Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Outdoor toilet.

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by JandD2020, Aug 1, 2020 at 3:28 PM.

1. JandD2020

JandD2020 PetForums Junior

Hi all

Wondering on best type of soil, litter or even compost to use for an outdoor toilet area for my cat - that won't be ruined by inclement weather and can dry out. Assume normal cat litter wouldn't be a good choice?

Although my neighbours really like him and he's been excellent local rodent control ! my big bother would be if he used their gardens. Somedays I do keep him in so I know he's been in his tray, but he's so stubborn he'll keep it till later in the evening, or even the next day which can't be healthy. From what I know about cats they love routine so probably not helping.

Of course there are days when I don't let him out for other reasons such as incoming bad weather or I'm about to go out (before anyone suggests cat flap it's a rented home, and I'm working on the landlord!)

My problem is the size of the current garden. Also the soil seems to be fairly mature and dry and he does like to cover his goods.

Below is the garden where we moved from...he only pooped here, assume where felt safest.Often saw where he was pooping so could go locate and clear it easily.

Screenshot_20200801-150616.png

This is the garden below where we've moved to now....as you can see it's impossible to keep track of!

IMG_20200801_144143.jpg IMG_20200801_144357.jpg

It's not only the type of litter but trying to figure out the right place also. Thinking about on of the two places below, they are in the part of the garden closer to the house so I could see him using it from the house. Hopefully they provide the cover and appeal for him to use it.
    InkedIMG_20200801_144218_LI.jpg InkedIMG_20200801_144234_LI.jpg

Many thanks for your help

#1 JandD2020, Aug 1, 2020 at 3:28 PM
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2020 at 3:43 PM
  2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@JandD2020 - the main thing with an outdoor cat latrine is that it needs to be well prepared for the purpose (as well as being located in a quiet spot of the garden).

If your soil is clay-like it's best to add a couple of large bags of bark chip compost (which incidentally cats love using for their toilet).Choose an area around 3 ft square and dig the soil over thoroughly, removing all vegetation so you have bare earth and the soil is loose and easy for the cat to dig in.

The latrine will need to be kept dug over every few days, with all poos removed and binned. If you don't keep the soil turned over and remove the poos, the cat will stop using it after a few months and go elsewhere. (note - cat poo takes about 6 months to break down in the soil. )

When the latrine is ready for use, I would put a scoop of the used indoor cat litter in it so it has your cat's scent.

Generally speaking cats prefer to toilet at the edge of their core territory, or outside it (hence the appeal of neighbours' gardens). Therefore I advise locating the latrine on the edge of your boundary, as far from your house as possible. If you make the latrine as attractive as you can there is a fair chance your cat will use it.

#2 chillminx, Aug 1, 2020 at 6:27 PM
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2020 at 12:13 PM
    JandD2020 likes this.
  3. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

Not that this applies to you but I saw a cat owner on social media asking about how to train a cat to start toileting outside as she was fed up with scooping twice a day and sweeping up tracked litter.

I know litter trays aren't the most pleasant job, but I can think of few more unpleasant daily and weekly tasks, in all weathers, searching and digging around outside for cat poo to dispose of; regularly replacing the soil (which will very soon begin to smell bad), weeding over the areas, etc.

It makes litter tray management seem OK by comparison lol!

An actual outside litter tray I can see working, done correctly, and so long as you don't have other cats visit your garden.

JandD2020 and chillminx like this.
  4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I completely agree @gskinner123 - I would much rather clear indoor litter trays than have to manage an outdoor latrine.

There are some cats (e.g. adult cats rescued as strays) who are very reluctant to use indoor litter trays, so having a latrine in the garden can be useful in those circumstances, but it's not something I would seek to have out of choice. It is no fun, as you say, digging through the soil hunting for poos, in the middle of freezing cold weather. Luckily my OH is prepared to carry out the task, bless him! LOL :)

gskinner123 and JandD2020 like this.
  5. JandD2020

Thank you, that's given me a plan to work towards. A trip to the garden center is due then! I wasn't aware they prefer to toilet on their boundaries, although makes sense now as we when we were in the previous home with smaller garden , he used to poop towards the far end of the garden. Suppose I'll have to scrap the two places I had in mind, but there is quite a plenty of good spots further down with shrubs and overhang. I don't mind clearing it up every day or two anyway, I'd rather do that than have him top-toeing over his stools.

6. JandD2020

That winds me up when people can't get over the fact their pets need actually to go toilet and it needs to be cleaned. If don't know how some of them, if they are parents managed children. If I had to change a litter tray or a nappy, I'd pick the litter tray 365 days a year!

gskinner123, Joy84 and chillminx like this.
  7. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

The funny thing was, after a short discussion, it turned out that she expected and wanted her cats to toilet in neighbours' gardens, not her own.

The perfect solution :)

chillminx likes this.
  8. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

What a wonderful neighbour she would be........not!! :Yuck

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice