Our gardens 2018

Discussion in 'Gardening Advice' started by Lurcherlad, Apr 16, 2018 at 3:14 PM.

1. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Spent 4 1/2 hours out in the garden this morning.

Painted a section of tatty fencing and did some tidying and planting.

Before

E2DA67F4-E92E-419E-8D20-80BBD6451A04.jpeg

After

7F17FEAC-2116-4EE1-BC9C-9D3C92650643.jpeg

Excuse the pond - emergency measures after the Heron visited this morning :(

What projects have you got planned?

2. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum PetForums VIP

Well certainly the fence, shed, bench and anything else wooden (!) needs treating/painting; then the big bay tree'shrub needs cutting back. Thankfully I don't have to worry about the lawn as I have a gardener and a lawn treatment company who look after it for me (getting too old to keep pushing the mower up and down :rolleyes:). I also visited the garden centre yesterday so now have lots of bedding plants and a couple of new shrubs to plant out in my tubs that I emptied out last week.

I'm what is known in our family as a "fair weather" gardener - i.e. the sun has to be shining before I start working out there ! So hopefully, now that the weather finally looks like improving, I'll be out there weeding, dead heading etc.

Last year's display - all pots/containers emptied and waiting for new additions !

DSCF0549.JPG

DSCN0068.JPG

The patio was the last big project in October 2016 - so just maintenance required this year:)

3. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Commander of a tiny, furry army
    Staff Member

I've been out in my garden as well today, mostly digging over the veg garden & trying to work where I'm going to germinate things this year, as I no longer have space under the carport!

My daughter has inspired me to grow my carrots in loo roll tubes this year, & I'm hoping this stops them branching so much- the soil here is really stony!

I've also sorted through a load of rubble to get all the stones & nice bricks & tiles & built a temporary pile for a toad I disturbed, my ultimate goal is to make an attractive structure that's a combination amphibian shelter & bug house.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

I've just started tidying up. Weeded half of the front garden yesterday and scattered one bag of bee bombs so hoping to see some pretty wild flowers. My bum and legs are killing me from all the bending and squatting though so other half will have to wait until next week. Have ordered all my bedding plants so looking forward to planting those in a few weeks. We've got two sets of nesting blackbirds in the back garden so no more tidying up the bushes until they have gone.

kimthecat and Lurcherlad like this.
  5. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums Senior

Oh I'm so jealous of your gardens!!

OH and I moved into our house last year, and we did do some gardening in summer. We lawned a lot of it that was pebble and got up some concrete slabs that were just laid down the fence (not even a path not sure why they were there. And they were horrible slabs not nice ones!) and made a flowerbed where they were.

Unfortunately we have clay and, even though we did our very best to add sand and compost and grit when we put the lawn down and made the flowerbed, the wet winter has made a swamp out of some of it. It's only just dried up so might do some weeding this weekend.

I had visions of a lovely garden but I'm just a bit useless TBH! This is my first time having to look after a garden properly. I want the flowerbed to be a bit of a 'wild' area, we bought bee friendly plants (that probably need replacing now!) and made a little pond out of a big plant pot (with bricks in for animals to climb out and some plants - needs a clean out now). Want to get some wood from the local wood for other animals to make little homes out of and I always leave a section of grass to grow wild :)

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. rottiepointerhouse

Does anyone know what this shrub is called please? I cut it back quite hard a few weeks back and I'm not sure its going to recover so I want to look it up. The blackbirds are nesting about half way along which is mainly covered up with honeysuckle now.

[​IMG]

7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I’m sure I came across it while looking for something on the web but can’t remember, soz ;)

rottiepointerhouse likes this.
  8. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Been looking round garden seeing what’s springing into life:

FF9BC02E-6B81-4FFA-B5FB-9964CC33A1C6.jpeg
    Cherry

C0986AD7-D968-4159-8C9E-FC278BD550A7.jpeg
    Cardoon

EC029AE2-D034-4F50-9EFD-E46B3F7ED2D9.jpeg
    Honesty

344C908D-E6AF-4682-80A0-736635A7FEFC.jpeg
    Another new clematis

6D529E36-4C2D-4537-9EED-FDFA2CA8D0EF.jpeg
    Dicentra

E5A525AE-D52B-441A-8536-82DA1EEF3779.jpeg
    Bellis

9. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

Looks like a Ceanothus, none of the ones in my area are in bloom yet but I think you live in the south so possibly gets a little warmer than there? I used to have a lovely evergreen variety but although it was supposed to stay fairly compact it grew massive and I was forever hacking bits off the poor thing until it got rehomed, never seemed to do it much harm though.

10. rottiepointerhouse

Thank you. I don't think it is a Ceanothus unless its a variety I haven't seen before. Most of the houses around here have or had a Ceanothus in their front garden, I suspect planted by the developer 15 - 20 years ago. We had a lovely one but it died in 2010 I think when we had the long very cold winter. This one flowers from late April until about October.

11. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

The lawn and privet hedge looks tidy. I have honey suckle which has been in the garden for years .
    I moved the potted shrubs to the front garden as they attract bees ans Libby chases them . :(

12. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Could it be a Plumbago?

13. rottiepointerhouse

Possible but not sure. Have looked at a few on line but not convinced. I'm sure I had it in one of my gardening books years ago so will have to get them out and have a browse through.