Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Our wonderful vet!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Little-moomin, Jan 12, 2022.

1. Little-moomin

Little-moomin PetForums VIP

Just curious as to your thoughts.

Our vet is fantastic, he is over 80 years old, has ran his practice for years and years and is highly recommended. He is very no nonsense, and his two vet receptionists are fantastic (I think one of them is a vet nurse too) and they always give great advise over the phone.

What I love about the practice is, unless they really can't advise, they are always recommending things you can try and home first. If you insist on seeing them, you can of course, but they generally ask why your ringing and see if they can save you a visit first.

When I took Apollo to our vet recently, he said he doesn't agree with deworming and defleaing monthly. He said when he had his puppy, he de-wormed him then, and after that, unless he had worms (which he said, if you're picking up their poop, you will see) he doesn't see the point in giving it monthly. He said the reason lots of vets and the companies themselves advise to, is because of money.

He also only advises to vaccinate dogs and cats every two years, not one.

I love this ethos, and I have never personally heard anything bad about him or his practice.

Just curious as to peoples thoughts. I think it is so refreshing to have a vet that doesn't try and wrangle money out of you at every given moment!

2. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

I agree with him. I only worm and de flea if there is a reason to although Isla does wear a seresto collar much if the year due to ticks. My vet vaccinated annually but not not everything, he works on a 3 year cycle on some and annual on parvo and lepto

Happy Paws2 and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

I think I'd be a little concerned by such a vet tbh - then again I have zero relationship with my vet, always see a different one and they see my dogs once a year, hopefully :Hilarious

Vets don't set the time scale for vaccinations - it's the manufactures and you can find this information yourself online. Typically it's yearly for lepto and for most core vaccines every 3 years is the recommendation after the puppy course and first year booster. You can also titer test - shows you the dogs immunity levels for that given time and day, vaccinate accordingly then if you wish.

You won't see worms in dog poo - perhaps tapeworm fragments but that'd be incredibly difficult to see unless you tear apart and inspect every poo or your dog has a huge worm burden. Most parasitic worms lifecycle only shed eggs in stool and you won't see those without a microscope. Only time you'd see worms in poo is after deworming if the dog had a high worm burden. I don't routinely worm - my dogs are not high risk, they don't hunt, scavenge, eat poo etc... however again you can send stool samples to check for worm eggs and treat accordingly.

You have to remember vets see the worst cases - a malnourished and, or anemic dog or puppy is a horrible sight to see, especially when it is so preventable. I always worm puppies regardless - following the product information, under-worming can be worse as it allows worms to build up immunity to the products.

Often vets will give advice to prevent most things - they often won't know you, they don't know what knowledge you have so it's easier to assume none and take the safest precaution and prevention. Some parasitic worms can have serious consequences for people too - especially children. Vets don't have huge margins to make profit on flea and worming products.

4. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

My previous vet was absolutely wonderful over 25 years we had developed a wonderful relationship. Sadly she has retired, sold the practice and the last two visits I have been very disappointed. To the point that I may end up looking for a new vet. They push monthly flea and tick treatments that the practice sells, I explained that I don't treat for fleas unless my cats and dogs have fleas and the vet argued with me that my dog could get a serious disease from fleas. Okay, what? The bubonic plague? When she couldn't come up with a flea borne disease, she said that since Penny is small she could become anemic if she had a bad enough infestation. Dude, the dog sleeps in my bed, do you really think I'm going to let her get fleas to the point that she's anemic?
    Basically they were trying to sell me their monthly package and I didn't want to, so they tried to scare me in to it, and I'm not falling for that.

But what really has me annoyed is that this practice missed an obvious case of ringworm, not my cat but a friend's kitten, I took one look and told her it was ringworm, take her to the vet, they can treat it. Then I recommended this practice!! They said it was a flea allergy, gave her flea meds and sent her on her way. A week later the poor owner is now covered in ringworm and the kitten has even more bald patches. New vet diagnosed correctly and both human and cat being treated successfully.
    I will not be recommending this practice again....
    There's one a little further up the road that a few of my dog friends use who sounds a lot more understanding of different types of owners. Penny isn't due for anything for another 3 years so we'll see....

Sarah H and lullabydream like this.
  5. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I do not flea and worm treat. I tend to go by what I was taught as a vet nurse so would have a similar background to your vet. Adult dogs are usually fairly resistant to getting worms and I would only treat for fleas if necessary. I use a pour on wormer and flea treatment every year or so! Unless there is a reason for doing it.

As for vaccination, the normal is lepto and parainfluenza yearly and the core vaccines 3 yearly so by vaccinating 2 yearly he is not following any protocol and either going twice as long as he should for lepto and too soon for the core ones or if he only does the core ones every other time he is going too long on them. So I would not be at all happy with that.

Giving advice rather than having to go in every time ticks the boxes for me. I have always done that.

Sarah H and Lurcherlad like this.
  6. Emlar

Emlar PetForums Senior

I think id be happy for a vet to give me both sides of the argument, and let me decide. So I'd be happy for a vet not to push for monthly flea and worming, but equally be okay if that's what I decided to do. If that makes sense...??

Torin., Sarah H and Lurcherlad like this.
  7. Mum2Ozzy

Mum2Ozzy PetForums Senior

My dog is a scavenger (getting better) and partial to cat poop so I worm every 3 months with panacur as that's what it says on the packaging.
    I started flea and tick monthly subscription as I'm mostly worried about ticks.
    Our practice doesn't push anything. I'd love to have this kind of relationship with our vet and being able to just have a chat and ask question. Last vet we saw told me to do just that but we see different person each time. I was quite upset that I didn't even get to see the vet who did Ozzy's castration. I know it's probably the most routine procedure they do but it was quite a big deal for me.

Sarah H likes this.
  8. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

He sounds wonderful and very like my old vet, who looked after my horses and dogs for almost 40 years. He also didn't believe in worming, unless they were given raw meat and even 30 years ago was advocating vaccines every two years and no longer necessary by the time they reached 7/8 years old.

niamh123 likes this.
  9. Arny

Arny PetForums VIP

The receptionist shouldn’t think anything of you asking to see a specific vet.
    When the receptionist tried to give me a different vet for a post op check, purely because she was doing a literal be seen in a week, the vet said “I’d like to admire my handiwork” :D

Mum2Ozzy likes this.
  10. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I only treat for fleas if our dogs have fleas. Rosie has been de-flead once in thirteen years.

I worm them both once a year.

11. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

having seen older dogs die from distemper when the protocol was more like what you are saying - and I am not talking the odd dog, there was an epidemic in an area where distemper had been unknown and there were several cases a day, most of which were put to sleep at some stage of the disease, I find it hard to agree with not vaccinating as they get older.

lullabydream and Torin. like this.
  12. pinklizzy

pinklizzy PetForums Senior

After last year seeing two 12yr old dogs who'd not been vaccinated for the last 4yrs of their lives die of parvovirus, I will continue to give mine boosters annually.

Mum2Ozzy and Blitz like this.
  13. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Nooka has a vet we nearly always see (she was away when we had her 6 monthly check once so did see someone else) and she is great. Nooka gets bloods done every year as she's on long term Apoquel, and at her last blood test her platelet levels came back weirdly low. So instead of assuming something was up with her the vet actually looked at the blood herself and saw that they were perfectly normal, just clumped, so the machine was counting a clump of 5 or so platelets as one big one!
    She also always asks if I want flea or worming, never pushes it as she knows I'm an experienced dog person so I never get lectures about anything either. When I rang up in a (not quite) panic because I knew of 3 dogs locally who had Lepto (two died) and none of mine were up-to-date with Lepto she booked them all in together and checked with me how Nooka was afterwards because of her allergies (she gets titre tested rather than vaccinated now). She also did her allergy consult a month early so it would coincide with the vaccs so I didn't need to come in again and pay for another consult!
    This used to be a family run surgery but they retired and it is now part of a chain I think, however I stuck with them and I'm glad I did as I like my current vet and trust her to do the best for me and my dogs.
    In terms of worming I don't do it as often as it's suggested, but do worm now and again. I did worm when Fly decided to munch on fallen apples as they come into contact with slugs and snails so I was concerned about lung worm. Flea I only give if I see fleas, and we don't see many ticks on the dogs so that doesn't worry me hugely (despite my neighbour's dog dying from a tick bite a few years ago).

Torin. likes this.
  14. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

I've recently changed dog vets and am still getting to know the new practice's views on as such. I moved from a modern small animals only big practice in the big town to a more old school mixed practice in the local market town. Both practices fiercely independent. I'm definitely being treated more like an educated owner who knows their stuff now, than a clueless MOP making behavioural things up for sh*ts and giggles.

Cad's been to the new one 3x now (for ongoing allergy care) and they've not once mentioned fleaing or worming. I tend to treat for both in the warmer months, stopping worming earlier in the autumn than flea treatments. Cad participates in high risk activities for them both, and I'm really allergic to fleas, but I don't worry about tick cover.

15. Mum2Ozzy

Mum2Ozzy PetForums Senior

That made me chuckle:)
    The day he was castrated it wqs like a conveyor belt, we were the first ones in the reception, within 10 minutes few more pets arrived, all for the same thing. We got admitted by one nurse and then discharged by another nurse. It all went well but it just felt odd that I didn't get to see the vet. And don't get me started about collecting him and waiting while hearing dogs crying and barking at the kennels in the back:(

16. Arny

Arny PetForums VIP

I think it'll be like that everywhere when neutering is concerned, its so routine but they probably don't realise some owners will be upset as its the first time they've been away from their pet and first surgery.
    With Tilly's eye lid surgery the vet called me to explain how everything went and the aftercare but she was handed over by a nurse.
    As he wanted to get her in asap but my parents were away and I choose not to drive he offered to drop her home if I couldn't get a lift from a neighbour.

Mum2Ozzy likes this.
  17. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Well of course these days we have the choice of titre-testing.

18. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Yes you can but as my vet told me when I asked about it - it only tells you the status for that day.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice