Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Our Border Collie has started to wander

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by irisedd, Jul 14, 2009.

1. irisedd

irisedd PetForums Newbie

Our 10-year old Border Collie came from a rescue centre about 5 years ago, having been previously ill-treated. She has always been very fearful of people, dogs, sticks, balls,buzzing insects etc ----- has even been chased by a mouse !------ but has developed into a loving and obedient pet to my husband and I. She would never play however, even with us, although we have watched through a window as she plays by herself ------ pulling apples off trees and using them like a ball, thowing small sticks into the air and pouncing on them but as soon as she realises we're watching she stops and slinks indoors as if she has done something wrong.
    She loves to run but will only do it with me or my husband, when she gets very excited ; energetic grandchildren have spent hours trying to win her confidence to no avail. In recent months she has started leaving our property ( we have 3 acres ) and wandering across roads and we are naturally very worried as she has absolutely no road sense and we are doubtful if she could find her own way home. Every time we've noticed she was missing we have had to drive around to find her and bring her back.
    We are in our 70s and I've recently had a hip replacement and my husband has knee problems, which naturally has restricted our ability to run with her. Is it boredom which is making her wander and can anyone suggest anything we can do to stop the dangerous roaming? She is very precious to us, but we feel we are letting her down through no fault of our own.

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Can you have an area of your garden fenced in just for her?

I believe you may be legally responsible should she cause an accident or were to bite someone.

If thats not an option, then a tie out cable would stop her from wandering.

3. rona

rona Guest

I think there is only one solution and that is a fence

4. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

Hello iris and welcome to the forum.

I think the other two make good points about fencing in the garden or using a tie line when she is out in the garden. Another thought though, is it possible for you to find someone else to exercise her daily? It doesn't need to be a running around type of exercise, she can stay on her lead if you feel that she would be unstrustworthy with anyone other than you and your husband, but a good long walk everyday is essential for any dog - especially a Border Collie! The mental stimulation that comes from a change of environment will do her the world of good

If you don't know of anyone (neighbour, friend etc) then you could ask at your vets for a local Dog Walker, or look in yellow pages.

Best of luck

5. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

If she likes running with you, would she run alongside a bicycle? Cycling is a lot easier on the human than running and the dog still gets the exercise. And you must stop her wandering, either a long tie-out line or better fencing. Have you tried luring her to play by you and your husband playing together near her? You could throw a ball between you and every so often make sure it 'accidentally' falls near her. If you two play near her, she could get to think that play is acceptable and a safe thing to do. Is there another dog nearby that she can learn to play alongside?

6. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Hi, welcome to the forum.

She sounds like my collie x, Lilly. Although we do not have wandering problems.

You may have to consider fencing in some of the garden to keep her secure. I wouldn't worry to much about her getting lost, they have a great sense of smell. However, as you said, you wouldn't want her to get run over.

Although it is lovely that you have so much land, a dog needs a change of environement. Collie's are very intelligent and need stimulation. As alphadog said, consider a dog walker.

x

7. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Very high fence and make sure there is nowhere she can dig to get out or jump onto to get over the fence! My collie cross wandered and since I've taken all these precautions I've had no problems :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice