Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

outside cat crying

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by guavabear, Oct 28, 2012.

1. guavabear

guavabear PetForums Newbie

We have gotten an outdoor cat for our country home. This particular cat was rehomed because she was spraying in her old family's flat, and always crying to go outside among other reasons.

For the first week or so she seemed to love the outdoors. There were even times she wouldn't come when called because she was off exploring. She was truly doing quite well.

Over the last week she has now taken to crying all the time to be let in. She cries at the door or finds windows to perch outside of and simply balks nonstop. Will this stop on its own, or is there something we can do about it, or is she simply not cut out for outdoor living? We cannot have an inside cat, especially one that sprays.

Her needs are otherwise all met... Any advice?

2. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

If she lived in a flat, then she probably just wanted to explore the outdoors, not be shut out all the time!! It's winter!!! :eek:

Most cats are curious about the outdoors, that doesn't mean they can be expected to live out there in all weathers!! :rolleyes::

I suggest you rehome her with someone who will let her inside, at least some of the time...

3. we love bsh's

we love bsh's PetForums VIP

As above rehome this cat to someone willing to give it tlc..im shocked you think this cat will be ok out in the cold winter to come how very sad.Shes cold thats why shes crying.:mad:

4. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Outdoor cats(feral) are born that way,you cant just turn an otherwise domesticated cat into an "outdoor cat".
    You say all her other "needs" are met,what needs might these be.
    She needs comfort,warmth,a dry, draught free bed,companionship,food,water,the list is long and to be honest with you I dont think you are giving her what she needs.
    If you cant allow her to come in and be part of your family then I think you have to find someone willing to give her what she needs.
    Has she been neutered and had a vet check to see if there is a medical reason for her spraying in the house.

5. guavabear

Thanks for the feedback everyone:

Regarding the weather here it's been warm so far. It has not been colder this week than last week and fall is still in full swing here. Furthermore she has access to the full finished basement and the garage, both of which are very warm.

The last owners claimed she was a sprayer when they found her (originally a barn cat), and that spaying did not eliminate the behavior. She also came with a book of vet records that indicate other causes have been ruled out.

Granted although she was supposedly an outdoor cat at some point, it is our understanding that she was inside for a couple years and never adjusted.

6. Ang2

Ang2 PetForums VIP

There may have been reasons she sprayed in the flat ie stress. It doesnt mean she will spray in your home. Please let this poor little girl in, its so cold. You cant take a cat from the comfort of a home and then chuck it out into the elements.

Another depressing read.

#6 Ang2, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  7. Treaclesmum

She is probably also lonely, craving human company and affection :(

8. guavabear

I don't appreciate your condescending attitude when we're asking for advice.
    It's New Mexico. Not the great white north. She'll even have the basement and the garage when it drops to a deadly 65°F tonight. We have common sense.

Not to mention this animal gets daily attention, playtime, etc. We've made a great effort to ease her into our home. Our question was should we expect her to adjust or not.

Seriously? You think any of that is news? If I were borderline retarded would I really have the sense to ask for advice in the first place?

It's a shame I have to explain myself just so you know I done the BASIC THINGS in caring for an animal. How about you don't assume we're idiots?

9. Ang2

Ang2 PetForums VIP

Caring for a cat does not constitute ignoring her sat at the window crying to come in! You've made great effort to ease her into your home????

10. Ang2

Ang2 PetForums VIP

And dont accuse me of poor reading/comprehension. Your poor cat is sat crying to come in FFS. Let her in, or find it a more compasionate home for her!

What advice did you want? "Turn up the TV so you cant hear her"?

11. guavabear

Actually, yes. Most experts and behaviorists recommend you ignore cats that are excessively vocal so that they don't learn that their bad behavior has positive results.

If you come to a cat who is crying, yell at them, comfort them, react in any way, you are making the issue worse because it reinforces the behavior.

I'm surprised you don't know that. But aren't you the expert??

If you don't have anything insightful to add, don't waste space with your assumptious idealist nonsense please.

I'm looking for actual advice like "the cat will be fine after a period of adjustment, but make sure to do x, y, and z" or "she probably has been indoors too long and cannot adjust".

not "the poooorrr kitty! it's SO COLD OUT WHERE I AM SO NO CAT CAN POSSIBLY LEARN TO LIVE OUTSIDE ANYWHERE!"

With all due respect, I doubt you have anything valid to add. You clearly have no qualifications to be giving advice other than "I really like cats". But yeah feel free to continue attacking me.

Clearly that's what's warranted since I've had the nerve to post a question that somehow offends you.

12. Ang2

Ang2 PetForums VIP

Having been involved in animal rescue for the last 7 years, have 8 cats of my own (all rescues) and had cats since I was a child, I think I clearly understand them and their needs a little more than you!

Cats are domestic animals - not 'ratters'. Not even sure why you got a cat in the first place, as its clearly not intended to be a family pet. Your cat is crying to come into the house. How anyone can listen to a cat crying desperately to come in, and just ignore it is beyond me!

What you are doing is heartless and cruel!

13. Treaclesmum

It's not really surprising that we should think it's cold since this is a UK forum and here in the UK it IS cold, especially for October! I love how some people on the Internet assume that everyone is in the USA!! If you had common sense in the first place, you could've at least explained where you live...

So to answer your question - NO, this cat will NOT adjust and needs to be rehomed where she CAN come indoors!!! :mad:

14. The Minkey

The Minkey PetForums Member

She was an outdoor cat at first, then she lived in a flat for a while as an indoor cat which makes it sound like she had no access at all to outside during that time. She might be a natural born sprayer, on the other hand, perhaps the confinement of life in a flat was a huge stressor which caused her to spray indoors? Has she sprayed in the garage/basement since you've had her?

Given she does have access to some nice warm places, it sounds to me like your girl has bonded with you and wants to be part of the family like she was as an indoor cat. I'd imagine she's delighted to be able to be outside again, so good on you for providing her with her freedom, but she's probably pretty confused as she's had a lot of big life-changes to deal with.

If I were in your shoes - bearing in mind I'm a bit of a pushover where it comes to my cats - providing my basement didn't smell of spray, I'd let her into one room of my house to see whether she's going to spray indoors or not. It would be a room that isn't carpeted such as the kitchen. If she doesn't, all well and good. If she does then your warm basement is preferable to going into an animal shelter where she may be euthanised as she may be difficult to rehome.

Well done for taking her in, a lot of people would have been put off knowing about her spraying issues.

15. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Just why do you want this cat :confused:,What possible reason would you have to keep her outside without companionship when she clearly is unhappy,it doesnt take an"expert" to see that.
    You want advice then no she wont ever be a happy/settled cat living the life you have provided(very loose term)
    Find her a home where she will be given a happy life,not a miserable existence.
    Just incase it has escaped your notice this is a "PET FORUM" where members care about the mental and physical welfare of their animals so yes we are "unhappy" when someone seems to be failing to see that they are causing unnecessary distress.

Ang2 likes this.
  16. oliviarussian

oliviarussian Meeoow!

I read all the time about cats being aloof and independent but in my experience this just isn't true, they want company and love and to be part of the family and by not giving her free indoor access when she wants it, I think you are denying her the comfort and reassurance that she so obviously is 'crying' out for!

I appreciate you are taking care of all her other requirements but it sounds like its just not enough for this little one, so no I don't think she will adjust.... Can you reconsider? Try letting her in and wait and see if she sprays.... She might surprise you

17. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

If you can't have an indoor cat then rehoming her would be best as she clearly wants to come in and you say you are unwilling to let her in, spraying or not.

She may well not spray indoors, or she might, but since you say you 'cannot have an inside cat' that's immaterial.

There is no 'one-size-fits-all' advice that can be given as cats are as different from each other as people. Be very careful of advice from animal behaviourists - most of them deal with dogs, and treating a cat like a dog is pretty much doomed to failure.

18. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Guavabear -- The Minkey makes some good points.:)

I think it is great you have offered this cat a home where she can have the freedom she craved to go outdoors:thumbup1: But as you have noticed she does not want to be outdoors all the time.

It is good you have provided access to a warm basement and garage for her to go in bad weather, but the cat is making it clear that, as well as outdoor access, she wants to come indoors too, where she will have some human companionship. This is entirely understandable as most cats (other than feral cats) are sociable creatures who like being with humans.

As the cat is telling you clearly she is lonely I don't see her changing her mind. What is likely to happen if you continue to ignore her cries is she will become very miserable, feel unwanted, and may wander off to try and find herself another home (especially if there are other houses in the vicinity). I have known this happen with cats who are shut out of the home for long periods.

Personally I believe the only way it will work to have kitty just use your basement as her home is if you do what friends of mine did when they adopted 3 senior cats with spraying problems.

My friends refurbished their basement making it a comfortable den for themselves and a play-room for the cats. There was heating, couches, rugs, cat trees, a refrigerator, and a TV. From then on my friends spent all their evenings in the basements with the cats, unless they had guests, which was the only times the cats were left without human companionship in the evenings. This excellent routine worked very well for everyone and the cats were happy. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice