Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Our First Puppy :) ?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by MommyB, Oct 7, 2020.

1. MommyB

MommyB PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone,

My first post so be gentle :):)

So we decided to get a puppy as its something we have always wanted and with current situation thought it would be the perfect time for our family as our son is 4 and just started reception and as I am now home after being made redundant and hubby is working at home. The enormity of it all is really hitting me! I appreciate everyone said it was like having another child but in reality its more than that. We got a King Charles Cavalier literally a few days ago and life has literally stopped. The nights havent been too bad to be fair. He wakes twice after he goes to bed for a pee and a poo and falls back asleep after about 30 mins. Before this, I had decided to launch my baking business and work from home whilst I looked for a job. I honestly thought that I could do this with a puppy as it would just run around or play. Starting a business involves a LOT of commitment which I am now realising I am not able to do with having a new puppy. There is far too much potential for cross contamination as our home does not have the space to put gates and have the pup in a separate part of the house whilst I bake and prepare goods. My husband has also realised that he cannot dedicate time during the day as he is busy with work. My son is at school all day and so this leaves me to handle the puppy which means I do not have the time to launch my business or do anything right now. I have not even had the energy to have a shower, thats how much it is like having a baby!!I regret getting the puppy massively and the magnitude of the commitment needed to have a puppy has hit us and we wonder whether we have got the timing wrong. With a 2nd lockdown on its way ( we have been given the heads up by school) the thought of trying to start and run a business, homeschool AND look after a puppy is too much. I also suffer from Fibromyalgia so this will all take a toll on my health when the original thinking was that it could be healing for my condition. Perhaps in a few years when our son is settled in school a little older so can help more, my business is established and hopefully in a bigger home? Yes its a bit of puppy blues but some is also being realistic and fair to the puppy as we have little time to dedicate right now. Any advice would be appreciated!

2. Kirsten Tanner

Kirsten Tanner PetForums Newbie

New puppies are hard work, they are like having babies. Just the nature of it unfortunately!
    It does get easier as they get older naturally.
    Only thing I can suggest, if you do decide to rehome him, please go through an adoption agency, they will ensure he goes to a great home!

Magic Waves likes this.
  3. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I would suggest you speak to his Breeder. She/he should be happy to take him back.

It is often better to admit you've made a mistake than to persevere when circumstances just aren't right.

Magic Waves and Kirsten Tanner like this.
  4. Magic Waves

Magic Waves PetForums Member

Hi @MommyB both Kirsten & Rafa have given excellent advice regarding your dog.

Yourself having health issues need to put priority first because you have a child and you've just had another ;) pups take a lot of time keeping and training to get them to behave etc...it's a shame in general but think more of having a pet when you do have just the time for that puppy and not so much other worries on your hands and good luck with getting him re-homed to suitable owners who really know the breed.:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice