Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Out of control cat situation....advice needed please

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by old298, Aug 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. old298

old298 PetForums Newbie

Hi Lea

they are scared to take them to the vets because it has been some time since their mother passed away and they are concerned that they may be held responsible for the unhealthy state of the cats. The Animal Welfare Act is quite clear - they have a duty to prevent harm and promote welfare, neither of which they are doing particularly well at the moment. And the penalties are also quite clear. What seems to be coming clear is that you kind people do not think the AW Act is enforced to this level.

2. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

I think regardless of what they think, the longer they leave it, the worse it will get.

3. old298

old298 PetForums Newbie

4. old298

old298 PetForums Newbie

Hi Amsmam. I can't reply to your post for some reason but yes, this is quicker than I realised. I think nature is keeping things at bay somewhat. In particular I believe the local red kite population is quite well fed by all accounts.

AmsMam likes this.
  5. lea247

lea247 PetForums Senior

This is why they need to get them to the vets, then they can't be charged. I really would stress the importance of getting the cats to the vets ASAP.

If someone were to come on to the farm and see the condition of the cats and then report them. Well, it would be a different story.

chillminx, kittih and Joy84 like this.
  6. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

If you are that worried about legal action, then you'd get those cats to the vets and have them examined and treated asap. That is working within the animal welfare act which is very, very basic at the end of the day. Of course if you do nothing, and someone sees the cats and puts in a complaint then a whole world of trouble could be coming your way.

7. old298

old298 PetForums Newbie

Yes but doing nothing is not an option. The question as to whether or not they may be prosecuted is the central issue here.

If they chip up to the CPL or something similar with a bag of 25 cats and a wad of twenties as a donation expecting everything to be fine, but instead end up in the back of a police car, this is bad.

I need to know if this is likely. If it is then some other solution must be found. Like taking a few to a vet here and a few to a vet there and then handing them to the charity. Which is more timely, costly and may also increase the chances of someone calling the authorities if they should get a particularly officious vet somewhere.

So the best option for me to help them sort this out is I turn up, stick them in a few boxes, drive to the cat charity, hand them over with a mumbled explanation and offer a healthy donation. My question then is very simple...is that going to land me in hot water?

Oh, and I bet you guys like a cute cat picture. I felt sorry for a pregnant cat last time I went so brought it home. After some extremely good food and tlc mum and 4 kittens are very happy in my study... moggy.jpg

chillminx, Soozi, Summercat and 3 others like this.
  8. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

Given that the actual prosecution statistics for the RSPCA are horrendously poor, and that they don't remove nearly half as many animals as they should, I think it's safe to say that the people who have these cats and kittens will be fine. I would be very surprised if they were prosecuted by taking them all to the vet.

As an aside, you can't just rock up to any rescue with a rake of cats and a load of cash and expect the rescue to take them. Rescues are overloaded with the amount of cats and kittens waiting for homes, and new arrivals have to be quarantined before moving into general rescue population.

These animals need veterinary care and going on a waiting list for rescue spaces.

Calvine, Joy84, Orla and 1 other person like this.
  9. Joy84

Joy84 PetForums VIP

Like others, I think if they ask for help and explain the situation (they don't need to mention how long ago the relative passed away I guess...) there's no danger of them being treated like someone neglecting the animals, quite the opposite.
    However if they leave it much longer and let the cats not only multiply out of control but also spread possible illnesses then if someone notices and reports it it could land them in trouble. So I would advise acting as soon as possible.
    How lovely of you to take care of the Mum and kittens!
    They're beautiful :)

10. lea247

lea247 PetForums Senior

Agree with what you're saying @Rufus15 about the RSPCA.

Near where I grew up there was a dog left tied up on the moors, you could see it from the main road. It had a kennel and a bowl of water, I think it's 'owners' came and fed it. Despite multiple people reporting it to the RSPCA, they didn't prosecute anyone because it had water and shelter!

Calvine likes this.
  11. Orla

Orla PetForums Senior

I think at the end of the day it seems a cause of ignorance rather than neglect. They have inherited the property and cats without any real thought as to how they should be taking care of the animals and now have realised that it is beyond their control to do more than just feed them, they are breeding out of control, and so if they now seek advice and help by ringing CPL or someone similar, I think it could reasonably be seen as them trying to do what is best for the cats, so hopefully should be looked upon favourably.

12. Jesthar

Jesthar PetForums VIP

Highly unlikely. You don't have to give them chapter and verse, either - your Mum died, left behind a load of barn cats and the family have realised they can't cope with them as things stand. Many farm barn cats don't even get fed, they are expected to hunt to keep the rodent population down, so the family aren't even doing that badly as things go. They've never had cats before but have now realised many of the cats are in poor shape, and obviously some (or all) need neutering if there are kittens. There's nothing particularly contentious there.

As we say, very unlikely, but you can't just turn up at a rescue with a bunch of cats - they are overflowing and there will be a long waiting list. Far better to start taking them to the vet in batches, I'd have thought - just tell the simple truth and say they are inherited farm cats who don't appear to have ever been to a vet, and take it from there. Be warned some may be too sick to save, but you can at least do the basics for the others. :)

13. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

I think as others have said seeking vet care asap is the action that won't lead to any criminal action. I don't think they need to say when they inherited the cats just that they have and they were concerned about their condition.

Doing nothing is more likely to end in prosecution as if someone files a complaint then they have taken no action.

Of all the animal rescue programmes shown most ft prosecuted when they have done nothing to help their animals. If someone did complain and you can respond that you have sought vet treatment here are the notes and medication then you are just doing the best with a situation that's been inherited.

Perhaps register with a vet that is different to one your deceased relative used to save complex explanations. Call up and make an appointment - for so many cats you will need a fee long ones most likely. Take the worst ones in first.

For now once treated the cats can be returned to the farm but I suggest you keep the females somewhere secure where they cannot mate or escape whilst they wait their neutering OPs. The males are less urgent. Once treated start approaching rescues about a few cats each. In the meantime keep on top of medicating and looking after the cats.

14. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave PetForums VIP

Red Kites are almost exclusively carrion eaters, and they eat worms and occasionally small mammals - mice, shrews, voles. Inside all those feathers they only weigh a kilo or just over. They are no threat to healthy adult cats.

chillminx, sandy-cat and kittih like this.
  15. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave PetForums VIP

Not sure what part of the UK you are in, but ring around the local charities, explain the situation and see if you can get neutering vouchers.

Get the girls neutered first, as they cannot get pregnant again whereas the boys can continue to get girls pregnant for a period of time after castration. They can be wormed & treated against fleas while at the vets, and assessed for any other health issues.

The way to get in trouble is to do nothing. I see no issue with them talking to the rescues themselves.

kittih likes this.
  16. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

@old298
    Beautiful pic of mum and babies:)

I would do as suggested, get on a list for a rescue (s). There may be assistance for spaying/neutering and vaccination costs.

17. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

Especially after this thread on the issue is here for all to see and then nothing is done.

Particularly as it seems they are happy feeding the local predator bird population with those cats (which I very much doubt happens) as they have said. :rolleyes:

sandy-cat and lorilu like this.
  18. SuboJvR

SuboJvR Joey’s Mummy

I would ring around the local charities and ask for their help in catching the cats and getting them attended to. So for those who are unhealthy, veterinary care. Spay the females as soon as is feasible. Ideally all cats neutered but the girls first, to prevent any more kittens!

I'm not sure if CP may have a fund to help with this? The cats involved aren't really pets are they, they are living on someone's land, which isn't quite the same thing IMO. Cats Protection would probably rather try and help curb the situation rather than automatically get involved with rescuing and rehoming (due to space limitations).

Healthy kittens could potentially go to a shelter if they have space for them as they would be easier to rehome and would keep the numbers on the farm down and manageable.

Just a few ideas.

I really, really doubt Cats Protection would pursue any action against someone on this - especially not someone who is trying to help. Neglect of a pet is one thing, you're talking about semi-feral cats who live on someone's land, which is another :)

Soozi and kittih like this.
  19. old298

old298 PetForums Newbie

Great - I think you have answered my question and put my mind at rest. Thank you all very much for your help.

By the way....anyone want a kitten? :)

Soozi likes this.
  20. blkcat

blkcat PetForums Member

The Cats Protection will be more interested in getting them neutered than pursuing you. When I volunteered there, they had programs specifically for farm cats and farms looking for cats.

I wouldn't hesitate to get on to them if you haven't done already.

chillminx, Lurcherlad and kittih like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice