she wants attention at 4am then it's not always playtime, sometimes she just wants a comforting arm around her and she snuggles in to sleep (normally in my armpit!).

It all depends on how you want to "train" your kitten really. Initially I was very anti kitten in the bedroom but now she sleeps on our bed for part of the night and it feels totally right for her to be there.

10. Evurr

Evurr PetForums Member

This is it. Charlie used to sleep on the bed and i missed him when he wasn't there, but he was much older when we got him. Not had kittens of my own before and when my parents had them I don't remember them being any trouble at all.

Bryn has eased off. I move him away, tell him jhe's a grown hp kitty now and has grown up fuss and give him lots of ear rubs, tummy rubs and chin rubs. That way he's getting fuss but not being allowed to suckle.

Thing is, Taf's started it now!!!!!!!

Have started putting them out of the bedroom again at night as I simply cannot get enough sleep with them around. There's time when they are older to allow them into the bedroom.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice