Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Our first ever 'walk to heel' using a Mekuti balance harness

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Cleo38, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Despite lots of lead training Roxy does still pull, not half as bad as when we initally got her but enough some days to make walking her difficult.

We usually use a dogmatic head collar or walkezee harness which do help but though I'd also try the Mekuti harness.

Our first few times using it weren't successful, I couldn't see how this could be recommended as she was even worse with this. So instead of just sending it back I contacted the lady via the website who was really helpful & gave me some more tips on how to use it.

OMG!!!!! We had a short walk around the garden initally then along the river bank & ROXY WALKED TO HEEL!!!!! I couldn't believe it :D We took it nice & slow, stopped if she got ahead & repositioned her then started again. Honestly, we have never even been close before, I was so pleased.

I probably won't use this on all our walks but will practise using this every day to try & end Roxy's need to be ahead the whole time. She used to get a bit stressed if she wasn't racing a head but using this she seemed calm & relaxed - hope it continues.

Just wondered if anyone else had used this & if this did improve your walks regarding pulling

2. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

I just had to look it up! So are you clipping the lead on at the front and back?
    I'm now using a strechy non pull one from Amazon- it actually encourages her to pull- but feels a bit easier on my shoulders:rolleyes:

3. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

It's actually a double ended lead - one clip & section of the lead threads through a ring on the front & attachs to the ring on the dogs side furthest away from you, the other clip attachs to the dogs side nearest you you .... if that makes sense!!

You hold the lead as you would reins of a horse & use them independently to keep your dog next to you. It was difficult to get the hang of at first until it was explained to me a bit more in depth from the contact on the website.

We started with a really short walk with little distractions to get us both used to it but despite doing that section of the walk many times I have NEVER gotten Roxy to walk to heel.

My neck & shoulders are so happy! :)

4. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

Ok, thanks sounds good.
    I've got to do something-Mollys getting away with murder at the minute. I only bought this harness on recommendation of lots of Springer owners- trust me to get the awkward one:p
    Cant wait to tell my OH I need more doggie stuff- he's gonna be thrilled:D

5. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

LOL, yes mines the same! According to him there's always something the dogs NEED

It's difficult for me when she starts to pull especially when I'm walking both together. i'm practising with the Metuki harness just when we are on our own at the moment as I need both hands to get used to the lead but hopefully once I've got the hang of it will be able to use it when out with both dogs

6. leashedForLife

:thumbup: Whoo-HOO!.... :thumbup:

7. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Well done :D.

8. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Thanks! This may be an every day thing for most people but this was something that I thought we would never achieve

There has been a real turning point lately for Roxy & although we still have a long way to go I am so pleased that she is making such progress & seems so much calmer in herself

9. Pheonix*Ella

Pheonix*Ella PetForums Junior

ohhh I'm very keen! Phe's already very happy to put a harness on so this shouldn't be any more work - she is a puller!

£30 though for the large size...just spent £12 on 2 whistles....uh ho.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice