Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Outside or Inside

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Mikala Rouse, Dec 13, 2020.

?

Inside or Outside

Poll closed Dec 20, 2020.
  1. Inside

9 vote(s)
    90.0%
  2. Outside

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. Mikala Rouse

Mikala Rouse PetForums Newbie

My kitten Maisie is 6 months old and has just been neutered. She has been miaowing all day at the door and climbing up the curtains. She desperately wants to go outside but I’m unsure whether to let her out or not as she’s still so young. Her constant miaowing is driving me crazy. Please help. Thanks

2. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

No, she's far too young to be going out yet ! When I've had kittens they've been at least 12 months old before I let them out to explore - kittens just have no sense of danger and can get themselves into all sorts of trouble.

Ideally you need to be able to cat proof your garden or provide a catio/cat run - there are lots of ideas here

https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/cat-runs-cat-proofed-gardens.211361/

To take her mind off of "outdoors" you'll need to provide lots of indoor stimulation - extended playtimes at least 3 or 4 times a day; maybe some interactive toys she can play with by herself when you're busy ?

teddylion, chillminx and cava14 una like this.
  3. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Regardless of whether you eventually decide to allow her to have outdoor access she is far too young at 6 months . She has neither the mental nor physical capabilities of staying out of danger , please don't allow her out until spring next year ,if you have to.
    Personally I would never allow a cat to free roam , it is just too fraught with danger out there.
    Have you considered cat proofing your garden that way she will be able to nave some outdoor fun but stay safe.
    Have a look at this link put together by forum members.........https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/cat-runs-cat-proofed-gardens.211361/
    Just because she is climbing the curtains and looking like she wants to go outside she is actually only saying I want to see what that is just as she would if she wanted to see what was on the other side of a closed door in the house .

Ali71, Lurcherlad and lorilu like this.
  4. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I don't see how a 6 month old kitten who has never been out could "desperately want to go outside". She has no idea what outside is. Curtain climbing is normal in kittens. It sounds to me like your kitten simply needs more interactive play time with you. Play with her several times a day in a routine, half an hour at a time. Same times every day. Provide her with places she can safely climb to be high up, places to jump and leap and scratch, give her a tunnel or box fort for hiding away, and play play play with her.

If you do want her to have outside time cat proof your garden or put in a cat run of some sort to keep her safely contained to your property.

Lots of good ideas here. :)

https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/cat-runs-cat-proofed-gardens.211361/page-76

buffie and teddylion like this.
  5. Arny

Arny PetForums VIP

Is she spayed?
    Sorry just seen you've said she's been neutered recently.

6. Emmasian

Emmasian Mother of Pumpkins

Catproof garden. Best of both worlds and far less worrying. If she must free roam then at least wait a year

Whompingwillow likes this.
  7. Mistys Mum

Mistys Mum PetForums Member

Have you considered getting a friend around the same age for her to play with?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice