Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Outdoor/indoor...

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Maiisiku, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Maiisiku

Maiisiku Banned

Well after Bailey showing so much interest in outside the past 2 months and trying to get out the door I decided to pop her collar on and let her have a try. She went out sniffed around rolled on the floor and stayed near me. I then picked her up and brought her back in.

My main concern is the area I live in. We do live 5 min walk from the off flow to get onto the M4 so it's a dangerous area. Also there are other cats I know I have heard them fighting at night. Also because Bailey is a rare moggy I'm really worried someone might pinch her as a lot of cats do get stolen in my area.

Do you think it would be cruel of me to give her limited garden access via a harness? I could attach the harness to something and let her have a few hours in the garden. I'd love to cat proof my garden but we are rented and it's too expensive to spend on a rented house.

Also my nerves won't hold up I'll probably be crying and stressing out if she wasn't in at night. I don't want to compleatly deprive her because she obviously wants to try it and didn't until now.

#1 Maiisiku, Jun 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  2. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

I dont think it would unfair. I used to do this with Decker (Horris and Soda cant be trusted) but our backyard is not completly inclosed and we have had near run ins with dogs so I have stopped the outings. Decker and the others do get to go out on the back deck for a bit of fresh air.

Decker loved it, smelling grass and trees.

3. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Based on where you live and the other cats about I would keep her in.

Yes you can pop her on a harness, I do this with Cotton (or rather did). You can also build an enclosure (which can be taken down as I know you rent) or when you move and you still want to keep her in but allow her in the garden you can cat proof your garden :)

My mum has a mixture of indoor/outdoor cats but after our whiskey was mauled by foxes the outdoor cats are in by 2pm (they come back and forth for food etc).

4. Janee

Janee PetForums VIP

You have risk assessed and you feel that the dangers outweigh her being an outdoor cat without restrictions - which is absolutely fine.

You can therefore think of alternatives that give your cat a chance to experience the outside safely.

Have you thought of a run? if you or a friend are good at diy then these can be quite inexpensive. If you rent then probably you may need permission, but it can be a temporary construction which you could take down on leaving with no damage.

5. Maiisiku

Maiisiku Banned

If we wern't moving next year I would ask the landlord if I could mesh the lean-to but I don't think he'd be happy about it. I think it will have to be supervised on a harness if we are going to let her out. There is a cat over the fence which comes into our garden and another cat around that fights him. Most of our garden is taken up by a lean to conservatory so there is no room for a run.

I get paid tomorrow so I'm going to order a harness and then we can take her out whenever we go out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice