UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my 3 month old kittens got out of the cat flap today and it wasn't even the more adventurous one. So I've had to lock it and Old Cat can't come and go as she has for 16 years. She's completely deaf so I can't call her in when it's dark, cold or wet. She doesn't go far but has always gone outside, should I now provide a litter tray and hope she'll use it?

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
If she's deaf, yes I would keep her in and provide her with a litter tray at all times!! How can she hear danger such as cars coming down the road?? :confused:

·
Registered
29,781 Posts
As she is deaf, unless you have a cat proofed garden, it would be safer to keep her indoors. How quickly she would get used to a litter tray again at her age is impossible to say. If she refuses to go, unless she can go out, she could end up very uncomfortable, perhaps even constipated. All you can do is provide several trays dotted around the house and hope she will use them.

Best kind of cat flap is the microchip, as you would programme it with your old cat's chip number, but not the kittens chip numbers, so the flap would not open for them if they tried to get out.

·
Mentored by Meeko
26,457 Posts
As Treaclesmum has said I would keep her in ,deaf cats are at great risk out doors.How can see hear danger approaching,best she just learns to use a litter tray again and puts her paws up in the comfort of her safe home ,that way all are kept safe.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
As she is deaf, unless you have a cat proofed garden, it would be safer to keep her indoors. How quickly she would get used to a litter tray again at her age is impossible to say. If she refuses to go, unless she can go out, she could end up very uncomfortable, perhaps even constipated. All you can do is provide several trays dotted around the house and hope she will use them.

Best kind of cat flap is the microchip, as you would programme it with your old cat's chip number, but not the kittens chip numbers, so the flap would not open for them if they tried to get out.
That's not the case I'm afraid! It lets any cat out but only the cats programmed in the house! It's a right pain for us at present!

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
That's not the case I'm afraid! It lets any cat out but only the cats programmed in the house! It's a right pain for us at present!
You could reverse it though, so it would only let the microchipped cat out, but there could be a risk of neighbour's cats coming in!

We have a basic flap and we never used to have other cats coming in, but recently we've had a black tom pop in sometimes!!

·
Mentored by Meeko
26,457 Posts
From what I have read on the forum ,I believe that the time lag on any electronic cat flap can be enough to allow a smart cat to follow another as it goes out/in ,so doesnt stop others escaping

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The cat flap will have to stay locked until the kittens are old enough to go out. Old cat hasn't gone out of the garden since long before she went deaf so she's quite safe. She hasn't used the litter tray yet but I let her out in the sun today. She sleeps 23 1/2 hours a day.

·
Slave to the Hairy Hikers
12,358 Posts
You could reverse it though, so it would only let the microchipped cat out, but there could be a risk of neighbour's cats coming in!
That's what I did, I put a reversed petporte cat flap in the wall between the hall and the garden room. Only adult cats who have lived here long enough are programmed in and can get out.

As for clever cats following a cat in, they do that with magnet-operated cat flaps, too.
Jiskefet was a master at losing his collar, but he would always get into the house. He simply waited for one of the other cats to go in and stuck his head into the cat flap before it had fallen into the closed/locked position.

Jiskefet even deliberately invited his friends in by keeping the flap open with his tail long enough for his friends to follow him.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.