Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Our 8 week old Yorkie :)

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Chrisc91, May 10, 2017.

1. Chrisc91

Chrisc91 PetForums Newbie

We got our 8 week old Yorkie just over a week ago he came a little early from him mother but we had to get him at that time, he's great! We are crate training him which he is fine with in the day, he does whine a little when we leave but he's always chilled out in his bed when we return 2-3 hours later, night time we always try and get him relaxed and sleepy and place him in his bed in his crate so he's asleep, this works every night, however he does wake up every 2-3 hours, he doesn't bark or tap just whines to come out, we live in flats on the ground floor so I don't really like leaving him to wake neighbours etc as people will understand.

I usually take him out and settle him again before putting him back in his bed, how long will this last for? He will wee when I get him out the majority of the time, but if I don't get him in time he will have a little accident in the crate but not near his bed.

I've read this is all due to his age and how long he can hold his bladder for? I'm hoping he will start to sleep through once he is able to be walked in the evening etc.

Thanks for any info :)

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Hes doing exactly what a good puppy does...cry when they need to toilet, your not quick enough to notice this.

It may be a few weeks yet, most toy breeds leave breeders after 8 weeks old simply because they are slower to develop in areas such as their teeth not all come through, their sphincter muscle may behind say a Labrador pup but that's often say a week.

Have you noticed a pattern of time with the toileting? You could pre empty this by setting an alarm on taking your puppy out before she starts to toilet..no fuss or play just straight outside toilet praise, back to bed.

Your puppy is 8 weeks old, she is a tiny baby, more so than others at this age..you need to understand this, and ideally leaving her at 7 weeks for for 2-3 hours you are quite lucky its working. Usually you leave puppies from day one, but for short minute breaks not hours.

3. The Wild Bunch

The Wild Bunch Owner of dogs and referee of children

I have a shih tzu pup and in her first couple of weeks she was going out at 11pm, 2am and 5am. I had my alarm set to get up with her. As tiring as it is, it is necessary and doesn't last long. Once she hit 10 weeks, she was sleeping through from 11pm to 5am. She's now 12 weeks and we have almost mastered daytime toilet training too with accidents becoming a rarity. Remember that ant accidents should be ignored. It is not your puppy's fault that you didn't take her out (it is ours) chastisement will only make her do it on secret where you can't see which becomes a hard habit to break

lullabydream likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice