UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to rush Branston to the vet this morning as he had some kind of allergic reaction to 'I have no idea what' :( His whole face was really swollen and all lumpy and bumpy, he looked a bit like the elelphant man :yikes:

Thankfully after a antihistamine shot and a steroid shot he deflated before our eyes and is now pretty much back to normal other than a slightly thick ear and a puffy forehead :(

He hadn't even been outside or had anything to eat so I've no idea what caused it. The vet thought maybe he had disturbed a hibernating wasp or something but I'd have thought I'd have heard him yelp if he's been stung (he's not the bravest of souls!)

He was horrendous at the vets AGAIN, we had to wait outside as he went completely mental as soon as we got there. Then I had to muzzle him in the examination room as he was ready to kill the vet :( It really upsets me that he gets like that, he is the soppiest most loving dog in the world with me - even in there he buried his head into me and looked up at me with his big sad eyes (well, actually this morning they were little slitty eyes :( ) but when the vet came near him he turned into the hound of Baskerville :yikes:

Anyway, a few more years knocked off my life from worrynig about the pickles, but thank goodness he seems fine now, I just wish I knew what had caused it. Has anyone else had this happen?

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
Those Pickles will send you grey way before your time :eek:: :frown2:. I have only ever seen Kilo all puffy when he had investigated a wasps' nest....but I really knew about it; he didn't suffer in silence as he went tearing about covered in wasps :eek:.

I'm pleased he's deflated (mostly) but can't think what might have caused it. Guessing his diet has been same as ever?

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Poor Branston (and you) I am glad he has deflated now :)

Don't worry too much about the vet they are used to some dogs being really off when there!! Thats what muzzles are for ;)

Have you tried just taking him in there on a walk or something armed with loads of nice treats and ask the staff to hand them out to him and then leave again?? Do this loads of times, building up to taking him in to be weighed etc (but to begin with walk in ask receptionist to give treats walk out again) It may help to desensitise him to the horror that is the vets office. It will be a lot of work but I had a dog yesterday who was literally so scared she vomited twice in the reception :(

As Branston is normally so placid etc I would say his aggression there is totally fear based and should be able to be at least reduced some what with a little training.

HTH xxxx

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Poor Branston :(

We've not had anything to that extent but a while ago (shortly after our first trip to the emergency vet with our eldest who had a horrendous stomach bug) our whippet came up in hives all over his quarters.

He'd not been out as he was starting with the bug as well, no food changes, no household changes. Our vet suggested a wasp as well but I can't imagine where he'd have found one. By the time we got him to the vet they'd gone down on their own but it was very odd. He's never had anything similar before or since.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those Pickles will send you grey way before your time :eek:: :frown2:. I have only ever seen Kilo all puffy when he had investigated a wasps' nest....but I really knew about it; he didn't suffer in silence as he went tearing about covered in wasps :eek:.

I'm pleased he's deflated (mostly) but can't think what might have caused it. Guessing his diet has been same as ever?
No change to his diet and he hadn't even eaten anything this morning when it happened. They did have some new treats yesterday that we've not had before... Ostrich cookies from Zooplus... but this swelling literally came on from 7am - 7.30am today so I can't believe it could be from something he ate yesterday could it?

·
Follow me on @popuppetstop on insta
4,131 Posts
arww poor branston glad to hear he is on the mend though! :) :) :) they don't half make you worry don't they :rolleyes:

·
We are all Ukraine
23,819 Posts
no idea..unless he managed to sneak something on the walk?

Scrip is terrible at vet..no wonder...i took him from the pound, next to the vet clinic...and he was vetted be fore we took him...

deep terror ..once he collapsed after the visit and had runnies, and very quick pulse...really scary that...
hope your lil one gets well soon...

·
Registered
48 Posts
We had a similar thing happen about 5 years ago. One of my girls went up behind the greenhouse and in no time at all, her face came up like elephant man. Her nose looked like a pigs snout and I was worried that she would not ba able to breathe if it swole up any more. Down the vet we went and had a jab and in no time at all, back to normal but it really scared me. The only thing we could think of was that we sometimes get toads behind the greenhouse and we wondered if she tried to sniff one of those. I guess we will never get to the bottom of it but luckily it never happened again

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
No change to his diet and he hadn't even eaten anything this morning when it happened. They did have some new treats yesterday that we've not had before... Ostrich cookies from Zooplus... but this swelling literally came on from 7am - 7.30am today so I can't believe it could be from something he ate yesterday could it?
No; the cookies would have caused a much faster reaction...have you changed washing up liquid? Washing powder? Cleaning products? Was it before or after a walk?

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Aww poor Branston, it used to happen to my Millie, she was stung many times:rolleyes::rolleyes: and her whole head would swell, its scary isnt it, look like they have been 10 rounds with Tyson:eek: in fact my vet gave me antihistamine supply to take home, think he got fed up of me fetching him out at midnight, reckon his wife thought we were having an affair:eek::eek::eek:

Glad all is ok now:D

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Awwwww poor Branston!!!

They do like to keep us on our toes! Glad that his little face has gone back down!

Bruno is just like that at the vets....its so embarrassing! We have a huge dog that will let you pull him about and do pretty much anything, and the little one who looks so cute, and yet wants to kill anyone who touches him at the vets!:nonod:

·
Banned
12,847 Posts
Poor Branston - how terrifying for you all! Glad he is on the mend now though.

·
Registered
8,343 Posts
Aw poor poor boy.:(

I hope he is ok now bless him. Extra cuddles tonight.

Have you tried zylkene for when he goes to the vet. It really works for alfies fear. Fireworks are going off and he is having a snooze now!:rolleyes: It might make it less stressful for him.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No; the cookies would have caused a much faster reaction...have you changed washing up liquid? Washing powder? Cleaning products? Was it before or after a walk?
No, nothing's changed and he hadn't been out for a walk, in fact hubby doesn't even think he'd been outside.

Hubby got up before me this morning, which is a rarity, at about 7am. He went down to the kitchen where the pickles sleep, put the kettle on, made a cuppa, opened the back door. Didn't notice anything unusual :rolleyes:

Then I dragged myself out of bed at about 7.30, went downstairs to my usual crazy pickle greeting! Straight away said "Aww Branston, what's wrong with your eye?" he had a puffy right eye. We assumed he must have something in it but couldn't see anything and it wasn't weepy at all, so thought maybe he had banged it while looning about with Lily or something. I made some cammomile tea to bathe it with and hubby went off to work.
While waiting for the tea to cool I went and got showered and dressed and by the time I came back downstairs Branston's whole face had swollen and he had big lumpy hives on his nose and head :(

I phoned hubby to tell him and try to work out what could have caused it, my first thought was that he had been stung by something or had touched something nasty in the garden but hubby said he hadn't even been outside before I came down, so whatever it was must have been in the kitchen and either happened just before hubby got up or between him and me getting up.

Very bizarre :confused:

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
This happened to Scooter when he was about 6 months old! One moment a wasp or a bee was flying near him, the next it was gone and within the hour he looked like a Melon-Shar Pei hybrid :(
Thankfully his swelling was mostly around his eyes and his cheeks, nothing around his mouth and his breathing wasn't affected so the vet we called said to give him piriton and to bring him in if his breathing was compromised or no improvement within about an hour.

I know what you mean about deflating before your eyes, he really did! No after effects of the medicine or the sting either. He doesn't snap at wasps or bees anymore, only flies.

Hope Branston mends as quickly as Scooter did and that there's no repeat performance!

ETA I agree that he would've reacted faster to the ostrich cookies if they were the cause, with my food allergy I react within 5 minutes maximum. Maybe keep an eye out for any insects that might've come in to hibernate and bitten him?

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Exactly the same has happened to Oscar but I thought it was caused by the cheese I'd given him... except he's had cheese before and since with no reaction.

The vet reasured me that most of the time it never happens again and that you never really know what triggered it (no need to investigate unless it keeps happening!).

Scary stuff though - I was so upset and worried. A bull terrier nose of a spaniel is just all wrong. :(

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.