Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Our Gardens 2021

Discussion in 'Gardening Advice' started by Lurcherlad, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Starting a fresh thread for this year :)

My first task will be buying some compost so I can start planting the vast selection of free seeds in my possession.

I have far too many, so if anyone is interested in being sent a few packets, just pm me. I’m happy to post them on.

ewelsh, westie~ma and Dave S like this.
  2. Dave S

Dave S Cosy Corner Collies

Garden advise for 2021.
    Do not buy Kitchen Garden magazine because you will have so many free seeds that you will end up planting too much and giving lots away because it all grew.
    I also need to buy compost and manure and get my veg beds ready.
    Lots of plants to get planted so its going to be a good year.

westie~ma and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

Hello *waves* :D
    Thanks for starting a new thread @Lurcherlad and I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's gardens through the year.

The garden centres are shut here due to Welsh government lockdown policy but there are places to get things ;) so I've bought a few bags of compost in case garden centres remain closed and there is a rush in March, ever the prepper :Bag

Have planted up some pots with daffs and other bulbs I found on my way into the supermarkets. Not sure what will happen but can see some trying to push through already.

It's been dreadful weather here, incredibly wet for what seems like months. Had a few days of dry last week so did some tidying up of my beds.

Have decided that I'm going to make them slightly bigger so its easier for me to mow and plant some annuals.

I'm debating whether or not to cut the top off my conifers, got four big ones and don't want them getting any bigger. Really I want them gone but they do give us some privacy so topping them could be a compromise.

4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Just be aware @westie~ma that if you cut the tops off conifers they sometimes get fatter. That happened with my neighbour’s and she ended up taking it out completely because it got so wide. If you’ve kept them well trimmed you might get away with it though.

I picked up a small bag of seed compost in Wilko yesterday when I stocked up on bird food, so I can get started on seed sowing now :)

Roll on Spring! :)

5. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

@Lurcherlad Thanks for the heads up.

I don't want them getting any bigger, any suggestions?

6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

If you’ve kept them well trimmed and compact so far, then with continued copious trimming (without cutting into dead wood) you should be able to keep them contained.

Nothing to lose from trying ... you can take them out if it doesn’t work but that’s not cheap so if you can avoid it, all the better and you won’t lose the screening.

I have a slow growing one which won’t grow too tall (now about 12 foot) that I’m considering tackling at the bottom to take out the scruffy stuff and expose and streamline the lower branches, allowing more light into the flower bed around it and opening the area up.

westie~ma likes this.
  7. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Have bought my sick friend a window propagator, he's a very keen gardener, but can no longer do much. Hopefully, he'll grow and prick out seedlings and I'll be eating veg that he grew.
    Just hoping he makes the spring, his favourite season. Hope he sees the first frog in the pond we dug, and the annuals I mixed into the wildflower lawn :)

It really needs to be an early spring this year

westie~ma, Ellie&cats and Lurcherlad like this.
  8. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

Thanks xx
    We moved here end of 2019 so haven't really touched them. They are tall, at least 12 feet if not more. Three are in the left border, was thinking of doing the same as you taking the lower stuff away for more light and then tidy up the top.

The biggest one is also the widest and I have trimmed back the side by my path as I couldn't get past without it rubbing against me and getting all wet.

Dh bought hedge trimmers last year so I could have a go with them to tidy the tops. A battery one so not too heavy. Is that what you use on yours?

That's very thoughtful of you @rona

rona likes this.
  9. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Where mine is (in the corner of a boarder out of the way) and the type it is it hasn’t need trimming at all, thankfully.

westie~ma likes this.
  10. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

Lucky you :D

Have you got around to doing your seeds yet? I have sweet peas to sow but its been so wet here that I've not been able to use my potting shed.

11. Dave S

Does anyone here have a poly tunnel instead of a greenhouse and are they any good.
    Looking for ideas as I don't want the house taken up with seed trays.

12. Dave S

When we moved here into Cosy Corner there were quite a few conifers in the garden, both tall and quite deep and extending about 80 feet.
    It took a couple of years to get rid of them all with plenty of trips to the dump and it made my garden much bigger and brighter.
    Really cannot stand them as they also dry out the earth and smell awful.

13. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Not yet. Warming the compost up a little in the conservatory and might get sowing some things next week.

I will set them up on a plastic sheet on the long sideboard in there.

westie~ma likes this.
  14. GingerNinja

GingerNinja PetForums VIP

My new garden is quite barren, plant wise, so will be looking to get some shrubs that do well in an East,/North facing border, if anyone has any suggestions :)

I also have some sort of climbing plant over my oil tank whichi will get pics of. It has some sort of fruit on it and I don't know if I should cut out back hard for new growth in the spring

15. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I would hold off pruning the climber until you know what it is as some flower on last year’s growth so you might just expose the oil tank.

I have Rhododendron, euonymus, pyracantha, chamonoles, skimmia and pieris as shrubs who all do well north and east facing and are evergreen and mostly flowering, some with berries.

There are a wide variety of conifers that are attractive, but ensure they are slow growing, compact or dwarf.

Heucheras, Bergenia, lots of bulbs will grow well there too and some climbers as well as roses. Pansies and violas give colour.

GingerNinja likes this.
  16. GingerNinja

GingerNinja PetForums VIP

The climber looks pretty dead at the top! Pics below and of the East facing border. Lovely Holly tree which I hope won't get to big. PXL_20210123_095239898~2.jpg PXL_20210123_095250918~2.jpg PXL_20210123_095319283~2.jpg

17. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

That looks like a passion flower to me. They can be very rampant when happy. I am not sure about pruning because I have never had one.

GingerNinja and Lurcherlad like this.
  18. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Defo Passion flower. I wouldn’t prune just now but wait and see .... it could be covered in new shoots very soon and be a good covering for the oil tank.

This from rhs website:

DA513898-9966-4454-A690-3F197169D07C.png

Or you could bite the bullet, forego the full cover this year and hope it grows back fast

GingerNinja likes this.
  19. Mrs Funkin

Mrs Funkin Human mother to Oscar

I miss daffodils and narcissi - but since the arrival of Oscar, we can''t have them, so I've taken them all out (he is a terrible nibbler of plants!). I don't know what we will do this year in the garden, I'm waiting to see what decides to be okay after all the storms we've had. Our clematis over the cherry tree is looking sad (well, both are). They take the brunt of the Southerly winds now that the leylandii are no longer there, I'll be sad if they have to go. The palms we transplanted from planters at the front of the house into the back garden seem to be doing okay and I'm hoping the hoherias that we planted last year to replace the leylandii do well this year (they are growing quite happily so far but I can't wait to see if they flower). I am also hoping that the callistemon do better this year than last year, they were rather poor.

The only flowers I currently have are violas planted in pots - only one post has done well, the rest have barely done anything. No idea why. Really I'd like to plant some little spring flowers in them (like narcissi, dwarf tulips etc.) but don't think I can run the risk.

Looking forward to seeing everyone's gardens as the year goes by :)

20. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Violas and pansies will be checked by extreme cold or wind, so maybe one has slightly more shelter than the other?

It could be one has better drainage so the roots aren’t sitting in cold water?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice