Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Other Spaniel Owners

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by RAINYBOW, Jan 20, 2012.

1. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

How do you deal with the "bog off" ??

or is it just Oscar ???.

I let him off today and he just went missing for 15 minutes. I always roughly know where he is and he always comes back "when he is done". It is a safe area and i don't let him off if i haven't got the time to wait for him but obviously this is a monumental recall issue but NOTHING compares to a good old riflle through the brambles on the scent of an ilusive rabbit.

2. Grace_Lily

Grace_Lily PetForums VIP

Sam is a very much 'bog off' dog, so he isn't allowed off his long line for now :D

The other 4 Spaniels aren't like this at all, so not sure if it's a Spaniel trait or just a naughty dog trait! I work on Sam's recall every time he's walked and he is slowly improving, it is difficult though because he isn't toy orientated and he'd rather bog off than have a treat, if Oscar likes his toys or is food orientated maybe that's the way to get him to come back?

3. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

Believe me i have tried every trick in the book to build his recall but when those bunnies call i simply cant compete, even with hotdog :eek: :D

4. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Good job he didn't come across an aggressive dog.

5. Shazach

Shazach PetForums VIP

Hmmm, maybe Zach's a spaniel!!! :D

6. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy PetForums VIP

I whistle-train. I assume he`s hunting?
    If you can get him focussed on a toy and play more while out, he should stay closer.

7. theevos5

theevos5 PetForums VIP

sorry not a spaniel owner but a beagle one does that count:001_rolleyes::001_rolleyes:

we have a bog off beagle,thought we had sussed it,and we obviously haven't.:mad:I have worked harder than anyone I know with recall and our walks are a training session,we have it cracked in the house,we have it cracked in the garden and we have it cracked on walks until the little bugger gets a sniff and then he is off.It could take 2 weeks until he does it again or maybe a month but you never know when he is gonna do it until I see the back of him tracking a sniff and then he just goes.Leaving me standing with his lead and my whistle,and he comes back when he is done,usually no longer than 5 mins-And then we have our angel back who walks to heel off lead will do everything asked of him,with the help of treats but he is only on loan until the next time:)

8. Grace_Lily

Grace_Lily PetForums VIP

I think Sam's problem is he really is in his own little world. I'm always really enthusiastic with his recall, and by enthusiastic I mean high pitched voice and flailing my arms around like a loony, and once he engages with me he runs back and is really pleased with himself. The hard part is getting him to acknowledge me!

It's almost like he's a bit deaf, except he never fails to race to the kitchen when he hears his dinner being served up :rolleyes:

9. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

squeaky toy?

10. Werehorse

Werehorse PetForums VIP

Fortunately my Oscar doesn't do this, I'd be quite panicky if he did I think and OH wouldn't cope at all (he's far more panicky then me in this regard). Oscar "works" the undergrowth around us but doesn't seem to understand what his nose is actually for in terms of tracking game. It might just be one of those things you have to wait out when it happens and accept it? Or go back to square 0 on recall training?

11. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

I dont know if I'm lucky or what , Mollys my first and hasn't ever give me recall problems, the other Spaniels I know are also really good.:confused:
    My little Teckel sometimes gives me a hard time though

12. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

Unlikely when he is buried deep in scrub, do you own a spaniel :)

13. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

tried and failed.

There is no distraction on this earth when he is like this ;)

14. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

mm this is what i worry about chester...once his nose hits the ground...he's a different dog :eek: i worry about holes etc and him getting stuck...once he has a scent its hard work getting him off it x

15. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

air horn????????

16. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

chester is quite funny to watch...he even walks sideways with the scent...but as i said i worry about holes etc...my neighbours dog go stuck in a hole...tried to dig him out but couldn't..after about four days...the dog had lost weight he manage to sqeeze out and was clawing at the front door at 2 in the morning x

17. debs78

debs78 PetForums Senior

Willow was very much a 'thanks for the lift mum, I'll see you in an hour' kind of dog :rolleyes: so I taught her "not too far". This was understood to mean you can go have a sniff but you stay within my sight. I also now use it with Maisie and Lucy. Maisie never goes far anyway and Lucy is really starting to 'get it'.

18. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

Is it , A Springer versus Cocker thing?

19. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

someone once told me a springer comees back when it is asked and a cocker comes back when the job is done. I have to say this is very much my experience of the 2 :D

20. XxZoexX

XxZoexX PetForums VIP

Im quite lucky too as Jack is completly focused on us while out.. Doesnt go more than a few feet unless its to retrieve a toy or jump in a lake :rolleyes:.
    I think that is because he has such a love of toys tho.. If i only took treats it may be totally differant as he has no interest in food while out.
    I know his nose isnt broke hes great at finding things ive checked :eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice