Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Our gardens 2019

Discussion in 'Gardening Advice' started by Charity, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

I really enjoyed this thread last year, looking at how everyone's lovely gardens progressed throughout the seasons so thought we should open a new one for this year.

We've been having a major overhaul in our gardens, front and back this last fortnight. We've had professional landscape gardeners in to do the back breaking work, through all weathers, mostly wet the first week which made the garden a mud pool. One day in particular it absolutely tipped down with rain all day but they valiantly worked on whilst getting exceedingly wet.

We've now got a lovely new, small rockery, which I planted up at the end of last week (first time I've gardened in winter in very cold weather :Jawdrop) and these little beauties have come out today. Lovely to see in these gloomy days of February.

IMG_9243.JPG

My main border, which had become a bit of a mess, last week looked like this with only a couple of roses and a hypericum left in.

IMG_8964.JPG

I kept a lot of my old plants from various parts of the garden and, this weekend, I've planted the border up with some of them and some daffodil bulbs so, hopefully, before long, things will start to grow.

IMG_9184.JPG
    I'm really pleased with how its turned out, its not Kew Gardens but its my own little patch and I look forward to seeing how it progresses when we get into spring and summer.:)

2. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

I've just started thinking about what to do with mine this year - although I love gardening I do have to have a gardener these days for the heavier jobs (osteoarthritis and heart problems) - he's due to start again after the winter break next month so his first visit will be a 'sit down' and discuss what we're going to do this year after we've had the initial spring weed and general tidy up. I know the lawn needs some major TLC as it's full of moss - so that'll be one of the first things. Then onto my tubs and containers (borders are mainly shrubs so fairly easy to maintain); and finally the shed/fences all need repainting this year and the back and front garden patio areas both need jet-washing - so plenty to keep me busy !

Just tried to download some photos from my camera but for some reason my pc is playing up this morning and misbehaving - will have another go later !

3. wind1

wind1 PetForums VIP

I love the garden thread every year, it's always interesting to see others gardens and what they do with them. I have been out doing a little bit in the sunshine today. Lots of these popping up everywhere.
    IMG_4386.JPG

Amanda Mower, Satori, Psygon and 11 others like this.
  4. Charity

Aren't they a cheery sight @wind1 :D
    Gardening is hard work, even just the planning. Its very satisfying when its done though.

I've spent two hours this afternoon planting some roses and acers in the new front garden. I used to be able to do it with ease years ago but now its back breaking. Hope I'm losing a few pounds...well ounces anyway.

Squeeze and FAW56 like this.
  5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I need to get out to do some tidying and cutting back before the birds start nesting.

I have quite a few pots of bulbs coming up so they will add a bit of colour on the terrace and can be seen from the house.

Many plants are starting to come alive again and showing new growth.

I need to build and plant up a raised bed at the front of the house that was stripped out completely at the end of last year.

The garden is looking very dull, scruffy and empty at the moment. I should take some “before” pics to remind me how bad it looks now compared to in the coming weeks. There’s always such a transformation.

Squeeze, FAW56 and Charity like this.
  6. Citruspips

Citruspips PetForums VIP

Got the propagater going for sweet peas (thank you @Charity my Secret Santa x) delphiniums and tomatoes
    415A8616-79ED-4800-9135-AC4F7015FE57.jpeg

Kale and old fashioned carnations for cutting are through.
    A2D7B165-F8F3-4386-AA78-2F389924E181.jpeg

I love the crocus and double snowdrops.
    I’ve found a clump of self sown double green tipped snowdrop so I’ve dug them up and replanted them somewhere safe. Plan is to clump them up then make my fortune lol
    3D1B06B2-AA7B-4A0F-A465-E73D83375CBE.jpeg 07536264-1734-47AB-AB68-16B96ECA1F0B.jpeg
    62B7834E-A05F-4066-8F18-8A046213C931.jpeg

Oh and then there’s the weeds
    FF3C9424-FED7-45F1-9CA7-E9FB3F2B1708.jpeg

7. Charity

Lovely snowdrops and I shall look forward to seeing your sweet peas @Citruspips. You're obviously a very hard worker, I'm too lazy and impatient to do seed sewing. :rolleyes:

TriTri likes this.
  8. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Can anyone recommend some small shrubs or perennials, to live in large pots, that slugs and snails don't eat?

9. Charity

Hebe, hydrangea, rubideckia, roses, escallonia are some I grow in pots or try some conifers

Jonescat and TriTri like this.
  10. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Rhododendrons
    Azaleas
    Camellias
    Hebe
    Cistus
    Heuchera
    Salvias
    Hydrangea
    Japanese Anemone
    Sedum

Jonescat and TriTri like this.
  11. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Thanks guys.

12. rona

rona Still missing my boys

ahem ........wildlife garden :D

Satori, Charity, TriTri and 3 others like this.
  13. Squeeze

Squeeze PetForums VIP

Ok... So we moved house December 2017...
    And the borders looked like this... The one along the top was worse... EB88699B-06F6-44B5-AE86-E434DC0EFB4A.jpeg

Spent most of last summer pulling weeds... If I don’t see any ivy or brambles for the rest of my life it’ll be too soon...!!
    Planted a few spring bulbs that have been sprouting the past few weeks...

92AAFC09-2D57-4CC5-A850-76F17DD5D630.jpeg

Been out today and planted some summer bulbs so hopefully this summer we’ll have a bit of colour...
    Grass is in desperate need of a cut but it’s just too damp at the moment...
    FC6BD968-3FE2-4EA0-962D-27073E20BA45.jpeg

14. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I envy your views! ;)

15. HarlequinCat

HarlequinCat PetForums VIP

Beautiful gardens!
    I'm rather a novice and last year made some pot plants. And obviously over winter they've all died. This seems an odd question but would I cut away all the dead stuff and see if anything grows again, or give the soil a good mix and plant some new seeds etc

16. Charity

It depends what plants are in the pots? A lot of perennials die above the surface but there's still life underneath and they will start shooting soon. If they are annuals, like geraniums, and you live in a coldish area of the UK, they are likely to die off so you will have to start again.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  17. HarlequinCat

HarlequinCat PetForums VIP

Ahh, I think one was a lobelia and another was a petunia? Petunias I guess are annuals looking it up. That's ok, be nice to have a change this year!

18. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

If a perennial Lobelia growth will be starting again now.

If an annual, like the Petunia, it won’t have survived.

I have some Pelargoniums and a Bizzie Lizzie still thriving indoors on sunny windowsill’s though :)

If wanting to keep pots going, I would choose an evergreen shrub and underplant with bulbs and use seasonal plants for colour.

The window boxes on my porch have a Heather centrally, ivy eitger side and I’ve just removed the cyclamen and pansies (trimmed up and pre-planted in the ground to come again next year, hopefully).

I’ve planted them up with white Bellis Perennis and Polyanthus.

528E7662-58C7-4D38-B0B3-D10F55E079E1.jpeg

When they go over, they’ll be planted in the ground and replaced with something else - whatever’s looking good in the garden centre at the time :)

In the flowerbeds I tend to choose hardy perennial shrubs and herbaceous plants, with a few evergreens (some flowering) and dot here and there some colourful annuals, taking care to choose single, bee friendly flowers.

I’ve a few tender perennials kept in the plastic greenhouse over winter which all seem to have survived and need pruning ready for the new growth to take off. They’ll be planted out when no threat of frost.

The spring bulbs I put in pots in autumn are all shooting up and some are already flowering.

Hardy annual seeds can be sown where they are to flower in the next couple of months.

I still have 20+ packets of varied seeds if anyone wants them?

19. Squeeze

Squeeze PetForums VIP

Sorry:oops:...
    We’re so lucky... Even on a day like today... 59B5E9FE-F16D-4818-98D2-0DBAD33A559D.jpeg

We get some cracking sunsets...
    06C91154-0927-4A45-9F7B-EE06A19A6DCC.jpeg

20. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Perennial Lobellia, just starting in growth
    47CF42A5-4CB5-4F84-B9BA-5A105E970F7B.jpeg
    I keep it in the margins of the pond otherwise it would be chomped by slugs and snails.

Some of the bulbs in pots
    C8E4524E-F6AC-4D66-BA9C-A2ACF256552A.jpeg
    They’re on the terrace close to the house so I can enjoy them.

This pot contains a Nandina which gives year round interest/colour planted with winter pansies at the moment. They’ll flower well now the temperature has risen a bit.
    B8B3C491-7C2A-4B2E-BB54-BA7E7C8F94CE.jpeg

This is one of the Pelargoniums - still flowering in the conservatory - which will go out with the others after the frosts.
    00C1B3DA-1DB4-4FF5-AFA3-4B35A7DF746C.jpeg

Need to tidy the pond as the frogs have started getting fruity - heard them croaking and singing last night - so we’ll soon have lots of frogspawn:)

(Excuse my home made anti heron device - made out of a polystyrene plant tray with canes in - to stop it from landing and eating the fish)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice