UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am relatively new here, but one thing I have picked up is the real hatred for out of control dogs.

Those of you with strong opinions on this matter, are there any instances whereby you could forgive an owner/handler?

For example, My dogs are ok - 2 terriers who bark occasionally and 1 labradoodle pup who is learning fast. My dogs are reasonably well behaved, but I certainly could n ot get them to sit and wait and totally do as they are told all the time.
I also have mental health issues and can be slower to react at times - leading to times where my dogs have possibly ran upto others who didn't appreciate it.

I am very forgiving in nature, and realise not everyone has totally well trained dogs 100% of the time. Many of us enjoy pets, not finely tuned working dogs.

Doany of you have my opinion? Or do expect all owners/handlers to have complete 100% control at all times, or never get off lead??

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
Im with you in that I dont mind dogs approaching without their owners, however I have dogs who arent reactive and arent going to be upset with approaching dogs, they are also big enough not to be harmed by an over friendly dog leaping about. I think if I had a reactive dog or a small breed I would think differently.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I think that if you have a dog that isnt responisve to you then you shouldnt allow the dog to be in a situation where it may be a "nuisance" to others. I have a dog who recall is poor especially if there are people or dogs around so therefore i dont allow him to be offlead anywhere where this may be a problem. There are plenty of cheap lunge lines about so a dog can have a goodrun about but be contolled.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have small dogs.

I have found myself in situations where my tinier than runty jrt has been frightened by a bigger dog. I have calmy stepped in, shrugged off 'thats dogs for you' to the mortified owner and gone on my merry way.

Being a reactive owner only justifies a reaction in the dog - surely??

·
Still missing my boys
42,329 Posts
Puppies, newly rescued dogs, those with elderly or disabled owners and those owners that really seem to be trying (not just shouting) are all forgiven here :)

It's mainly those that stroll along either oblivious or blasé to what their dogs are doing that pee me off :(

Those that actually know their dog is a pest/aggressive and do nothing are the worst though. Any person with half a brain could work out what damage these dogs could do to others :mad:

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think that if you have a dog that isnt responisve to you then you shouldnt allow the dog to be in a situation where it may be a "nuisance" to others. I have a dog who recall is poor especially if there are people or dogs around so therefore i dont allow him to be offlead anywhere where this may be a problem. There are plenty of cheap lunge lines about so a dog can have a goodrun about but be contolled.
what about a situation where a dog is less responsive due to presence of another dog? Said dog is usually good, but has these one off exceptions, but it is a pet....Should that dog then always be on a lead?

Sorry - I must seem very argumentative, I am trying to see all opinions, that is all :)

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
Puppies, newly rescued dogs, those with elderly or disabled owners and those owners that really seem to be trying (not just shouting) are all forgiven here :)

It's mainly those that stroll along either oblivious or blasé to what their dogs are doing that pee me off :(

Those that actually know their dog is a pest/aggressive and do nothing are the worst though. Any person with half a brain could work out what damage these dogs could do to others :mad:
I think this post sums it up really, we all struggle with our dogs behaviour at some time, but we struggle and do our best to make it better, its the people who just dont give a damn that can get people annoyed.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Dont mind offlead dogs at all, wish my two could be offlead but the can not due to breedtraits
I have a problem with dogs and hardly any/lack of recall.
My dogs are both reactive to dogs in different ways
Jenna- pulls, whines, backs up and jumps to play with of lead dog
Balto- growl, hackles up, aggresive stance

This only happens when he is approached by an off lead dog because i have no where to escape.
If he went for said dog i would struggle to hold two dogs Back from a fight

Xx

·
PetForums Vaccinator
3,438 Posts
I think everyone realises that mistakes happen. It's sometimes the attitudes of others when mistakes happen. I think there prime reasons are:

1. Your dog is "bothering" my dog and you refuse to remove it.
2. I am doing something with my dog and your dog is interfering.
3. You expect my dog to teach your dog manners.
4. My dog has issues and you are putting us back in our rehabilitation.

The issue that most people have is that in these situations the other owner either:

1. Is not in sight.
2. Makes no *attempt* to recall their dog.
3. Thinks it's funny.
4. Is wearing pink wellingtons.

If the other owner were to rush over and put their dog back on lead and apologise I don't think there would be an issue... unless it was the umpteenth time.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
it can be annoying, as tia is nervous of other dogs purely through being harrassed by larger dogs when she wanted to be left alone. however as long as the owner is making some effort to get their dog back, i don't mind and if it's being polite and tia wants to then i'm happy for them to play. it's just the ones who don't care how much their dog is scaring yours that bother me. having said that, tia was never off a longline in public until she had "perfect" recall as i don't think it's fair on others.

·
Banned
19,241 Posts
I am relatively new here, but one thing I have picked up is the real hatred for out of control dogs.

Those of you with strong opinions on this matter, are there any instances whereby you could forgive an owner/handler?

For example, My dogs are ok - 2 terriers who bark occasionally and 1 labradoodle pup who is learning fast. My dogs are reasonably well behaved, but I certainly could n ot get them to sit and wait and totally do as they are told all the time.
I also have mental health issues and can be slower to react at times - leading to times where my dogs have possibly ran upto others who didn't appreciate it.

I am very forgiving in nature, and realise not everyone has totally well trained dogs 100% of the time. Many of us enjoy pets, not finely tuned working dogs.

Doany of you have my opinion? Or do expect all owners/handlers to have complete 100% control at all times, or never get off lead??
I don't think anyone here hates any dog, out of control or otherwise. What we do not like is an owner of an out of control dog doing sod all about it, especially if the dog is aggressive. My Ferdie loves to run up and say hello to people, but mostly it is people he knows, whereas there are a couple of dogs we meet who will run up to you and into you, so you have to jump out of the way quick.

I don't personally like to see perfectly behaved dogs who look like they are afraid to do anything else, but perfectly behaved ones who look like they want it to be that way, that is different. My Diva is perfectly behaved, but only cos she wants to.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
my daxi's do as they please (as does my chiweenie) 99% of the time but i do want them to behave when they see other dogs while out on a walk, for their safety mainly as the other dog might be DA and i don't want my lot injured or worse killed, lex on the other hand has to behave while out on a walk as he's a big GSD i don't want one of my lot to be accused of something so he's kept on a short leash while passing people and other dogs, none of them are allowed off leash (from my 7 month chiweenie to my GSD) at any time (it's not that i don't trust them off lead i don't want them running up to other people and being a pain to other people plus i don't trust other peoples dogs round here) i have a 40ft long line i use for them on the playing field near me :)

·
Registered
8,343 Posts
It can be annoying but dogs always have and always will run up to other dogs and nothing will change really.

Here it is an almost daily thing. We just have to get used to it.

I take offence when it is an aggresive dog.

I understand about dogs recovering from surgery, although I would maybe not risk it and exercise in an enclosed garden where the would be no danger of an offlead dog jumping on a recovering dog.

·
Registered
15,290 Posts
I have a feeling that until you've actually experienced the damage and problems that can be caused by an out of control dog, even a friendly one, you don't realise just how big a problem it can be.

What may be "nothing to get upset about" with a friendly dog can have HUGE repercussions with a dog with issues of any type. I've known of dogs being lost because they were approached by another, panicked, slipped their leash and ran. Dogs having seizures due to the stress of another dog running up to them. Dogs being injured because of out of control dogs jumping on them. And so on. Plus the risk to the dog that actually does the running up.

Do I think every dog that runs up is owned by an idiot? No and as long as the owner is making an effort to get their dog and isn't a serial offender I'm not going to get too upset about it. Especially now that I have a dog who doesn't have issues with other dogs. When someone is blatantly ignoring the fact their dog is causing someone else a problem then yeah, I get angry and have something to say about it. Same with serial offenders whose dogs are constantly being allowed to make a nuisance of themselves.

I don't generally mind dogs running up to Spencer as long as they are actually friendly. Same when I had Shadow and Wolf. When I had Rupert though it was a huge problem as he'd attempt to beat them to death with his muzzle. And of course his behaviour often triggered the other dog to fight back which 9 times out of 10 left me struggling to keep 2 dogs apart while the other dogs owner just carried on as though they hadn't noticed!

·
Registered
8,888 Posts
On a personal level I don't care, Kes is more of a pest than any dog who wants to come and say hello so they quickly run off anyway. I know a lot of dogs are nervous, old, recovering from surgery etc so that's why I put her on lead and don't let her approach, quite often people thank me for it.

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
I don't mind if the dog is friendly - Pippa is friendly too.

I once had a black labrador running up to Pippa grabbing her by the neck and sort of pushing it too the ground, basically being really dominant and mildly aggressive. I wasn't happy with that! I had to shout at the dog. The owner didn't really seem bothered.

She always goes on lead if I see another dog before she does, as she will run up to them, if the other dog is fine then they can play :)

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
I think everyone realises that mistakes happen. It's sometimes the attitudes of others when mistakes happen. I think there prime reasons are:

1. Your dog is "bothering" my dog and you refuse to remove it.
2. I am doing something with my dog and your dog is interfering.
3. You expect my dog to teach your dog manners.
4. My dog has issues and you are putting us back in our rehabilitation.

The issue that most people have is that in these situations the other owner either:

1. Is not in sight.
2. Makes no *attempt* to recall their dog.
3. Thinks it's funny.
4. Is wearing pink wellingtons.

If the other owner were to rush over and put their dog back on lead and apologise I don't think there would be an issue... unless it was the umpteenth time.
HEY! I wear pink wellies!!!

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
I'd prefer it if unknown dogs didn't run up to mine as one has been ragged by an off lead dog and the other is only 7 pounds. Both of mine are dog friendly and don't mind. My older dog has never run off, but my little one has run up to a dog when it was dusk and I hadn't managed to see them. I apologised and it was fine, so whilst I might not like it I'd be a hypocrite to complain!

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.