Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Our Puppy Bit Another Puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Emlar, May 4, 2021.

1. Emlar

Emlar PetForums Member

Today while we were playing ball in a field another puppy ran over to play. All was fine until this other puppy had the ball and didn't want to give it back. Our puppy then snarled and bit him on the back, which he has never done to another dog before even when toys are involved. We apologised profusely to the owner, and she checked her puppy over and there were no marks or broken skin. We took the ball away and they then played happily.

Our pup is 6 months old, definitely becoming an obnoxious teenager and has decided that biting is a good way to get what he wants. (Has occasionally gone for us in the house if he thinks we are trying to take something off him) Obviously now in the future we will remove the ball if another dog comes over as I suspect this was the trigger as he is ball obsessed. I just wanted to check that this isn't something we need to work on or can help him with in anyway?

Thank you!

2. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

I’m not massively experienced but it sounds like he may be developing some resource guarding behaviour? There’s a good sticky on resource guarding, it might be worth reading. A lot of it is management and swapping items rather than taking them off him.

Tbh though, I wouldn’t allow my dog to go and take another dogs ball as you never know how they’re going to react. I would do as you said though to manage it, remove the ball if another dog comes along.

Just to add, I don’t know how much ball you play with your pup but be careful not to do too much ball throwing and fetch while he’s so young. The quick stopping, tight turns etc that happen when a dog is chasing a ball have been shown to cause arthritis as it puts strain on their growing joints.

3. Emlar

Emlar PetForums Member

Yeah, we do think he is starting to show signs of resource guarding. I have a couple of bruises from where he's bitten me recently, definitely not a play nip. I will read the thread, and we are still trying to teach a drop and leave.

From this forum I have learnt not to let him run over to random dogs, and he's getting good at ignoring them or coming when called, but hard when others do differently! He's been really good playing with other pups, so this startled us a little bit. But I suppose we should have been more aware that he might resource guard his ball from other dogs.

How much is too much? Hard to say I suppose! He doesn't play with a ball every day.

4. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

Oh no, what situations is he biting you in? If you need to take something off him then you can try swapping the item with a high value treat or item.

oh yes many people on the forum will tell you they have problems with space invaders! I wasn’t saying you were in the wrong, obviously it’s not great he nipped but the other dog shouldn’t have been allowed to take his ball (in my opinion). I walk dogs who I know will try and take balls and I always put them on lead when I see someone with a ball.

it is hard to say but sessions should be kept short, try not to do repetitive throws over and over, take breaks and do other things inbetween. If he likes chasing then you could try and change it up a bit by throwing or rolling the ball and then releasing him to go retrieve it. That puts less strain on the joints. You can play hiding games etc too :)

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. Emlar

Emlar PetForums Member

For example, we were trying to introduce a dremmel for his claws and our trainer suggested a lickimat with peanut butter on. In hindsight this may have been an error :rolleyes: he went for my other half when his hand got too close to the lickimat as he thought he was going to take it away. So then I did take it away and we didnt want him to have it if it was going to wind him up, so he bit me. Probably my fault really and we learnt our lesson! Also bit me today when I was brushing him and hit a snag (he doesn't like being brushed at the best of times). Not sure how to teach him other ways of telling us to stop than biting!

And yeah, I think we have to be aware of other dogs and make sure the ball goes away if they come over. I think we were both just a bit shocked as hes never gone for another dog before, but lesson learned!

Thanks for the game ideas, will try those out :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice