UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were getting a bit fed up with the state our garden was getting in during the bad weather.
Our soil is London clay so drainage is abysmal. penny was coming is filthy and digging in the mud a lot.

This is how it looked on a good day.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
First thing I did was extend the patio, one of our neighbours put a note through the door saying anyone could take the old one he did not need anymore.
This now goes right across to the shed.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Wow! That looks great. Was that price for everything or did you have to install it yourself? I had considered having artificial grass, OH would love it, but always thought the installation would be the costly part.

Here's to the clean paws and bellies!

·
Registered
23,248 Posts
Its looking great!:D I love my astroturf, even though I didnt have it laid and so its kinda lumpy in places!:eek:
TBH even if I got a huge garden I would probably still make the first section an astroturf dog lawn!

G

·
That is brilliant I've been toying with the idea of having it done as in summer we have to rely on the neighbour to mow our lawn while away and it's a bit of a footer for him.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
just wondering does it stain in the same way as grass does? no staining from dog wee? Wee is quite toxic so was just wondering lol

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
just wondering does it stain in the same way as grass does? no staining from dog wee? Wee is quite toxic so was just wondering lol
No, no stains. I've had it down for 2 years and it's brilliant - really easy to pick up from, hose or sweep down (or just let the rain wash it). No mud, no patches. When pegging out the washing, I just dump the wet, clean clothes on the 'grass' - never a mark on them.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The price was fully supplied and installed. They work on about £50-55 Sq metre depending on the turf, we went for a short pile.

For me to have done the work, I think it would have cost about £800, plus probably days and days of work.

I have not noticed any staining yet, it washes really easily.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
See I'm just not sure - fake grass, doesn't feel right to me, looks good but...

On the other hand the first thing we did when we moved in was remove the turf and gravel the area immediately outside the back door for that exact same reason.

Didn't work though, Rory didn't like walking on the gravel, even when we put stepping stones down for him, he walked round the flower beds so it didn't solve the problem.

·
Registered
23,248 Posts
Fake grass actually feels really good to walk on!:D Its like outdoor carpeting and unlike real grass you tend not to get an army of bugs hiding in it!!
My dogs love it as its so much easier to walk on. Mine is only in a tiny space with a large raised bed in the middle but the dogs can now get alot more traction with their claws and spend alot of time in the garden zooming round and round the bed playing chase!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
79 Posts
I want one! If it wasn't for the expense.... I might have to save up for one!

Leaky5, I noticed this thread is a good few months old now, are you still happy with your artificial lawn? Also, how long are they meant to last before they need replacing?

Our lawn wasn't the best even before we got our dog, as not much light gets to the bottom end where the shed is, so it's always been quite muddy/bald up there. Would love to have a lush, green lawn all year through (with no wee burn patches)!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I want one! If it wasn't for the expense.... I might have to save up for one!

Leaky5, I noticed this thread is a good few months old now, are you still happy with your artificial lawn? Also, how long are they meant to last before they need replacing?

Our lawn wasn't the best even before we got our dog, as not much light gets to the bottom end where the shed is, so it's always been quite muddy/bald up there. Would love to have a lush, green lawn all year through (with no wee burn patches)!
Still looks really good. We have an old Dyson we use for cleaning the cars and I have run it over the garden a couple of times and it looks as good as new.

With the weather over the last few months it has been a god send, water soaks through and snow can be swept up if needed.

It is guaranteed for 10 years against faults. Now the ground work is done, I would probably be OK in putting a new top layer of the grass down myself if needed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.