UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

561 - 580 of 617 Posts

·
Premium Member
29,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #561 · (Edited)
@Arny the roses are gorgeous colours :)

Is that a young blackbird?

We raised a couple that we took off some boys who had taken a nest out of a tree :punch

A male and female … still with yellow on their beaks.

The local kids helped by digging up worms and we fed them using round ended tweezers.

They flourished, thankfully, and learned to fly in our living room.

They "flew the nest" gradually into the safety of our garden with access to a shed and eventually gained full independence.

·
Premium Member
29,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #562 ·
The poor Solanum has taken another five to the floor :(

It's curly stem (from growing through a trellis … bad move on my part) just isn't sturdy enough to support the heavy foliage and flowers, even supported.

I shall have to take the loppers to it low down and try to get it growing straight.

I have some cuttings from last year and will take a few more too. Such a good plant though. The flowers are a lovely blue :)

Plant Botany Flower Tree Grass

·
Registered
118 Posts

·
Still missing my boys
42,311 Posts
I have a hypericum in the front garden which is overgrown, I trimmed it a bit in Spring but it needs taming!

For @rona a little deer that was very happy munching on my nettles on the wild side of the garden :)
View attachment 494573
Must have caused a little excitement. As long as it only eats Nettles and grass :D
Deer is one thing I do not get in my garden.

This is a game changer, I can grow melons & cucumbers & have somewhere to put the grape vine my next door neighbour gave me last year.
My greenhouse is my favourite bit of the garden. :)

Cut 5 Cucumbers so far............I wonder if I'll beat last year record crop of 63 from one plant

Looking promising :)
Another 6 this week.............that's 11 already :Wideyed

Started picking my tomatoes, though buying in for my salads still because my tomatoes don't get out of the greenhouse before I've eaten them :oops:

·
Look into my eyes....
17,612 Posts
Don’t get deer in the garden although I have seen and heard muntjac in the fields at the back. We do however, get deer on our caravan pitch as it’s by woodland. The muntjac are becoming almost tame and not bothering to run off if they see you, there is a three legged one apparently although I’ve not seen it. Have had red deer on occasions. I saw another type of deer once which I couldn’t readily identify but I think could have been Chinese water deer as their number are beginning to increase in Suffolk

Reactions: GingerNinja

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
@Arny the roses are gorgeous colours :)
Thank you. For the first time ever I put some fertiliser down and I think its really added to the colour.
Is that a young blackbird?

We raised a couple that we took off some boys who had taken a nest out of a tree :punch
I thought it might be a robin but I'm not great on the baby birds.
It was certainly following me around like one!
That must have been a lovely experience although I'm sure you you would have preferred not to have had to.

·
Premium Member
29,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #568 ·
Thank you. For the first time ever I put some fertiliser down and I think its really added to the colour.

I thought it might be a robin but I'm not great on the baby birds.
It was certainly following me around like one!
That must have been a lovely experience although I'm sure you you would have preferred not to have had to.
Oh right … couldn't tell the size :)

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
So the blue eventually appeared for my Jubilee pots at the front of the house.

View attachment 494793

Two were this size by the front door and then there are two smaller ones with just one red and one white pelargonium in there with the lobelia.
Worth the wait :)

It seems a good year for our roses.
This one has been in a relatively small pot for years. Doing better now it's not squished near the holly hedge.
Flower Plant Botany Leaf Petal

·
Human mother to Oscar
12,813 Posts
So the hebe has flowers - I cut back all the spindly growth at the bottom, not sure if I was meant to or not but it seems happy enough. This is the one that didn't flower the first couple of years it was here.

Flower Plant Purple Tree Petal

My much loved hypericum. I know @QOTN isn't a fan of them but there's something about the details of their little flowers that I just love. The one to the right of it which is much taller is a bit behind.

Flower Plant Petal Herbaceous plant Tree

My everlasting sweet pea appears to be absolutely blind. It's growing like mad but not a sign of a flower. I suspect the place I planted it was not the best place for it. Not enough sunshine. I'm still toying with getting rid of the Photinia so I might put it there instead, if it will cope with a transplant. I think it seems pretty tough to be fair!

·
Premium Member
29,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #573 ·
Flower Plant Petal Botany Branch

Climbing rose … gorgeous scent. Need to find a way to support and train it properly.

Flower Plant Botany Petal Groundcover

Good old Feverfew

Flower Plant Petal Herbaceous plant Flowering plant

Vivid pink Lychnis

Flower Plant Green Botany Petal

Salvia Hot Lips

Flower Plant Purple Leaf Petal

Veronica with a Poppy and Lamium.. good colour co-ord :)

Flower Plant Green Petal Botany

Pinky/Peachy rose (another bargain bucket find) with hardy geranium Johnson Blue (I think)

·
Look into my eyes....
17,612 Posts
Hahahahaaa! It still is offensive, no matter how I try to type it.

H
E
B
E

:)
How on Earth is that offensive, it’s a name of a plant, unless it’s yet another innocuous word that’s been pinched and become something offensive

Reactions: Mrs Funkin

·
Premium Member
29,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #580 ·
I do like the colour of the Veronica in your picture with the poppy @Lurcherlad
The Poppy is self seeded … nature knows what she’s doing 😉

I should buy more Veronica … so attractive and pretty hardy. They don’t seem phased in my crowded borders… some other tall plants (Echinacea for one) can’t cope with such conditions and don’t come back.

561 - 580 of 617 Posts