Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Outcrossing. A controversial thread.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Acacia86, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Please be nice on this thread.

I would like to know other peoples opinions on outcrossing to better breeds.

I personally think some of the breeds of today are in dire need.

I DO agree with outcrossing to a certain extent. If done by proper professionals in a very professional way. It would never need to 'interfere' that much with the breed as a whole.

Anything to better a breed, and help these dogs health. Dogs in my opinion should be able to 'perform' the job that they were bred for. Even companion dogs were never unhealthy.

Whats your opinion?

ninja likes this.
  2. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

"If done by proper professionals in a very professional way"
    What do you class as professionals and professional ways though.!?!

3. Johnderondon

Johnderondon PetForums VIP

^^Wot she said^^

4. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Well all breeds have been outcrossed somewhere a long the lines to get to them, I dont disagree with it as long as there is a reason to improve on health issues etc or as with guide dogs in their breeding program.

5. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

People who know their breed in and out. And i mean 110% throughly. Good/bad points, the breeds health problems in and out too etc

Also if they were to plan outcrossing then to know or study the science and benefits of it.

6. cav

cav PetForums VIP

yes if you were going improve but most peeps breed a cross with only one thing in mind!:mad:

7. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Ahh i see..Then i agree that IF and only IF it will benifit the breed..But people at the moment..are doing it for the wrong reasons..

8. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

some breeds would definitly benefit from some outcrossings ....

9. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

I completely agree there. A lot of crosses are done for 'designer' and £££ reasons.

But i am talking about outcrossing to better a whole breed. To work towards diminishing the nasty, painful and debilitating hereditory illnesses/diseases that a lot of our pedigree dogs have.

10. cav

cav PetForums VIP

yes thats the problem so many DD breeders are no health tests!
    things are going get worse :mad:

11. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

This is not another ''cross breed'' argument. I appreciate opinions but this about 'outcrossing'

Outcrossing as it should be, is to be done in such a way that the general dog breed will not change in such a dramatic way. (not putting to dogs together of completely seperate breeds and hope for the best)

It is purely to try to diminish the health concerns that dog breeds have.
    It was done very very successfully years ago and i can be done today. If done by extremely knowlegable, experienced genuine people.

12. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

I agree with what everyone else is saying - if it's for health reasons then sometimes it may be neccessary.

However, it's not something I really know a lot about so i'll be reading this thread with interest, I just hope it doesn't get out of hand :)

13. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

I am not on about designer dogs!!

I am talking about serious outcrossing, to better breeds. Done by absolute professionals. Not throwing two dogs together then making £££'s

The science behind it is immense, and it should ever be done with two dogs that have passed tests. And not only 'breed allocated' tests. I mean ALL tests.

It has been done, and it can be done again.

14. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Exactly Cav..Think we should stay out of this one..i am after this! :eek: ;)

Acacia-the people breeding crosses all say the same..we are im proving the health of the dogs...Mongrels are helthier that pure breed.:eek:ut:

But i do agree that some breeds need serious help health wise..

15. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Don't leave the thread DD, please. I am not talking about the people who cross breed.

Cross breeding is different to proper outcrossing.

Cross breeding is putting two dogs together, outcrossing is a science that needs to be studied and thought about to great extent.

Outcrossing is bettering the actual breed, not making a new one!!!!!!!

16. TabbyRoad

TabbyRoad Banned

I know of back-crossing and crossing for what some here are calling "designer" breeds :rolleyes: but what is an example of outcrossing?:confused:

17. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

outcrossing, I assume this means cross breeds?

Sorry I've never heard of the term before :eek:

18. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

if this has already been asked forget it but what breeds are you talking about and what professionals?
    Are you talking about a little genetic modification testing to be slowly acccepted into the wider community? As i think any breeder looking for cash would put two dogs together that are said to enhance the breed as soon as it is public knowledge
    It couldnt be controlled in any way?

19. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

All in all a dog is a dog does it really matter if its a pedigree, cross breed, interbred, as long as its a healthy pet! for gawds sake this "arguement" which it is becoming can go on for ever! get a life people we are never going to change the way things are!
    Goodnight.

20. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Yes, I fully understand what you mean.

I think dog breeders could take a leaf out of the Governing Council of the Cat Fancy's book [GCCF]. Many cat breeds with limited gene pools are permitted certain outcrosses to certain breeds. There are some rules about how many generations need to pass before they can be fully registered and shown, but by and large it is a most helpful option. One might argue that after 5 generations any new gene input could be lost, but if it were for bettering the health of the breed, involving testing and resulting in more disease-free animals, I cannot see the problem at all.

The idea of "closed" Stud Books in breeds is a fairly flawed and limited concept, and I am more than sure the breeders who introduced it around 100 years ago would be the first to realise their mistake in insisting it in the first place. Outcrosses are permitted in some breeds of horses, cattle and sheep and in some cases have improved the breeds no end as well as widening the gene pool.

Acacia86 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice