Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Our vet has diagnosed our kitten with FHV or Chlamydia... any advice please?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by jenny-bean, Jul 13, 2020.

1. jenny-bean

jenny-bean PetForums Newbie

We have 2 gorgeous siberian sisters who are just over 4 months old. We got them from a TICA registered breeder at the end of May when they were 12 weeks old. They were both up to date with vaccinations at 8 and 12 weeks.
    One of them has had a watery eye (clear discharge) since we got her and looking back more closely at photos from the breeder, a few weeks before then too - possibly before her first set of vaccinations. We asked the breeder about it when we got home and he said he hadn't noticed anything was wrong. I find that a little hard to believe, but we'll give him the benefit of the doubt!
    Anyway, at our first trip to the vet with her in the early June we were given Isathal eye drops and told to administer twice a day, which we did, as well as bathing her eye with a cotton pad in warm water. Almost 3 weeks on and her eye wasn't improving so we took her to the vets again. This time a different vet examined her and we were told she could either have chlamydia or herpes, he wasn't sure which, but initially the treatment would be the same - 20mg Ronaxan daily up until she reaches 2kg weight and then the prescription would change. He also said to monitor her sister in case she started displaying similar symptoms, in which case they would need to be treated simultaneously. All sound advice from what I can gather having read up about it.
    So we're now 2 weeks into the antibiotics (still bathing her eye a couple of times a day) and can't really see any improvement in her eye, it still seems just as watery. Other than her watery eye, which thankfully doesn't actually seem to bother her, she is completely healthy - loving, playful, energetic and generally amazing! She occasionally has a tiny amount of dark dried snot in her nostrils, but I wouldn't say it's anything out of the ordinary.
    I'm just wondering whether we should've seen any improvement from the antibiotics yet or if it's just going to be really hard to shift and will take a few more weeks? Has anyone else been through a similar thing with their kitten?
    Any advice would be very much appreciated!
    Thank you so much.

2. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

I am a long term breeder (of a different breed) and have treated a litter of six and their mum for chlamydia about 6 years ago.

Ronaxan is highly effective for chlamydia but treatment can take 6 weeks. However, I would have expected to see *some* improvement by now.

In my humble, non veterinary opinion, I think you have a few different possible things to consider...

- that it is FHV (herpesvirus)
    - that it is Chlamydia but needs longer treatment
    - that it is FCV (calicivirus)
    - that it is none of the above

All three are highly contagious. If you had regular photos of the kittens and her sibling looked perfectly okay then it is less likely to be FHV/FCV. It would be even less likely that one would have chlamydia and not the other; it is extremely contagious and will invariably affect a whole litter even if not all at exactly the same time, a few weeks apart.

You mention crusty bits under the kitten's nostril. If her eye has never looked sore, slightly closed and the discharge has always been clear/watery, then it's very possibly an impeded tear duct. That would account for no visible signs of infection, her sibling being well, and the Ronaxan apparently not working

#2 gskinner123, Jul 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  3. jenny-bean

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate your advice. I know that on both visits to the vet she had the fluorescent dye in her eye and around her nose when she came out, so I assumed they had checked for any foreign bodies/ulcerations and the tear duct working, but I will double check that was the case when I call up to get the next lot of antibiotics tomorrow. I'll let you know how I get on! Thanks again :)

gskinner123 likes this.
  4. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

If the dye managed to get from the eye to the nose the tear ducts are working. The dye also lets them check for any ulcers. The definitive test for chlamydia is taking a swab and sending it away for testing, suspect it might be the same for FHV.

jenny-bean likes this.
  5. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

I wouldn't suspect the duct to be blocked but it could be impeded which can cause overspill of tears and sometimes a slightly irritated looking eye.

With a fairly short nosed breed such as mine, it's something my vet has checked for me several times over the years - when there's one watery eye, dye in both eyes to check the flow rate/amount out of each nostril.

The duct(s) are rarely completely blocked, but can be impeded.

jenny-bean likes this.
  6. jenny-bean

Thank you so much for your help everyone! I got a call back from the vet this morning (the first one we saw) and she's advised not to extend the course of Ronaxan for now as we're not seeing any obvious improvement and she doesn't really have any other expected symptoms. She's going to give her another check-up on Friday, and then depending on how that goes we can then make the decision whether to have a swab test for chlamydia and herpes. I'll let you know things progress, and thanks again!

gskinner123 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice