Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Outdoor and indoor cats

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Lissi_alicia, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Lissi_alicia

Lissi_alicia PetForums Newbie

Hi,
    So we have a tortie cat who has access to the garden with her catflap. At night we keep her downstairs because she has the lovely habit of bringing mice onto our bed to play with.
    We're about to get a sphynx kitten, we know she's got to be an indoor cat.
    Do indoor cats try to get outside? Will she attempt the cat flap? At night I think she will have to be kept upstairs so she doesn't go through the cat flap. But then I don't want to restrict either cat to a certain part of the house.
    Would a sureflap microchip catflap prevent this all, if I don't program in the sphynx cats chip?
    How does it work in the summer with having doors and windows open when it's hot?

2. Burmesemum

Burmesemum PetForums Senior

Hi there. Depends on the temperament of the cat. We've had mostly indoor cats.

I had two Burmese cats who were indoors from kittens but I could never trust them not to try and escape. We couldn't have any windows open unless they were locked away in another room or they would try and escape.

We now have two rescue moggies who are also indoor only from kittens. They are both very cautious and nervous cats (one more so than the other) and they have never tried to escape. The more nervous of the two has absolutely no interest in stepping outside and the other is pretty similar and I can leave the windows open BUT I always keep a very close eye on them just in case and would never leave them unsupervised.

I'd be very nervous about a Sphynx getting out of an opened window or the cat flap that you have in use for your other cat. I'm sure someone else will be able to advise you more on that.

3. SuboJvR

SuboJvR Joey’s Mummy

When it’s hotter outside than inside, opening doors and windows only serves to make your house warmer ;)

So for the worst of this summer, we had the house closed during the day. After the sun went down we would close bedroom doors and open the windows wide to let the rooms cool a bit, with Joey downstairs with us. Otherwise we just have the windows on the child lock latch thingy to get a little airflow.

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi @Lissi_alicia and welcome :)

Two of my cats are restricted to the garden and are brought indoors at dusk, and I have a number of Sureflap microchipped cat flaps on my property to ensure that they can't get out of the garden, but my other cats can.

This includes a cat flap on the entrance to the back porch. It is fitted back-to-front so only the 3 scanned cats can get through it. The non-scanned cats used to try and get through it but gave up trying long ago. I think you would find the same with your Sphynx unless she is determined to be an escape artist. But as long as she is spayed before she reaches sexual maturity I see no reason why she would want to keep trying to escape.

On my windows I have Flat Cat protective meshes, so all my windows can safely be opened in the warm weather.

http://www.flat-cats.co.uk/

Burmesemum likes this.
  5. Burmesemum

Burmesemum PetForums Senior

What a brilliant idea! Never heard of Flat Cat meshes.

chillminx likes this.
  6. lubyloo

lubyloo PetForums Junior

My rescue cat is an indoor cat and I can vouch for how good Flat Cats are. We have just purchased one for our back door and it has been a huge success!

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice