Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Our gardens 2019

Discussion in 'Gardening Advice' started by Charity, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Don't suppose you paid by Paypal did you? Don't they have a complaint system?

ewelsh and Lurcherlad like this.
  2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Just been on their website and according to their returns policy you are entitled to a refund.

Go on and read it through then quote it back to them and tell them you are returning the “plant”.

Back it up with the correct wording from the Sale of Goods Act which will also be online.

ewelsh likes this.
  3. WillowT

WillowT PetForums VIP

So I have been absent for a while. Life got in the way. Unfortunately I suffered a miscarriage 3 weeks ago at 12 weeks. It’s been hard but my husband has been trying to get me in the garden. So we spent the last 2 days cleaning the greenhouse and I will sow some seeds. The rock garden is looking good and I have an acre to plant out. Will post photos in next 1-2 days.
    Enjoyed seeing all the photos of everyone’s gardens.

4. MissKittyKat

MissKittyKat ❤️ BSH, Silver Rules.....and Labs ❤️

Had my parents visit and got on with the gardening project that has been in my head for the last six months.
    IMG_20190411_162921__01.jpg IMG_20190411_162906__01.jpg
    Just waiting for the rope to arrive which will thread between the posts and then it's just a matter of letting the roses do their thing.

Still lots of fence to paint as well but really liking the grey.

Psygon, Charity, Lurcherlad and 3 others like this.
  5. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

So sorry for your loss, hope you and Mr W are doing OK.

I haven't even attempted to do anything with my garden yet. The back part is still wild for the hedgehogs and we have a pair making lots of mating noises at night so my OH feels very smug about insisting we keep an unruly area :rolleyes: I'm thinking about doing away with annuals in my pots this year apart from hanging baskets and changing over to lavender for the bees but haven't really made my mind up yet.

Charity and WillowT like this.
  6. WillowT

WillowT PetForums VIP

Thank you @rottiepointerhouse.
    I want to do some peppers, chillis, tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, spinach, aubergine, I did so much last year so will either sell if too many germinate or do a bit less.
    I am also going to do some tithonia ( Mexican sunflower) very beautiful and an annual that grows to about 6 ft tall and 5 ft wide. Great for the Bees. I did it in posts last year and it is stunning. I’m sure in the ground will be even better.

rottiepointerhouse likes this.
  7. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

I’m not able to leave a review, I’ve looked everywhere!

No I didn’t pay via PayPal silly me.

I did all you say actually and they said it’s alive and just dormant and point blank refused to refund me. All they could offer was to ring then in one month with pictures and they will review then.

I’ve never come across this before, it’s appalling.

8. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

I am so sorry for you loss @WillowT I have been in your shoes so I really do understand xxxx
    Try and get in your garden, it’s so healing and dig the biggest ruddy hole you can, you might not need that hole but my goodness it gets the hurt, pain frustration, why me out of you.
    Big big hugs my lovely xxxx

WillowT likes this.
  9. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Loving this, I might pinch your idea of posts for roses thank you. Your garden is lovely.

10. MissKittyKat

MissKittyKat ❤️ BSH, Silver Rules.....and Labs ❤️

Thankyou.

The garden is coming along slowly, this is my third season in it and it's just starting to feel like mine.

The post idea really isn't mine and probably came from the many garden shows I watch!

I've had one of the roses tied to canes all winter so I could start getting the side shoots on the horizontal growth, looking forward to it flowering.

The other climber was bought at Hampton Court Flower Show last year so is a year or so away from being at its best.

I'm having to learn to be patient and watch the garden unfold.

ewelsh likes this.
  11. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Monti Dom covered climbing roses this week, always worth a watch.

This summer you will see a huge difference, I can see what it will look like. Well done

12. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Very sorry for your loss @WillowT :(

Getting stuck into the garden will be good for you both.

I know how you feel from personal experience and my garden keeps me sane ;)

ewelsh and WillowT like this.
  13. Charity

I'm so sorry @WillowT, I hope the garden is proving therapeutic for you. Looking forward to photos of your garden.

ewelsh and WillowT like this.
  14. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

I've got the same colour on my fence and my shed and is a good backdrop for shrubs :) It "weathers" really well ! My niece liked it so much she's used the same colour on her sheds !

15. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Today, humped 5 very heavy (bad shoulder ouch :() bags of decorative slate into my car for a task over the Easter weekend. Probably need double that.

Narrow flower beds to be lined with weed membrane and covered by slate to edge the drive.

Too narrow and shady for most plants to thrive so I’m looking at options for a bit of colour. Thinking saxifrage or heuchera will manage to survive there, planted through the membrane.

Also need to make a raised bed for under the window and plant the numerous plants I’ve been hoarding :)

ewelsh likes this.
  16. Charity

A dollop of Deep Heat for you tonight @Lurcherlad ;).

ewelsh and Lurcherlad like this.
  17. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

I spent yesterday TRYING being the operative word to get an over grown shrub out of a large terracotta pot :Yawn

I was this close to smashing the damn pot, never known anything so frustrating in my life! So now I’m obsessed with the shrub in its new position! Please survive and be happy, please please please!

Also does anyone have any tips for mice holes in the lawns, yes I’ve filled them, but how do I prevent the little blighters from digging a city under my lawn?

Charity likes this.
  18. Charity

We've got one like that. Haven't been able to get it out of the pot for love nor money, OH thinks he's going to have to take a saw to it to disentangle the roots. We are throwing it out so I cut it right down to soil level and now there's a new shoot coming out of it :mad:.

Sorry, can't help with the mice problem.

ewelsh likes this.
  19. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

@Charity I solved the problem by putting the pot on the side, hand pulling the soil out bit at a time, then rolling the pot to get the other sides soil out and so on for flipping ages. I had soil everywhere. If my pot wasn’t so expensive I would happily break it
    I know I have damaged a few roots so I am praying I haven’t killed it.

A saw came to my mind too, but then I remembered my underfloor heating cupboard upstairs where I lost my rag and totally hacked my way in! :D

Leave it till your in a fowl mood and let rip :D

Charity likes this.
  20. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Project one completed.....

CC653B80-1DD8-41AD-8C90-024C035D7541.jpeg 3936CAD0-8893-4558-A55C-41EAF465D52B.jpeg 8C673D09-70AF-430A-9FD2-50BBF7D7AD9B.jpeg

Will be laying grey slate along the side of the slabs to neaten the edges, like the other side.

37DA73DB-F266-44ED-886C-BF1DED94952E.jpeg

The Azalea in the left hand corner was found discarded over the back field - just about to flower :)

Hot shower and painkillers needed now!

:)

WillowT, raysmyheart, Squeeze and 3 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice