Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Our puppy arrives next friday

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by rosc99, Jul 2, 2009.

1. rosc99

rosc99 PetForums Junior

.... we cant wait..... the house is excited.... and thats just me and the wife , god knows how the kids feel.

I have read about this crate training. It seems to be a good idea. I would be gratful for some good tips on crate training...or....do you think its a bad thing to do. I must admit to being a little dubious at first , but all I read seems to be saying " It's a good thing " and the dogs love it

2. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

what breed are you getting

3. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

It depends how you use it and if it suits all of you. I have one dog that is crate trained, he came to me that way and as much as i didnt think he needed it, HE wanted it as it was what he had known, 9 times out of ten he will tell me when his bed time is, usually around eight oclock and that is when i say, is it bed time> and he begs and begs until i open the door and he runs to his crate. He is a funny little thing, a creature of habit, only occasionally he will want to stay with the others in the kitchen but he likes his own space away from the girlies and now pups lol.

4. rosc99

rosc99 PetForums Junior

Jack Russell...... short haired and short legged..... I suppose the corect term would be miniture.
    We did all the right things

Went to see the pup a few times
    Seen it with the mother and father
    The mother and father seem to be very healthy dogs..... with a great temperment

5. rosc99

rosc99 PetForums Junior

This is what we are aiming for..... We have got the pup at the start of the kids 6 weeks holidays.... so it wont be left alone for a while.... but when school starts again , he will be on his own for 4 hours 9 to 12 .... thats not an excessive amount of time. I want him crate trained.... and more inportantly , happy with his new home be then

6. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

how sweet good luck with your new pup, lots of photos plz

7. rosc99

rosc99 PetForums Junior

will do.... and thanks

8. Classyellie

Classyellie PetForums VIP

Awww good luck with your new pup.

There are lots of differing views on crate training - it's really something only you can decide. I have a 6 year old dog who wasn't crate trained and I also have an eight week old pup who I am crate training! Pippa has settled into her crate really well already.

9. bichonsrus

Jack russels are pretty clever dogs, im sure he would be fine, good luck. I did try to get my female bichon used to crateing she never did and chewed through every crate we got lol even through metal stair gates, in the end we moved and my daughter let her sleep on her bed :mad: she was happier though lol. Then we got the rescue dog, we tried them together in a big crate she managed to undo the lock!! so then took her out and left him in.................she would let him out :mad: im telling you she aint for turning lol.

10. bichonsrus

did i mention that if the crate is left open in the day time, my girl goes and sleeps in there and her daughter sleeps ontop of her lol, they make me laugh so much!

11. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

Awhh i love Jack russels, but i would like a parsons, dunno why :rolleyes:
    Lots of pics remember!"
    xx

12. reddogs

reddogs PetForums Senior

Remember to teach your puppy that it can be left alone during the holidays. I know you'll want to be with it all the time but don't just suddenly leave it on the first day of the new term, build up time whilst you have the time (if that makes sense)

13. boxerlife

boxerlife PetForums Junior

4 hours seems a long time for a dog to be shut in crate. I have read that they should be only shut in for a maximum of 2 hours. Im also getting a new pup soon and will be crate training, when I go out for a few hours I will leave the crate open but confine crate to one room.
    Good luck with your new addition!!! :)

14. rosc99

rosc99 PetForums Junior

Our pup has managed just fine.... 4 hours seem a long time, but there has been no soiling of his crate, and he still goes in by himself ( so he certainly doesen't view it as a bad place ). It has become as the experts say.... his own place...he loves it

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice