Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Our Hamster passed and we are blaming ourselves...

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by CtrlALlTerrorS, Jun 16, 2019.

1. CtrlALlTerrorS

CtrlALlTerrorS PetForums Newbie

Hi, sadly we lost our beloved hamster Theodore this weekend after he was ill for some time. He seemed lethargic and his breathing had become laboured as well as faster heart rate. He was unable to use his wheel and would fall over when walking. We spent the day with him giving him very tiny pieces of his favourite food and keeping him warm with a blanket but are scared that after he hadn't drank for some time we used a pippet to give him three to five tiny droplets of water in his already weakened state. I would say less than a quarter of a mil. We just measured the maximum amount of water and it was about a less than a quarter of a teaspoon including antibiotics we had been given. At one point pushing the pippet away. He was fine after this for some time, lay on my lap as I stroked his head but was too weak to move as he had been for awhile and was inert just looking at me sadly for some time. We took him back to his cage and when we placed him inside he gasped three times, his eyes bulged and he passed away with us. We are now both blaming ourselves for this even though he had clearly been unwell a long time (up to a week) and his quality of life was pretty much none existent as he now seemed unable to move. We are both devastated, did we do something wrong? We are torturing ourselves now that we are responsible and it has been a day of severe upset since his burial and we miss him so much.

Gigi2 likes this.
  2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

You didn't do anything wrong at all. His death was not your fault.

You did your very best for him, but sadly, we can't fight nature.

It's natural to feel some guilt when an animal dies and to question yourself, but you really have no need.

Gigi2 likes this.
  3. Gigi2

Gigi2 PetForums Newbie

Bless you!
    Please don't blame yourself.. Just the fact that you posted this tells me how much love you have for Theodore but unfortunately these things happen still in no shape or form should you blame yourself.
    I hope you can find peace and remember the good times you had with Theodore.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice