UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

My first question on the forum, so here goes...

Sadly, earlier on this year, we lost our little mog Monty, to the road in our village.

He left behind his brother Oscar, and two broken owners, my wife and I. Through fear of losing Oscar in the same way (although statistically unlikely), Oscar is now a house cat. We waited just over 6 months and then rescued a kitten, Ollie, from our local Cats Protection, as a new companion for Oscar.

I'm going off track a little here... Although these guys are now house-bound, we wanted them to still experience the outdoor environment at their leisure, so we built an enclosure onto the back of our house. A so called "Catio". See attached photos.

At the moment, as you can see in the pics we're putting their indoor toys out there when the weather is good, but Id like to build some more robust all weather items... Platforms, ramps, that sort of thing. Id like to start with an easy item - a scratchpost.

I know that most normal posts are made from Sisal rope, but Im not sure if this is suitable for outdoors. Does anyone have any experience or advice on what type of rope I might need to make a scratch post suitable for an outdoor environment? I worry that some oily ropes that would probably be Ok, would, by the same token, be harmful to a cat.

Many thanks!
Matt

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much for this guys, I wasn't expecting replies so soon!

I'll be sure to scoot across to "cat runs" and have a look there.

By the way - Mogwarts.... brilliant! And I thought "Catio" was a clever name :)

Cheers
Matt

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your advice, and comments!

Looks like hemp or sisal will do the job, although we're leaning a little more towards hemp because of its outdoor properties.

I'll add an update when we've finished.

Thanks again
Matt
: )

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.