Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Out of date items.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by mollyismyworld, Jun 23, 2009.

1. mollyismyworld

Not felt great today, but feeling a bit perkier now.

I had chicken last night for dinner, and woke up feeling really bad. It was de-frosted chicken breast from my freezer.

I am the worst of the worse for food that is past its use by date...eggs, milk, bread...absolutely anything...I always check the dates and can't enjoy something if it is overdue being used.

I was wondering how long is ok to keep chicken ( fresh and frozen same day) in the freezer before it can be bad for you?

I have always gone by a month after purchase as most packs suggest....but now if I'm thinking of last night's dinner, I feel very queasy.

Do u eat out of date items? Does chicken have to be eaten before one month do you think?
    I am considering binning the items in my freezer! :eek:

2. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

You can eat it for agggggggges after! The Best before dates are just there to cover the supermarkets backsides basically and to make sure they regularly update their products. They mean less if the item is frozen cos if you have the top freezer which most people do it can be kept in there for 3 months after the sel by date.

I will eat stuff past their sell by, and best before date - note it only says BEST before, not that you can't eat it afterwards!

If chicken is off, you know about it and it sticks so you wouldn't eat it!

Char
    xxx

3. zanussi

zanussi PetForums Member

I think most things last ages in the freezer but it depends on how good you freezer is- little ice boxes at the top of small fridges aren't particularly cold so stuff only lasts a few weeks but if you've a proper freezer in good working order (that your OH hasn't left the door open to...;)) stuff should last for ages. If you're freezing foods yourself you should do it as quickly as possible after purchase to keep bacteria levels low- freezing doesn't kill bacteria just stops it multiplying.
    Also don't assume that because chicken was the last thing you ate before getting ill that it was responsible for it. A few years ago I came down with terrible food poisoning and assumed it was some mackerel that I'd defrosted the night before. I soon discovered that 2 of my friends were also suffering and it was actually some oysters we'd all eaten 2 days before!

4. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

As long as it has been frozen you should be fine - mine lasts ages! obviously once you have defrosted dont re freeze it though lol. Maybe it just didnt agree with you....hope you feel better today x:)

5. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Never take any notice of sell by dates whether in the freezer or fridge. If my nose and eyes thinks it ok then its ok ;);)

6. rona

rona Guest

I'm always careful with meat products but anything else just goes by how it looks and smells

7. mollyismyworld

Thanks all...just catching up on this as I was pretty ill yesterday!

I actually have binned a lot of stuff from the freezer as I couldn't stand the thought of having (maybe) eaten something 'off'.

Thanks zanussi aswell for the post....I made a chicken curry the day before and my OH was here for that...he's ok, so I'm guessing it was my de-frosted chicken.

Salad tonight! :p

8. hutch6

hutch6 PetForums VIP

If I don't have to shave it I'll eat it.

Never had food poisoning and I've eaten some things that people would just throw in the bin without any after thought.

9. LilyPadLane

LilyPadLane PetForums Newbie

the chicken should of been fine, I constantly freeze things as soon as I buy them and leave them for months before cooking! aslong as they've constantly been frozen, it shouldn't be a problem.. but just to be on the safe side, always make sure you cook the meat thoroughly :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice