Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Our 12 week old kitten had to be put to sleep

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Mrs vw, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Mrs vw

Mrs vw PetForums Newbie

Hi i wonder if any one can help me, our 12 week old kitten was put to sleep on saturday due to a illness he had from birth, i am just trying to find out if the vet should have picked up some thing was wrong, as his sister was 3 times the size of him and his weight was low, when we found him, he was in a bad way, all his organs were shutting down, it was something to do with his intestines not growing with his body, when he was little the body could cope but as he got biger his body just crashed, i did tell the vet he was very sleepy and never had any energy to the piont he never played at all, i am just in shock as i never throught i would be doing this again, as we havd to put our 7 year old to sleep in september last year due to cancer, i am really worried some thing will happern to his sister :(

Any help would be great,

2. Cazzer

Cazzer PetForums VIP

sorry to hear about your poor boy. Have no knowledge of the illness but didn't want to read and not post something.

How long did you have him for given that the poor soul was only 12 weeks? Have you spoken to his breeder?

3. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Firstly, welcome to the Pets Forum and secondly SO, SO sorry to hear about your little man. You must be devastated. :(

I would imagine this is something that would be difficult for a vet to pick up on when examining a kitten. It is not an obvious thing to look for when you give kittens the once over.

Back in 1992, I got two kittens - Rosie & Thistle (later to become Slugger because he liked to eat the slugs!!!) Rosie was a wee adventurer - always the first to get into mischief, Slugger always a few steps behind. She developed much quicker until she got to the 4 month stage and then one night we noticed she was very lethargic and 'hingy'. To cut long story a bit shorter, it turned out that she had an enlarged heart. It is extremely rare to get this in kittens. We had to have her pts as she was too young for it to be manageable in the way it can be in a mature cat.

Slugger, on the other hand, only ever had one illness his entire life - hyper-thyroidism. First bout at 13 followed up by a recurrance when he was 17 which is when we lost him.

So, even though kittens are related, this does not mean they will both be afflicted by the same problems.

I hope this helps to put your mind at rest a bit.

4. Mrs vw

Mrs vw PetForums Newbie

Hi thanks for your words, we picked them both up when they were 8 weeks, but i went to see them form when they were 6 weeks old so they could get to know me,i know that lady well that we got them from she was really upset to hear about him, i asked her if the other kittens were ok, his sister seems to be ok, she was looking for him for a while but i think she knows he has gone :(

5. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

So sorry for the loss of your kitten :(
    If his sister is acting normally, eating and drinking well, it is doubtful that she will have the same problem as your poor little boy.
    When did he see the vet? I would have thought that a vet would see the difference in the two kittens and realise that there was something not right. Even if he had found the problem with your kitten though it sounds as if nothing could have been done to help him :(

6. Mrs vw

Mrs vw PetForums Newbie

Hi, i am just in shock, i throught i would have them both for a long time :( yes his sister is eating and drinking lots, and seems to be more relxed since Leroy has gone, we took them to the vets on the 12th of march for the jabs, there was a big differnce in size but she said that was normal, and nothing to worry about, it was only last week that we saw a big change in him and saw how sinny he was, i called the vet and they said it was his sister eating all the food and not letting him have any, so i fed him on his own, evern gave him chicken, he did eat and drink but he just kept lossing weight, i called the vat again and she said bring him in but i am sure its nothing to worry about, well that moring is when i found my little fella :(

7. Mrs vw

Mrs vw PetForums Newbie

Hi Thanks for your words, you know you just find yourself worring that something is going to happern to the other one, she seems to be more relaxed now that Leroy has gone, its really strange, i think she knew he wasnt well

8. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I really am sorry :(:(
    I think your vet could have been more helpful perhaps and seen him sooner. Kittens can go downhill so quickly :(
    Wishing your little girl kitten a long and happy life with you

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice