Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

our poor buns

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by frags, Jun 29, 2009.

1. frags

frags PetForums VIP

how will they cope with the weather thats expected? my summer house is stupidly hot and the buns are all laying stretched out on the tiled floor but im worried about them over heating!!

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Do you have outdoor runs for them?

3. frags

frags PetForums VIP

yes i have 1 besides the house a long self built 1, a proper rabbit run and also have the free run of the garden so can have all 3 out but im just a worrier lol

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I know how that is :)

My rabbits have free range, so find a cool place. Currently thats about 2 foot underground. Although they seem to be coping quite well, and are being sensible enough to stay out of the sun and lie in the shade. I also make sure they have 4-5 water bowls dotted around the garden so that when the sun moves there is always one in the shade. I put ice-cubes in them throughout the day so the water is never warm.

My guineas are in runs on my patio. Ive covered them with pale coloured sheets and blankets so they are shaded, and i have some heat reflective blankets on order. I leave the sides open for ventilation, but i make sure they are never in direct sunlight.

I find sheds/wooden buildings do get really hot in this weather. If i feel its too hot outside, ill put the runs in my garage which is a good 10degrees lower than outside.

5. celicababe1986

celicababe1986 PetForums VIP

I freeze 2 litre bottles of water then wrap a sheet of newspaper (or something similar) around them. Leave them dotted about and the buns will lay against them to cool off.
    Just another idea :rolleyes:

6. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

I found a nice treat mine like to cool then down is fruit flavoured ice cubes. I use ribena really well diluted so its not too strong and give them a couple throughout the day. I've also got plenty on shady plants in the garden which they like to hide under and these get watered early in the morning so that damp thats still in them keepts under the plant cool most of the day. I put a wet towel or similar draped over the garden chairs too which they like laying under to stay cool.

7. Lisa Franklin

Lisa Franklin PetForums Junior

Pets at home are selling these really good frizby shaped things.

Like I say they are in the shape of a frizby and filled with water / liquid you stick them in the freezer and it all ices up inside.

Because they are flat they can lay on top of them to cool down.

They seem to stay cold for a long time too.

8. toddy

toddy PetForums Senior

I use frozen bottles and they love laying near these.
    I never have mine indoors in this heat as it is more a risk for flystrike and I have a brick built unit for them so it is cool in there.
    I leave mine out 24/7 with a cover over them to give them permanent shade and make sure they have plenty of water and give the the bottles of frozen water to lay against and they cope fine.

9. Rachh

Rachh PetForums Senior

My house bun is in the hallway which is constantly cold, the outdoors are in the shade constantly and the garage buns are in the runs on the slabs so its cool and shaded

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice