Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Our mating postponed

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by sallyanne, Jan 12, 2008.

1. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

We had plans to mate our bitch next season,but the timing isn't quite right unfortunatly.She's due in season next month.My son is booked in for his op on the 25th of next month for another Palate repair.

Unfortunate but these things happen,but it has to be the right time and we feel that it isn't the bset possible time to mate her,a summer litter would have been nice but never mind,she's two yrs old in June so we still have plenty of time.

2. Brainless

Brainless Guest

My bitch has missed (hate letting so many people down), and a February litter would have been ideal for me, plenty of time for her to recover and still have some of the show season left (they aren't back in coat until about five months after a litter).

I like Winter litters as less disruptive to neighbours, shorter daylight hours, people have windows shut so aren't going to be disturbed by noisy pups etc.

Really would rather not have an early August litter as if it is hot pups can get very distressed, far easier keeping them warm than cooling them down. They also tend to sleep through the heat of the day and are awake at 4am!

If I left it until the season after that she would be 5 1/2 and the dog would be 9. Also by then I would be looking at proving her daughter who would be over two, and this litter will partly decide on the direction I wish to go with her.

Best laid plans of mice and men.

3. BredaKim

BredaKim PetForums Member

We missed with Meg too, we were going for summer pups and had to take her over to the stud on boxing day:eek: she missed...think my calculations were slightly off. we tried again in June and she caught and I have to say it worked out better, she had her pups in Sept...and like you say Brainless, dark nights, dark mornings, made all the difference. Also as we kept ours in the conservatory, just off the lounge, my one concern for summer pups would be that they would get far too hot! Didn't have a problem in September as it was cold out and the conservatory was easily heated to the right temp for them. Think I would definately go for winter pups if I tried again.

Breda

4. Brainless

Brainless Guest

In your average domestic setting winter litters are less stressful, more work if you get a lot of rain from when they are 4 weeks plus, but still prefer winter months.

Also the main shows are in Summer.

5. Debbie

Debbie PetForums VIP

Such a shame Sally but there will be another time - Your son has to come first :)
    Winter pups are easier in the house but harder in the garden etc....Summer pups are harder in the house but easier in the garden......Swings and roundabouts really :)

6. Brainless

Brainless Guest

Now I like that saying :D

7. englishrose943

englishrose943 PetForums VIP

Sally, your son comes first obviously. Not to worry good luck next time:D

8. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Thanks but she's been spayed unfortunatly,she developed Pyometra :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice