UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Confession first, I suppose. Bess has been dreadful at pulling on the lead. For 8 weeks I did a lot of road walking which took twice as long as it should as we took one step, she pulled ahead, I stopped, turned round, walked in the other direction, moved forward again. She just would not get walking without pulling.

I have to take her on a flexi now otherwise I'd lose her. When she sees a bird or rabbit she lunges - so badly one day I had mild whiplash. Apart from not doing me any good, I worried about her neck! It was also getting dangerous as she nearly pulled me over a few times.

So I thought something needed to be done, so I got a Dogmatic. And wow - what a difference! She doesn't like wearing it, but always puts her head into it without any fuss to put it on, so she can't hate it that much. I've been using it for about 5 days now, and it's such a pleasure to take her out. On roads she walks nicely by my side, and in fields she stops before she gets to the end of the flexi (she's pretty accurate on length as well). When a bird flies out I call out 'leave it', and she stands and watches it fly away without chasing.

I'm going to start putting another collar on her as well, and using that instead of the Dogmatic, and then swopping them over again if she pulls. Hopefully I'll be able to get her to stop pulling on a normal collar.

Dogmatic and Flexi :yikes: I know some people will want to lynch me, but Bess and I are having much more pleasant walks now.

Here's the pics of today - you can see the dark clouds in one pic, but we got back before any rain. :)

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
16,437 Posts
Lovely pics but I would reconsider using a flex & with a head collar. If she does decide to leap forward then she could easily damage her neck with such a sudden movement if on a flexi.

Why don't you take another lead with you & use it when you are using the head collar? You could just strap it around yourself to save carrying it.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Whatever works for you! Surely she could also be injured with a collar on a flexi, or any lead for that matter if she flies off, reaches the end and gets jolted back cos you're holding on!! it seems things are much safer this way for both of you, and if it makes walks more enjoyable and nobody is harmed, why not?

She's beautiful - but you probably already know that :p

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lovely pics but I would reconsider using a flex & with a head collar. If she does decide to leap forward then she could easily damage her neck with such a sudden movement if on a flexi.

Why don't you take another lead with you & use it when you are using the head collar? You could just strap it around yourself to save carrying it.
When Bess can nearly pull me off my feet with a sudden lunge after a rabbit, I get really worried about her neck then. She doesn't try to pull on the Dogmatic - and she's had a lot of temptation. This morning she had pheasants flying up that she flushed out of a hedge. She's a clever dog, and seems to have sussed the headcollar out.

To be honest, I think there is more chance of her damaging her neck on a normal collar. I also think there's more chance of her injuring me on a normal collar!

Last night walking into ringcraft I said 'heel', and to my surprise, she did - only for a few seconds to be sure. But that's after only a few days of the headcollar, so I'm hopeful she may not have to wear it for long.

·
Registered
8,343 Posts

I too thought that a dogmatic and flexi wasnt advisable. I think a normal lead would be safer.

If not, a harness may give you a bit more control, especially if she doesnt like it.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
This is SO dangerous - you could break her neck.

I know you love your dog so PLEASE do not do this ever again!

The way that a headcollar 'turns' the dog's head and neck, when teamed with a Flexi, is REALLY dangerous for your beautiful girl.

A Flexi can be used with a 'normal' collar - still not ideal but SAFER than what you are doing now.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE reconsider - I know you would be heartbroken if your lovely girl suffered serious damage and THIS CAN EASILY HAPPEN with what you're doing now.

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
Absolutely lovely photos; Bess is gorgeous. I must admit I am always horrified when I see a flexi used with a headcollar too like others.

·
Registered
7,036 Posts
Beautiful dog.

I have never used flexi as they seem so flimsy always think will break and heard you shouldn't use with a head collar.

Can you use the long training leads with a head collar - just wondered if that would be a solution for op?

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Beautiful dog.

I have never used flexi as they seem so flimsy always think will break and heard you shouldn't use with a head collar.

Can you use the long training leads with a head collar - just wondered if that would be a solution for op?
Can't see a difference between a long line and a flexi in this circumstance.

Appreciate all the concerns, but Bess is more likely to break her neck on any long line or flexi with a normal collar. It's so difficult to explain her behaviour with the head collar unless you see it. She's a different dog - no pulling, no lunging.

I wouldn't recommend this for any other dog as they might behave differently to Bess.

·
Registered
15,290 Posts
No, neither flexi leashes or long lines should be used with a head collar. Spen's also pretty good about knowing how far he can go before he hits the end of the long line but there's no way I'd risk his life by using it with a head collar.

·
Registered
7,036 Posts
No, neither flexi leashes or long lines should be used with a head collar. Spen's also pretty good about knowing how far he can go before he hits the end of the long line but there's no way I'd risk his life by using it with a head collar.
Thought not! Isn't the easiest thing then to also have a normal collar to attach the flexi, ie just using the head collar for lead walks

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
At the risk of repeating everyone else here, please don't use a flexi lead on a halti or similar contraption. At worst she could snap her neck and at best she could chip a vertebrae, honestly, it's just not worth the pain. Put her in a harness on the flexi lead, please. Don't be sorry after the event. :(

I've seen so many dogs that have neck problems because of these contraptions anyway, so whereas I think short term they might be useful, long term, I'd burn them all. I absolutely hate them.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
She's a gorgeous dog! :001_wub: xx

I'd use a good harness with a flexi OR a dogmatic and normal lead. I have always been under the impression that Flexi' leads should only be used with harnesses.

I like the (( Mekuti Harness )) and if I had a dog that pulled it's likely this is what I personally would use.

The (( Kumfi Complete Control Harness )) also looks good and I've seen it recommended - it's good value too.

But I realise dogmatics can be a useful tool. I just wouldn't use one with a Flexi lead. :)

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Such a lovely looking dog and you seem to have a nice spot for walking :thumbsup:

As soon as I saw your pics tho, the head collar/flexi lead did make me instantly think... wow your about to get an eyeball bashing with the replies :p

The trouble with a flexi/head collar is that Bess could quite easily and quickly run to the end of the lead picking up a good speed as she does so and come to a very sudden abrupt stop with all the force going into her neck.
( I once ran to the end of a long line at speed intil I came to an abrupt stop just intime to meet some torn shoulder muscles, so I have enough experience to tell you how painful and dangerous it is and that is just with a shoulder... had it been my neck, I am pretty certain my skull would have detatched from my neck bones or what ever the scientific name is)
It is one of those things that you end up saying through eyes full of tears "I thought it would never happen ...."
The only thing preventing this accident waiting to happen is your belief in the odds being in your favour.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.