Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Our decision regarding Angel :)

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by AngelEyes92, Jan 31, 2012.

1. AngelEyes92

AngelEyes92 PetForums Senior

Hi all, started a new post because I couldn't keep track of the other post :blink:

We have decided after considering all of the points the previous posts raised that we will not be mating Angel this time around, but will be mating her with another SWH either next season or the season after.

We're unsure as of yet whether we're going to import the semen from a sire with a better quality and bloodline, or if the breeder in the UK has a good strong bloodline, if we will take her to Devon to the stud.

I'm sure I can count on all of you to offer your advice when the time is right.

Thank you for your support today!

(That post makes it sound like I'm leaving :S Don't worry- I'm going nowhere. I may be a newbie but I like it here!!!)

2. kodakkuki

kodakkuki PetForums VIP

You'll have to keep us posted about every step of your journey- sounds like either way it will be a Very interesting one! SWD :)o can't spell it) has always been a breed I admire; though from a distance as I doubt I could be the right kind of owner for one. :(
    So really looking forward to some picture heavy threads of angel!

3. DoggieBag

DoggieBag PetForums VIP

Wise decision, hope things go well in the future. I am sure you will keep us posted :)

In the mean time I guess more photos of Angel will do :)

4. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

I am sure it will be an interesting journey :D giving you plenty of time to do some research into sires, other possible health-tests, bloodlines and pre-mates - it might even be worth, if you have the time, doing some pedigree research and trying to build up a database of dogs, and where available, health results - it can give you an excellent view of what sits where and how closely bred (or not) different dogs are.

It sounds like you are in the very early stages of the breed and I am sure there will be both excitement and trepidation and probably a few headscratchers along the way.

If you haven't done so already, then I would recommend investing in the Book of the Bitch - I think someone posted a link to it on the other thread, but just in case (and it seems they've changed the front cover :eek: - I am assuming it's the same book)

Book of the Bitch: Amazon.co.uk: J.M. Evans, Kay White: 9781860540233: Books

5. BlueBeagle

BlueBeagle PetForums VIP

Ok I will relink the German SWH site just incase the OP missed it in the previous thread. Google will translate it (although it is not a brilliant translation it does offer some useful information). It has on there information from a mating and the dogs were tested for hips, PRA (I think it is called gPRA in the UK as they wrote it out full on one page), cataracts and dwarfism.

They seem really helpful and informative and I am sure if the OP contacted them somebody would have enough English to help her if no breeders are in the UK. They also said they keep a database of all health tests and dogs in the club so that could also be useful, but for the life of me I can't find it this morning!!

Good luck with your research and it will be very exciting to have a pure SWH litter, I can't wait to follow your progress.

swh-club deutschland - Verein

#5 BlueBeagle, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  6. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

Didn't you say there was a slip mating with the Husky? Maybe you'll have to go for a mismate just in case :)

7. AngelEyes92

What's that mean?

8. terencesmum

terencesmum PetForums VIP

A slip mating could produce pups, so it might be advisable to get a mismate, ie get the morning-after pill. ;)

9. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

Aww i'm glad you have chosen to wait, good luck with at search for a suitable stud and in the future we can all happily love looking at puppy pic's :D

10. shetlandlover

shetlandlover PetForums VIP

A mismate would be a good way forward, a mismate means that if she is pregnant the pregnancy wont progress.

I am very pleased to see you are actually interested in the breed rather than what we see alot on here which is selfish people who care little about the breed they own but more what would be cute or easiest.

I would like to say thank you to you, its such a refreshing thing to see someone who actually is grateful for the advice they get. I am sure you will go very far in helping your breed with a fantastic will to learn, which you clearly have.

Best of luck on your ventures and good luck to your bitch.

11. AngelEyes92

Sorry, didn't see that you haad posted. With regard to a mismate, do I just pop into the vets and ask for one? Is there any kind of time limit? And is there any chance it wouldn't work?

The dogs didn't tie, that we saw, but we were in the house for approx. 30 mins as the stud owner's friend fainted in the garden :eek: Though there was no noise as there would have been if there was a tie- what sort of percentage of a potential pregnancy am I looking at? (This won't affect my decision of a mismate, even a small chance is still a chance)

12. shetlandlover

shetlandlover PetForums VIP

The mismate works better the earlier given. Just take her in to the vets and say you want the mismate jab, they will do the rest. :) Many dogs get pregnant without a tie, so sadly there is a chance your bitch could be pregnant.

I can't remember what day it can be given up till, someone with more knowledge in that area should be on shortly.

13. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

One of the OH's bitches had 8 pups from a slip mating last time round; if you are keen to do things the right way, I would opt for the mismate this time round, just to make sure, and in the meantime you will be able to research further about other conditions you feel might be worth testing for, as well as possible stud dogs here, or importing semen from abroad. :)

14. AngelEyes92

I will be opting for the mismate. Will give my vets a ring first thing in the morning, I don't want to risk pregnancy after getting my hopes up on establishing the breed in this country... Why on earth did I even consider producing cross breeds when I have a fantastic opportunity to establish and enhance the gene pool in the UK?!

15. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

Don't be too hard on yourself ;) - you were willing to listen and learn and all credit to you for doing so ;)

I'm quite envious in a way at the position you find yourself in, exciting and daunting at the same time, but what a potential opportunity ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice