Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Our 4 year old has Arthritis

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by bmxwidow, Jul 19, 2009.

1. bmxwidow

bmxwidow PetForums Junior

Our Border Collie had to have her back knee cap replaced and the knee rebuilt when she was 2 years old and we were told about a year later that she had arthritis in the joint.

About 4 weeks ago she started showing signs of the other knee playing her up for which the vet prescribed metacam and minimal exercise.

Now her operated knee is playing her up again and she is really struggling getting up and about and doesn't want to go for walks. Taking her back to the vet this week but just wondered if anyone had any advice or similiar problems?

Thanks

2. rona

rona Guest

I've got almost the same problem with my boy who is 8 years old, he strained a cruciate ligament last September and has since developed arthritis quite badly in the joint.
    I assume that you are giving Glucosomine and condritin supplements.
    The other things that help mine at the moment are hydrotherapy, and he has just had a course of Cartrophen injections, which seemed to have worked quite well

3. bmxwidow

Thanks Rona. We thought about hydrotherapry, she loves swimming and we haven't let her go for couple of weeks because thought the cold water would be the worse thing but I know swimming is meant to be good.

We are also considering an orthaepedic bed for her. Oh and we are having carpet fitted in our lounge on tuesday, currently got wooden flooring and been told this won't help. Poor thing, it's so sad to see her struggling. The first 2 years of her life she was an active crazy pup but since her operation she has changed dramatically. Makes the love you share so much stronger though doesn't it.

4. rona

rona Guest

I find it so heartbreaking.
    Have you had a chat to your vet about Cartrophen?

5. bmxwidow

No, but we are going next week so will mention it then. We are giving her vetzyme cod liver oil and some joint tablets as well at the moment.

6. rona

rona Guest

I'm trying to keep mine off the Metacam as much as possible. Although it's quite safe there can be problems if you use it long term

7. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

You could also try a magnetic collar. Ive had great success with a Bioflow one.

I agree with rona, glucosamine and chondroitin really are a must. Cod liver oil has limited effect on already present inflammation.

8. bmxwidow

Whats wrong with Metacam? Megan is on that at the moment.

Never heard of a magnetic collar either so will definetly look into that. Thanks x

9. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Metacam is an NSAID, all of which have side effects if used long term. It can cause liver damage, and ulceration and bleeding in the GI-tract.

It can also cause lethargy, bloody poos, black tarry poos, the runs, and loss of appetite.

Its not something that should be used on a long term basis.

Ive lost a cat due to the side effects of Metacam.

10. bmxwidow

Blimey, ok thanks for that! Will stop using it.

11. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Consult with your vet first. They may feel the side effect risks are worth it, in order to make life tolerable for the dog.

There are drugs specifically for arthritis, such as previcox, but each and everyone has side effects. You have to weigh up the pros and cons.

Do try a magnetic collar though. There is also hydrotherpay and acupuncture. You can get magnetic joint wraps too i think.

12. rona

rona Guest

Obviously you have to way up the effects of not using it though, the dog has to have a life so if Metacam is the only thing that works then you just have to use it, but do try other things as well.
    I know that mine will be on Metacam later in life but I am trying everything else, one at a time, so I know what is working.
    Hydro normally reduces to swelling and allows him to extend his leg properly, also wears him out!!!
    The Cartrophen didn't seem to work at first, it's four injections over a month and they are supposed to show improvement after the 3rd or 4th injection, but mine was about a month after the course had finished

13. bmxwidow

Ok guys will speak to vet first. Thanks for your advice. It's nice to talk to someone with similar problems. We are both very upset about Megan and are keen to find something to help her and hopefully get her fitness levels back, to a certain degree at least. We miss not taking her for walks and know she misses running around. Fingers crossed x

14. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

Dont just stop metacam without first discussing the pro's n cons with ur vet.
    Although longterm use can cause probs it is still a benificial drug when used to the dogs advantage.
    U stop giving painkillers the dog stops using the affected limb, this results in less blood flow to damged area and less regeneration and increased muscle loss.
    Again hydro in a heated pool is benificial as limbs can move freely fully supported and cusioned in water, it allows the muscles to excercise without trauma to the joints, the warm water encourages blood flow again good.
    Ur supplements are great although the damage is irreversable the supplements will slow down the disease.
    Magnetic collars work for some not all, although my boy is much better with his.
    Accupuncture is good if used in conjunction with other therapies such as hydro. As this works by causing a reaction u need to encourage the dog to move and continue moving to gain full affect and minimise muscle loss.
    I do go on about muscle loss ;) but think about it...the skeletal system relies on muscles for movement no matter how good or bad the joints are its the muscles which give support and allow movement.:)

15. rona

rona Guest

How often do you think a badly affected dog should have hydro to prevent muscle loss?
    I'm lucky at the moment, my boy is still managing to walk quite well

16. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

Well as u no some take to it quicker than others...it really depends on the dog, start with 2-3 short sessions a week, every other day is a good way of doing it. Then as fitness and enjoyment increases cut down on the sessions and have 1-2 longer sessions per week. If ur dog is able to move and exercises freely without pain between sessions then job done and a maintenance of once a week is good.

17. rona

rona Guest

:(:( I'm not going to be able to afford that when the insurance stops paying :crying:

18. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

Saying that though Nonnie, i used it on my old boy for 2 years (at the age of 12) for his arthritis and he had no side effects to it. He had to be put to sleep in the end due to having had a stroke! So i think it depends on the animal, but i would rather give short bouts of metacam than have 'my friend' in pain. ;)

I do agree other things can help too, with Legend (the one that had the metacam)he had OCD and had both shoulders operated on at the Animal Health Trust in Newmarket when he was 9 months old and at the time we had already put him on DENES GREENLEAF TABLETS for his discomfort and the A.H.T vets were amazed at how well he was managing as his shoulders were apparently really bad!! So if you can get hold of them i think they may help, we had Legend on them for his whole life, with glucosamine and chondroitin and cod liver capsules! ;):)

I am sorry to go on but had to fill you in for it all to make sense!! Good luck, i know how hard it is to watch them feeling uncomfortable, just remember we had nearly 14 years with Legend and spent many hours in the woods with him enjoying life to the full!! :D :D

19. sarahberra

sarahberra PetForums Member

Have you tried giving her Cod liver oil? That helps the joints and it also helps to ease the pain of arthritis.

20. bmxwidow

All was going well with Megan, been giving her medication and keeping her on restricted walks and she has been showing no signs of limping/struggling.

Last night after her usual 10 min walk she wouldn't settle, kept coming up to us and I knew she wanted another walk. Thinking she was feeling better we gave in and took her to her favourite place and I know we probably shouldn't of, but we let her off the lead (first time in about 4 weeks) and she loved it. We didn't encourage her ie: throw sticks or anything, we just let her do what she wanted to do and we ended up having a 40 minute walk with her, something we haven't been able to do for ages now.

She was fine all the time we were out and even hopped in back of van to come home, but within about an hour of been back home she started showing signs that she was struggling again and was limping around and generally looking sad.

Woke up this morning and she's fine again. Just come back from 10 minute walk and she seems fine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice