Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Our girl is expecting pups - how will her sister react?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by tomorrows, Apr 20, 2011.

1. tomorrows

tomorrows PetForums Newbie

Hi there

We have two dogs (very close, litter sisters) aged 4. One is 6 weeks pregnant. Does anyone have experience of how a second dog will react to a pregnancy? They are close, but we are prepared to keep them apart if necessary. Have no idea if sister of pregnant bitch will be accommodating or hostile. ery grateful for any advice.

2. Devil-Dogz

Devil-Dogz PetForums VIP

Its best to keep them seperate while the mum to be is whelping, and not let sister near puppies until eyes are opened and their moving around - and even then only when you are around. no two dogs will react the same. Its best just to keep mum to be stress free!
    Mum to be is 6 weeks gone now, so by rights should have a quiet, settled part of the house that she can go to if she so wishes, to get away from sister and any think else.

Aurelia likes this.
  3. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

To add to what DD said ... am I right in thinking this is her first pregnancy at the age of 4? :eek: I hope you have your vet on speed dial and a cool £1000+ saved ready for a possible emergency c-section!

4. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

yes to all what DD has said , she needs peace and quiet to prepare for the birth of her pups.They may not be so close when she's had the pups as some bitches become very protective of their pups.

5. Spellweaver

Spellweaver PetForums VIP

Agree with DD and the others. Once the puppies' eyes are open, it will depend upon the personalities of both of your bitches as to what you think is the best thing to do.

Years ago when our cocker spaniel bich had her litter, she was totally happy for our other bitch to do the mothering for her.

When Evie had her litter a couple of years ago, we had two other bitches in the house. Gabby was desparate to get into the pen with the puppies and mother them, but could only do it when Evie went outside to relieve herself because Evie would make her get out of the pen once she came back. And Calli spent the whole eight weeks peering suspiciously around corners at the puppies and running away if they came near her.

6. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Some breed clubs have in their constitution that they will not be bred from before the age of 3, due to the fact that some health problems do not rear their ugly head until a little later ;)

One of my breeds epilepsy doesnt rear its ugly head until they are a little older, so to try to cut down on the occurrence we dont breed from a bitch until what is deemed a 'safe' age, until they find the DNA for this we are trying to do the best we can for our breed.

7. Devil-Dogz

Devil-Dogz PetForums VIP

It would depend on the breed - but is always best to have a vet on stand by :)

8. vizzy24

vizzy24 PetForums VIP

That I would say is the latest for a first litter,it does depend on the breed but its not too late especially if its a large breed

9. casandra

casandra PetForums VIP

Having litter sisters, I hope you aren't planning to breed from the other sister. The bitch who whelps first will be considered something akin to the "alpha bitch" in the home. This can cause the lesser bitch to feel uneasy having a litter in the presence of the alpha bitch. It can also lead to fights between previously sane and loving siblings.

My advice is same as above, have a vet on standby, stay with the bitch for whelping, and keep them separated for a few weeks.

10. tomorrows

tomorrows PetForums Newbie

Thank you to everyone for all your advice. We have a separate room for whelping and luckily enough space that we can be very careful how and when they cross paths. Have taken note to keep them apart until the pups eyes are open - and possibly longer depending on their behaviour.

She is an English pointer - we have no plans for any further breeding from either dog.

11. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

keep us posted to how it goes, we would love to hear all about the pups when they arrive,:) and if you need any advise then just ask on here, usually someone can help,:)

12. vizzy24

vizzy24 PetForums VIP

:Dooooh i love English pointers:D good luck I cant wait to see pics

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice